Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all! I'm newbe here. I bought this 93 del sol si D16Z6 engine for $2100 last week. is it a good deal?

from those pics, can u tell me what mods are installed on it? dose it has a Cold air intake? can what do you guys advise me to mod on it? im planing to install an exhaust system, lowering springs, and xenon lights is that a good idea?

thanx for any reply/suggestion :w00tz

· Registered
217 Posts
I wouldn't OD on mods with that many miles on it...and that looks like a air filter, pretty painted parts and some wires. Looks REALLY clean though inside and the body looks pretty immaculate, so $2100 doesn't seem like a bad deal at all! I'd say drive it how it is and put some coilovers, cambers, etc. on it and some 15" wheels and have fun. If you're looking for more power then put a B18 in there, boost it and call it a day. Good luck with the car and welcome to the forum! :D

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't OD on mods with that many miles on it...and that looks like a air filter, pretty painted parts and some wires. Looks REALLY clean though inside and the body looks pretty immaculate, so $2100 doesn't seem like a bad deal at all! I'd say drive it how it is and put some coilovers, cambers, etc. on it and some 15" wheels and have fun. If you're looking for more power then put a B18 in there, boost it and call it a day. Good luck with the car and welcome to the forum! :D
thanx for the advice, actually its my first ride and im not really good about cars yet, but someday i'll be! :D.

· Registered
478 Posts
congrats on the car. Great deal if prices around you are anything like what they are around here. No you don't have a Cold air intake. You have an aftermarket filter on the end of the original intake tube. Just replace it with a cheap ebay short ram intake (the cheap ones are sometimes marketed as cold air intakes but arn't ask around if you want to know the difference) maybe slap a K&N filter on since they are the standard. From the look of your valve cover the Z6 claim is in question, look at the flat part of the engine block to the left of the engine block and the engine code should be stamped in. You should get some battery tie downs, and consider a new battery (that style looks old to me most of the ones sold around here are maintenance free.) You should do a complete flush of the brake fluid system and change out the engine oil and mtf (use Honda spec mtf, its different. but for the engine any normal oil near the right weight will work 5w-30 is fine). Coolant flush isn't a bad idea but isn't really a rush and think about doing a timing belt/ water pump job in the near future if you don't have records of when it was last done. From the looks of the engine bay you are in a high dust environment so all maintenance is more critical. rotor, cap, plugs and wires should all be replaced periodically. The black plastic air duct by the coolant resevoir can go since you are using a cone filter as well.

PS I almost forgot to recommend a fuel filter

· Registered
10,346 Posts
fuck K&N filters, they get the extra airflow form reducing how much they filter from the air. a cheap ebay filter actually works very well.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
congrats on the car. Great deal if prices around you are anything like what they are around here. No you don't have a Cold air intake. You have an aftermarket filter on the end of the original intake tube. Just replace it with a cheap ebay short ram intake (the cheap ones are sometimes marketed as cold air intakes but arn't ask around if you want to know the difference) maybe slap a K&N filter on since they are the standard. From the look of your valve cover the Z6 claim is in question, look at the flat part of the engine block to the left of the engine block and the engine code should be stamped in. You should get some battery tie downs, and consider a new battery (that style looks old to me most of the ones sold around here are maintenance free.) You should do a complete flush of the brake fluid system and change out the engine oil and mtf (use Honda spec mtf, its different. but for the engine any normal oil near the right weight will work 5w-30 is fine). Coolant flush isn't a bad idea but isn't really a rush and think about doing a timing belt/ water pump job in the near future if you don't have records of when it was last done. From the looks of the engine bay you are in a high dust environment so all maintenance is more critical. rotor, cap, plugs and wires should all be replaced periodically. The black plastic air duct by the coolant resevoir can go since you are using a cone filter as well.

PS I almost forgot to recommend a fuel filter
first of all, thanx for the nice writeup! yah, i saw the left part of the engine block its written D16Z6, im sure from that.
y r u doubt about it? does my engine doesn't looks like a D16Z6?
yah, im planning to change most of the oils on the car, thanx for the reminder!

· Registered
12,453 Posts
fluids, and regular maintenance and she'll run forever. Its a D series, they are good reliable motors, not fast without boost, but def. stout as hell

· Registered
10,346 Posts
BTW, dont use motor oil in the tranny. say good bye to your synchros. use Honda fluid. more expensive, but makes your tranny much smoother and more reliable. motor oil has detergents and additives that can cause corrosion and deteriorate seals and synchros at a fairly fast rate.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.