Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... my friend recently blew his b18c block on boost. The head is still in great shape and I can get it off him for about 2 bills complete cause he is selling his car. I just installed a b18b/ gsr tranny in my car about a week ago. First track run was 14.7 @ 94 mph.

Would installing this head and keeping the redline at 8k be safe on my stock bottom end. Ive done the research and it all states that I need a bare minimum of ARP rod bolts to run it. Ive seen a couple of people's sigs on here running stock b18b bottom ends with b16a heads.

Im just looking to gain like 20 or so whp of this mod. My current setup runs strong. And I dont have the money to rebuild or build this one as of yet. So if its not going to be reliable at all... I wont do it... please chime in here guys with stock bottom ends.. I would really like some positive feedback if at all possible....

Drew

·
Registered
801 Posts
not an expert on ls/vtecs but i know you would need a new ecu, and a hardware kit for the vtec oil line. and you cant use your ls intake manifold on the gsr head. only a gsr intake manifold. You would have to get a vtec wiring harness or add the vtec wires yourself. And you can only rev to (insert max revs for b18b, 7200?) safely. The b18b block is not meant to be revved to 8000

·
Registered
514 Posts
Dude go for it

My buddy has the most stock ls/vtec he has a b16 head, with a stock ls bottom end, he had a gsr oil pump a must!! stock 97 gsr computer the car ran 14.0 daily driven, for over a year now no problems

·
Registered
514 Posts
Snoopy said:
dont expect to be revving to 8k and have it last very long with a stock bottom end.
the only reason he would have problems with the ls/vtec is if he didnt use a vtec oil pump, or if he used shity oil lines, a stock ls bottom can take 8k no problems but like any motor (b18c1) u take it to 8k everyday beat on the motor and it wont last very long, i've seen bone stock gsr motors drop valves , ive seen stock gsr motors throw rods,
another friend of mines had a stock ls/vtec revving to 8400rpms no problems as long as the oil pump is doing its job there should be no problems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.