SLP Whisper Lid
SLP "Trick" MAF sensor
K&N Drop In Filter
Reprogrammed ECM
Pulleys
4.10 gears
AJAX springs /w Koni Reds
Dumped Exhaust

I find him on the road, and we turn onto the same street from an intersection. As he opens up into the next lane, I roll up to the level of his back bumper, and clicked to 8psi. I honk it 3 times and we are off from a 35mph roll in my 2nd gear. By the end of 3rd gear, he is on my back bumper and can't make any ground on me. We cut it, and pull over to talk. First thing that he yells, "Thats freaking fast!!!" I tell him, "Man, thats my first time ever racing an LS1." He grins and adds, "Whats done to it?" So we popped hoods and talked more about our mods etc. Another friendly domestic encounter..isn't life grand! :)

THE END :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nathan123 said:
I'd really like to see a timeslip from your car.
I've never ran my car, but I would like to see as well. But not until I get some decent tires atleast...Maybe we'll get to find out this summer :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
No shit, bolt ons and gears in an auto. That's impressive, domestic guys aren't assholes especially if you beat them. I would definately love to see a timeslip.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TexasFormula said:
No shit, bolt ons and gears in an auto. That's impressive, domestic guys aren't assholes especially if you beat them. I would definately love to see a timeslip.
Sweet! Looking TA in your signature. It says your car is a 98..didn't they start the LS1 in 98? And if so, your car looks like an LT1 to me. I am only curious, because I don't want to get my years mixed up.

Khoi

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IntegerDr3vr said:
Trans Ams were WS6, only camaros were LS1's
Sorry your wrong.

The LS1 came in the 98-01 Z28s/SS and the 99-01 TA. The WS6 just denotes that it is slightly upgraded from the factory. I think mainly just suspension and wheels I believe.

For example, on the new Honda Civic Si, there is the HPC performance package.

And to be more technical, the 98-99 LS1s made a little less power than the 00-01 LS1. GM quoted the same hp for the LS1 from 98-01, but the 00-01 models were underated. GM pretty much touched up the LS1 and decided to tell everyone that it was making the same power as the previous LS1s..

Khoi

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
sohc driver said:
Sorry your wrong.

The LS1 came in the 98-01 Z28s/SS and the 99-01 TA. The WS6 just denotes that it is slightly upgraded from the factory. I think mainly just suspension and wheels I believe.

For example, on the new Honda Civic Si, there is the HPC performance package.

And to be more technical, the 98-99 LS1s made a little less power than the 00-01 LS1. GM quoted the same hp for the LS1 from 98-01, but the 00-01 models were underated. GM pretty much touched up the LS1 and decided to tell everyone that it was making the same power as the previous LS1s..

Khoi
Much better than the other guy.... but you're a little bit wrong, too.
Very good, though, for an import owner. ;)
As far as F-bodies go, LS1's come in ALL '98-'02 V8 Firebirds (Trans Am, Formula, and the WS6 variant of either) and Camaros (Z28, B4C, SS).
The '98-'00 LS1 was rated at 305 hp (but made more like 335-340). The '01-'02 LS1 was rated at 310 (but made more like 345 hp and a bit more torque, due to a smaller cam and better flowing intake manifold). The WS6 and SS models claimed anywhere from 15 to 35 hp increase over the "lesser" models (due to intake/exhaust improvements), but they really only made ~5 more in base form (maybe 10 hp in the WS6 with it's somewhat working ram-air).
The SS had some options (in 335/345 hp flavors) that had even better exhaust and intake that actually made some decent power increases, but they cost more than the (same) aftermarket modifications.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
sohc driver said:
Sweet! Looking TA in your signature. It says your car is a 98..didn't they start the LS1 in 98? And if so, your car looks like an LT1 to me. I am only curious, because I don't want to get my years mixed up.

Khoi
Oh, one more thing. :D
His car isn't a TA. He has the rarest of the standard F-bodies... the WS6 Formula. It's also probably my favorite.
It has the same hood (ram-air) and 17" wheels as the WS6 TA, but has a different front end (no huge fogs, etc.) and rear spoiler (same as '93+ Formula and base Firebird). VERY uncommon car.

The rear is probably what made you think it was an LT1, since it's been pretty much the same since LT1 days (except for the honeycombs).

LT1

LS1

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nathan123 said:
The rear is probably what made you think it was an LT1, since it's been pretty much the same since LT1 days (except for the honeycombs).
Yeah..the rear gave it away, I was expecting honeycombs for the LS1.

BTW, Thanks for educating me Nathan! If I could afford a domestic to modify, it would definitely be the LS1, or well, maybe a 5.0 fox body :p .

Khoi

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks nathan...

Yeah I do have one of the rarest cars... I have 1 of 32 Silver WS6 Formula's ever made in '98 and I think 1 of 6 with an M6.

I'm glad you guys like it... I've poured my life into it, and I'm glad it's a formula and not a TA... I don't have all that extra weight to haul around :rolleyes

Also the LS1 was introduced in '97 in the Vette's a year later it was introduced to the Fbody's. The LS6 was introduced for the first time in the Z06 in '99 or '00 I can't remember. Soon after the '01-'02 Fbody's were equiped with the LS6 intake manifold and a smaller cam. VER VERY few Fbody's have been known to have LS6 casting heads do to the problems of production in '00

Also some of the Fbody's in '98 were given the vette cam.. again do to prodction problems in '98

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
TexasFormula said:
Thanks nathan...

Yeah I do have one of the rarest cars... I have 1 of 32 Silver WS6 Formula's ever made in '98 and I think 1 of 6 with an M6.

I'm glad you guys like it... I've poured my life into it, and I'm glad it's a formula and not a TA... I don't have all that extra weight to haul around :rolleyes

Also the LS1 was introduced in '97 in the Vette's a year later it was introduced to the Fbody's. The LS6 was introduced for the first time in the Z06 in '99 or '00 I can't remember. Soon after the '01-'02 Fbody's were equiped with the LS6 intake manifold and a smaller cam. VER VERY few Fbody's have been known to have LS6 casting heads do to the problems of production in '00

Also some of the Fbody's in '98 were given the vette cam.. again do to prodction problems in '98
Close. :D
The LS6 came out in the 2001 Z06. ALL LS1-LS6 engines from '01 on up had the LS6 intake manifold. ZERO F-bodies came with LS6 head castings. However, a small percentage (<15% total) of F-bodies came with the LS6 block, which was made by a different manufacturer and had improved bay to bay breathing. Nobody expects this to make much, if any, more power than the standard LS1 block. Well, maybe 2-3 hp. Not the same as the 25+ hp the LS6 heads would give you.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Don't mean to change the topic but I'm curious about something. here goes:

To WS6 and SS owners:

How much stiffer is the suspension on a SS/WS6 vs Z28 etc.?

How much louder is the exhaust versus Z28 etc?

and finally do the brakes feel much different?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
danmakG60 said:
Don't mean to change the topic but I'm curious about something. here goes:

To WS6 and SS owners:

How much stiffer is the suspension on a SS/WS6 vs Z28 etc.?

How much louder is the exhaust versus Z28 etc?

and finally do the brakes feel much different?
The standard SS/WS6 suspensions are a little bit stiffer than stock. The anti-roll is the biggest thing you feel, IMO, and it is considerably beefier. Overall, though, not that big of a change. A good portion of the additional grip is due to riding on P275/40ZR17's instead of P245/50ZR16's. That being said, there are multiple suspension options you can add to the SS (1LE, Bilstein/Eibach). 1LE is a VERY big step up from stock, but can be a little harsh in day to day driving on max settings (you can always dial the shocks down a bit, though). The Bilstien/Eibach suspension is a little bit softer but only loses about .01 g on the skidpad to the 1LE... and it is a bit worse in transitions.

The standard SS/WS6 exhaust is barely louder than the normal Z28/TA exhaust, but does have a boomier sound (resonation) from 1200-2200 RPM... so it's a little "tougher" sounding when you're just cruising. At WOT it sounds just the same as stock, but a few db louder. But, there is also an additional exhaust available for the SS (called a dual-dual because of the 4 tips). It is a good bit louder at WOT, but is actually quieter on the inside when cruising. It also gives a decent increase in power, unlike the standard SS/WS6 exhaust.

Brakes? Same as Z28/TA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.