Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand this, and it really pisses me off. All of us Accord V6'ers like to mod our cars for speed, style, or both. Well we look to these forums for new ideas, news, and answers to all our questions. Sometimes we post stuff about racing. Then some ignorant person (and surprisingly many are fellow Honda owners) will say something like,"Why the hell do you race your car, it wasn't meant for drag?" or "Why the hell are you racing an automatic?"

Well there is no answer to the first question, but I also would like to relay this question to them,"Why do you race your car?". Civics are economy cars that get good milage. Integras and 'ludes aren't meant for drag either. Honda's heritage is on the track and not the strip, therefore they build there cars that way. This also explains the S2000 and NSX. For the price tag of the NSX, you get a car that is slow. Corvettes and other domestics can beat many NSX's, but you pit them against the NSX on a track and the said domestic is beat.

The answer to the second question is really simple, the top racers (including the domestics) use automatics! To the idiots that ask this question I would like to ask,"Why not an automatic?" Especially since the majority of people who ask can't drive. There are also people who knock us and say that their car is "better" since they have a manual and aren't at the legal age to drive. I don't care what car you own, if you aren't at the legal age of driving, your DO NOT know how to drive your car. Especially since your parent's have to work to make sure they can afford that shiny new car of yours. I've been driving my car since May '00 and I don't know how to drive my car. Driving is not just knowing how to step on the gas and knowing where the brake pedal is. And to these same people that speak so highly of their manual transmission,"Do you really think you could shift as good and as consistant as a performance automatic transmission?

· Registered
2 Posts
Auto tranny's are heavier.
Auto tranny's are less efficient and give you less power at the wheels.
Auto tranny's give you less control.
Auto tranny's are bad on cars with little low-end torque (like imports)

The one thing an auto gives you is consistency.

After you reach a certain power level, the advantages of a manual tranny are minimized because the driver simply cannot control all of the power well enough no matter how skilled. At this point an auto tranny will become "faster". But not because it's more efficient because it isn't. And not because it's lighter because it isn't. It's faster because of the consistency and it allows the driver to get good clean launches everytime and then they don't have to worry about bogging or wheelspinning.

However, the Accord V6 is nowhere even close to those power levels where an auto tranny would be faster than a manual. Probably not even a built one.

I don't have anything against someone racing a car with an auto tranny, but an auto tranny in this particular car at these particular power levels puts you at a disadvantage to start with so you have further to go. If Honda built the Accord V6 with a manual tranny I can guarantee you that it would be significantly faster than even a modded auto. I've even done some simulation work that illustrates this, but unfortunately I was just tinkering and did not save the results.

· Registered
54 Posts
Hey, Pinoy, I feel your pain. Feel better after the rant? :D

Hey VQTEC...you make it sound like we had a choice. If you get a V6 Accord, you get a slushbox. Period. Also, the J30 V6 is not a torque wimp like the much loved (certainly by me, at least) B- series I-4s. They work quite nicely in daily driving with the automatic. I would love to own an 03 3.2CL TypeS with a six speed, but until they get used and come down in price, I will have to content myself with blowing lightly modified D series and stock B series civics into the weeds. :cool:

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TOF said:
Hey, Pinoy, I feel your pain. Feel better after the rant? :D

Hey VQTEC...you make it sound like we had a choice. If you get a V6 Accord, you get a slushbox. Period. Also, the J30 V6 is not a torque wimp like the much loved (certainly by me, at least) B- series I-4s. They work quite nicely in daily driving with the automatic. I would love to own an 03 3.2CL TypeS with a six speed, but until they get used and come down in price, I will have to content myself with blowing lightly modified D series and stock B series civics into the weeds. :cool:
Not really since people will always come into our forum and knock us...even I4 accords. I remember once on the old SHO there was this one guy that would always knock us not matter what the thread was about. Now that guy seems to have become many guys that don't knock as often.

· Registered
355 Posts
Pinoy Dragon said:
Not really since people will always come into our forum and knock us...even I4 accords. I remember once on the old SHO there was this one guy that would always knock us not matter what the thread was about. Now that guy seems to have become many guys that don't knock as often.
Who cares? Just ignore them because they're ignorant or if they're local challenge them and beat them :)

· Registered
355 Posts
Pinoy Dragon said:
It deminishes the hope of new Accord V6'ers, that's why I'm concerned.
You can't honestly tell me that everybody that comes to Accord V6 forums is all about speed. There are plenty of other cars out there in this same class and price range that are much faster.

I think most people that buy Accord V6's just want a good all-around car that looks good, has decent power, and is reliable. The Accord is a car that does everything well but nothing perfect, but that fact is the beauty of the whole car. You can make it into whatever you want.

But if somebody really is all about speed and they buy an Accord V6 then they seriously need to get their head checked.

I think there are a lot of people here that are all about speed that are "stuck" in an Accord V6, though. As in their parent's bought it for them or it's a hand-me-down car.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that, but there may be some misinformed enthusiasts that thought that since the Accord V6 was V6 it was fast and had lots of potential. I believe it does, it just needs a little help from the aftermarket. Where's ARTCARR when you need them?

· Registered
54 Posts
SteVTEC said:
You can't honestly tell me that everybody that comes to Accord V6 forums is all about speed. There are plenty of other cars out there in this same class and price range that are much faster.
You mean like a 2k Maxima five speed? Or perhaps you refer to the 2k3 maxima?

Yeah...its true. But then, too...somebody is ALWAYS faster. It's still fun to get on the fat cam and feel the av6 pull. Plus you don't have to overhaul the suspension to tune out a boatload of understeer. I about put a Maxima in the ditch going around a 90 degree turn during a test drive. Damn thing just didn't want to rotate. (It was an SE to be fair). It really wasn't that close, but it scared the shit out of the salesman. One of my better days, that...:D

· Registered
355 Posts
TOF said:
You mean like a 2k Maxima five speed? Or perhaps you refer to the 2k3 maxima?
or a 97-01 Camry V6 5spd (would run high-14's with just an intake)
or a Mazda 626 V6 5spd (very slightly faster stock)
or a Passat V6 5spd (faster, but only if it doesn't break down :p)

:D

TOF said:
I about put a Maxima in the ditch going around a 90 degree turn during a test drive. Damn thing just didn't want to rotate. (It was an SE to be fair). It really wasn't that close, but it scared the shit out of the salesman. One of my better days, that...:D
:eek2: :laff:

· Registered
33 Posts
Pinoy Dragon said:
I know that, but there may be some misinformed enthusiasts that thought that since the Accord V6 was V6 it was fast and had lots of potential. I believe it does, it just needs a little help from the aftermarket. Where's ARTCARR when you need them?
Thanks Pinoy! I feel with you man! Here we are trying to make our rides faster and then some people will come in and question why we do that. This is an Accord V6 entusiast site and not a "Bash the V6 Accord" site. Be like me man, I do what I want with my car and I just ignore the negative feedbacks.

We do have a lot of good V6ers here that have faith so I'm happy about that. :D

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
30V6200HP said:

Thanks Pinoy! I feel with you man! Here we are trying to make our rides faster and then some people will come in and question why we do that. This is an Accord V6 entusiast site and not a "Bash the V6 Accord" site. Be like me man, I do what I want with my car and I just ignore the negative feedbacks.

We do have a lot of good V6ers here that have faith so I'm happy about that. :D
I know, like I told Steve, I'm just concerned about the new enthusiasts.

· Registered
355 Posts
TOF said:
Yeah...its true. But then, too...somebody is ALWAYS faster. It's still fun to get on the fat cam and feel the av6 pull.
True true... I guess you just need to figure out if what you have is enough for you and only you.

Even modded, I had trouble closing the door on and "defending my ground" against all of the psychotic 2-ton 200-300 HP SUV drivers in my area, especially if they got a good run on me. And 99% of the problem was crappy gearing on the auto. Right around 60-70 you're too fast to hit 2nd and you ain't going nowhere in 3rd. I darn near got run off the road because of this on multiple occasions.

Maxima 5spd @ 60. Select 3rd gear and stomp on it and you are GONE baby! :D VQTEC should know what I'm talking about :)

· Registered
54 Posts
SteVTEC said:
or a 97-01 Camry V6 5spd (would run high-14's with just an intake)
or a Mazda 626 V6 5spd (very slightly faster stock)
or a Passat V6 5spd (faster, but only if it doesn't break down )

There seems to be a pattern there... ;)

There are exactly four things I really miss about my old civic Si...
The five speed
The recaro Trends
The five speed
The jr supercharger
The five speed. (yeah...I know)

· Registered
54 Posts
I would take either one. I'm sure Comptech will deliver a very high quality kit and will probably do it before June.

JR will probably do a nice kit too. It will likely be less expensive than the Comptech, but we may not see it for awhile.

Unfortunately, my header just about broke me so I don't see dropping over four large on an upgrade any time soon.

· Registered
563 Posts
sorry dude, our cars are slow..i've come to realize that.....

as for me, bagging on other cars..i'm alot more mature than to bag on other cars.... i honestly dont care how fast my car is anymore....
its better than driving a POS xxxxxx

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.