Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

hybrid= too much trouble

5K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  Stripes777 
#1 ·
having a hybrid car, i think its just too much trouble, actually im stressed about my recent smog situation. i gotta take it to a test only center. i did today and it didnt pass, well no shit huh?!? the smog thing is too much trouble. i think imma sell my car and get a 94 gsr.

btw, if i sell the car , and the guy who buys it isnt able to pass smog, can he come back to me and ask for money back or something like that? if not, then imma start posting my car on the recycler. thanks guys

#3 ·
Having a hybrid is not that much trouble. Just make sure that you use the right ECU, inatke manifold, etc. with the motor you use. In other words, don't try to run that SOHC VTEC with a stock SI ECU or that GSR with a 1G JDM B16A ECU. And make sure the engine is newer than the car. If you do this, do everything right in the swap, and the engine is in good shape, you should be fine.

As for selling a car that cannot smog, this is not a problem as long as you let the buyer know about the situation. If you don;t tell the buyer this, then he does have legal recourse.

#4 ·
I agree except that I don't have a hybrid, I think it's too much trouble to get one, and it's really stressing me out that I can't figure out a way to get the cash for an engine swap. The 92-95 civic hb is like my favorite car but I don't want one unless I can get an engine swap. Even though I want one really bad I think im gonna have to settle for a 94-97 integra gsr.

#6 ·
What's your setup? The setup for my bro's B16A EG-6 passes smog with flying colors... There must be something wrong with the engine management aspect of your swap (ecu? wiring? sensors? is the cat on the car?)... don't sell the car yet... the problem might be simple to solve your smog situation... we started off with problems too but when we solved them the rewards were great...

#22 ·
si92hb
Never been there. Right now my car is down. Need a wire harness and a head for it. Although I think get a new engine will be cheaper then finding a head.
Win you doing the H22 swap? I am going to do it sometime this summer. Would like to keep in touch if you don’t mind to see how it goes. My ICQ # 16459270 or AIM ich folge

#23 ·
ok the reason i failed was cus the guy said my timing was off, it showed on the paper, 8 btdc, and my NO was high on the measurements.

this really pisses me off, i jsut got the car checked out and the guy said timing was fine, on top of that, everything else on the test passed flalwessly, like CO measurement, not even close to failing, how the heck could the NO be twice as the limit?

my friend and i think the guy did this to sabotage on me on purpose. i am asian and that area is mostly hispanics, got nothing agaisnt hispanics, i have many friends of that race, just saying this guy might of messed me up on purpose cus i was young and asian, what a bitch huh.

well wutever, tomro im going to another somg place, hopefully they dont pull any shit, and plus i will pretest before i get it smogged. whew, so much for venting ( haha but seriously, if i pass at another place without altering my car at all, im going back to the first place and gona tell them some shit, they can be reported too correct?)

#24 ·
im quite sure that over here in Australia, any engine you fit must have the same emissions equipment as it came standard with, like the crank case ventilation thingamajig, catalytic converter, etc. Best go live in japan where you can run a RX-7 13B with a straight through 4" exhaust (no muffler, resonator, etc & no catalytic), and its also alright to have smoke pouring out too.....

#25 ·
Are you using the cat from your EG or from the donor car? If your engine was from a del sol or an Si, then you should be using the cat from those car. Also check if all the O2 sensors are working, next time, try warming up the car a bit to get the cats all fired up. Cold starts produce very bad emissions.

#26 ·
if you sell your car in cali you will have a problem doing so. it will be because when you sell the car whomever purchases it will have to get it smogged. so you will be back in the dilemma to try to get your car through smog so the new owner can take the title off of your hands.this is a law in california that whenever a vehicle gets sold that you will have to get it smogged unless it has passed smog within the last 10 days then you will not have to. so you will have a problem selling it too.
can you find someone that can hook you up and pass your car through smog? because it will be the same hassle that you are dealing with right now if you try to sell it so i think that you should keep it and try to find someone that will hook you up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.