Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you guys wont believe this. I was working on my car tonight , replacing my front two wheels with my stockers because of worn tires...... Im going to drop the car back down and about halfway down the jack lets a creek out and then just fuddles to the ground...

I was like WTF , this isnt some hydraulic jack. It shouldnt have droppped like that. Well the jack broke and thank god I wasnt underneath. (somehow the threads got eaten up)

My car is pretty low and I watched it as it fell to about 3-4 inches off the ground then went back up and settled....not much room for a human skull or chest....

Well anyways Iam VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY pissed at honda , they shouldnt have jacks like this. Im hoping to take this further and possibly get something done.....

But this is a warning DO NOT USE honda jacks for anything other than a tire change. YOU MUST GET JACKSTANDS , i REPEAT USE JACK-STANDS OR YOUR SKULL WILL GET CRUSHED OR YOU WILL GET TRAPPED UNDERNEATH YOUR CAR FOR WHO KNOWS HOW LONG.....going through who knows how much pain....

Iam again very pissed that my jack broke , my car weighs less than it did before and it should be able to take that weight and then some......I never misused the jack.....let alone I barely did ever use it. It was on level surface in my garage....everything looked lubed nicely on the jack.....I see no reason for it to give out when I had an optimal setup.

So this is a warning , tell all your friends dont use honda jacks , or any scissor/car included jack for that matter. When I watched my car drop like it had hydros in front of me it was a BIG WAKE-UP CALL....If you work on your car go get jack-stands now.

:(

·
Registered
71 Posts
that sux. here is what honda will say: that jack isnt meant for modified cars and is only meant to raise one wheel at a time so on that note have a nice day. it sux but they are assholes.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1fastsi said:
that sux. here is what honda will say: that jack isnt meant for modified cars and is only meant to raise one wheel at a time so on that note have a nice day. it sux but they are assholes.
I did only one wheel at one time. I swear when it happend I was tired and finishing up so it didnt really hit me till later. But damn I could have died....fuggin honda im gonna piss on your jack.

·
Registered
71 Posts
lol.

they make cool cars but i hate the service or parts department. its like a battle that i lost before i started.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
yeah it would be a good idea to get a floor jack instead of using that scissor one, as its meant for like 3 uses or whatever emergency tire change thats required...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Now, were you using this out on the open road, or at home in your garage? If at home, why on earth would you use it anyways? Do you not own a "real" floor-jack? Plus, yes you are suppose to use Jack-Stands whenever a car is lifted. I learned this at an early age for my grandfather owned his own garage next door and one of his employees snapped some ribs when a car came down on him for he did not use jack-stands as well. :rolleyes:

I've always thrown away the car manufacturers jack whenever I bought a car, new or used. I have a little 2 ton jack that comes in two pieces in my Lude. It's got wheels!!:eek:

P.S., the parts department at my local dealer is cool as hell. When we find out how much money the littlest part will cost, the gentleman at the desk gets on the phone and calls local salvage yards for me. I needed a wire-harness for the 94 VTEC which would of costed me over $2,000.00. He made a few phone calls and found one for $40.00 bucks.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

P.S., the parts department at my local dealer is cool as hell. When we find out how much money the littlest part will cost, the gentleman at the desk gets on the phone and calls local salvage yards for me. I needed a wire-harness for the 94 VTEC which would of costed me over $2,000.00. He made a few phone calls and found one for $40.00 bucks.
that cant be right sound like BS to me

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Wire-harness from Honda = $2,000.00
Wire-harness from Jim's Auto Salvage = $40.00

Sorry my friend, no bullshit... I have no need to lie to you...

·
Registered
756 Posts
get a floor jack. i have 6 jack stands, 3 floor jacks, and 2 scissor jacks and almost always use back up jack stands if i'm not using the 6-ton stands

·
Registered
567 Posts
That happened to my brother as well, when he was working on his 99 civic si.............good thing he wasn't underneath it.

I've told this to many people....Don't use scissor jacks!!! Think about it, the only thing holding your car up is the threads on a rod. Now I know that many rods can be rated for a lot of weight, but I dont' trust any fucking thread that small to hold my car up while I'm under it.

Good to see you're ok!

·
Registered
148 Posts
yeah... i think those dinky jacks that honda gives u are for emergency, road-side tire changing purposes only... they are not meant for common use... you should definitely invest 50-80 bucks at priceclub or costco or sams club or watever wholesaler u got in ur area and get a decent hydro jack

im glad u werent underneath tho...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I really didn't think people used those scissor jacks. I remember like 2 years ago I was changing rims on my car and I started out using the scissor jack and after like 5 mins of turning on that little thing I said screw it and went a bought a floor jack. :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Turbo Lude SH said:
I really didn't think people used those scissor jacks. I remember like 2 years ago I was changing rims on my car and I started out using the scissor jack and after like 5 mins of turning on that little thing I said screw it and went a bought a floor jack. :)
Did the same exact thing here :D

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
id hate to say it, but i always use my stock jack to change my oil and also to take my rim on and off.

·
Registered
513 Posts
JDMFreak said:
that cant be right sound like BS to me
Ha Ha man, I should go to every damn junkyard out there and sell them for 50% off!!! how does $1,000.00 bucks do....ANYONE??? I'll pay for the shippping

:laff:

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GldCrzy said:
id hate to say it, but i always use my stock jack to change my oil and also to take my rim on and off.
I think I did an oil change or two. I would place a whole tire underneath the car with me for a security , but still....

This is a lesson learned. Do not get underneath the car with a scissor jack.....they are shit.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts