Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a accord last october, it is a i4 coupe 2k2. and i can never feel vtec hit. the cover on my engine says vtec. when i drive my dads car i can feel vvt-i kick in and when i drive my moms i can feel i-force kick in but not on my accord. Some one help me. does anyone else have this problem?Is it normall of that year accord? or was i riped off by the honda dealership.

·
Registered
660 Posts
hondaccord said:
i bought a accord last october, it is a i4 coupe 2k2. and i can never feel vtec hit. the cover on my engine says vtec. when i drive my dads car i can feel vvt-i kick in and when i drive my moms i can feel i-force kick in but not on my accord. Some one help me. does anyone else have this problem?Is it normall of that year accord? or was i riped off by the honda dealership.
maybe you are just expecting "too much" from vtec or i-vtec for that matter. it is nothing close to what nitrous or boost does. vtec is there to improve gas mileage and supposedly increase torque at low rpm and speed at high rpm, but don't expect too much from it. yesteday i was riding in the older gen accord, i think, WITHOUT vtec and i realized how much smoooth and stronger my accord was than hers

btw. i have 2000 accord with vtec and i can feel a slight pull when i reach around 4100~4300 rpm :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I've heard...so I don't know this to be true...that the VTEC engagement on a B series engine is not only audibly noticeable but you can feel it stongly. Compare that to the H series and probably the F series too and its very hard to tell when VTEC kicks in.

I rode in my buddies manual 95 Accord EX and the only reason I heard VTEC was cause he had an intake on. I didn't feel anything.

·
Registered
515 Posts
like the previous posts said don't expect too much , the vtec on accords isn't that noticible you can hear it and if you know what to look for you can feel it but its nothing compared to the vtec on a b18 or a h22

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
vtec in accords is nothing. Ride in a GSR or lude with H22 in it. BTW: I know people say that you cant feel ivtec as much, but I've riden and driven a freinds RSX, and believe me, at about 6k it pulls hard, and you can really feel it.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
i have an h22 in my lude and it hauls some nuts. vtecs in cars like accords and civics are designed for fuel efficiency, so you don't really feel the vtec kick in. you sure's the hell do with a B18 or and H22 though!

·
Registered
172 Posts
U can't feel the VTEC on single cams because the VTEC is only on the intake side. The twin cams have the VTEC effect on both exhaust and intake. on the single cams u may hear it but its not gonna give u a kick when it switches over untill u get an aftermarket cam. It will just keep the engine pulling instead of dieing off in the top end.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
you can feel it if you really look for it, my friend has a stock 2001 civic too, and yea, the punch is way way way different

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
MrMike said:
U can't feel the VTEC on single cams because the VTEC is only on the intake side. The twin cams have the VTEC effect on both exhaust and intake. on the single cams u may hear it but its not gonna give u a kick when it switches over untill u get an aftermarket cam. It will just keep the engine pulling instead of dieing off in the top end.
Your full of shit! My SOHC VTEC 1.6 looses traction in first when it hits. I guess you can't feel it. That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard you can feel it quite a bit. Most people though are completely numb to what is happening around them anyways though. Can't feel SOHC VTEC.....HA!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
skidtron89 said:
Your full of shit! My SOHC VTEC 1.6 looses traction in first when it hits. I guess you can't feel it. That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard you can feel it quite a bit. Most people though are completely numb to what is happening around them anyways though. Can't feel SOHC VTEC.....HA!
looses traction?!! HAHA!!:p

·
Registered
211 Posts
i can feel my v tec on 3rd gear and 3500 + rpm
it really gives out the tourqe ,
when it shift to 4th gear shit, it just loose out..
you wanna stick to 3rd gear until it reach 7000 rpm and shift manualy to the 4th one for max result
since i got the intake.. yeah it really roarr out

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
95accord22 said:

yea i know, i was thinkin that same thing... i'm sorry to break it to you man, but civics are pretty damn wussy compared to anything with a dohc vtec

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
95accord22 said:
It actually does sometimes on not perfect asphalt but mostly due to my ES bushings and motor mounts I'm sure. My suspension is very stiff. Sorry I don't know the spring rates but it reacts very quickly. There isn't much softness to soak up bumps and crap. And we are talking about when the car is being launched mostly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
haha, yall are funny..... vtec on the f22... well at least the 5th gen f22 comes in at 2200 rpms. your not gona feel shit. the f22 vtec was made to get good mileage, not more power. the only reason the engine is rated at 15hp more is cause the intake and exhaust are better....

·
Registered
206 Posts
VTEC SUCKS you cant feel vtec, its something honda came out with to improve driving, its not to give EXTRA 10HP FOR MAD YO Rice racin' get real...... :) Don't mean to be to harsh guys...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts