Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo, finally picked up my gen4 jdm vtec prelude, im very impressed and everything is great but it seems in first gear vtec is engaging at just over 6000rpm? then i get a real small power band before the shift into second - then in seocnd gear vtec comes in at 5000 rpm and everything from then on is great, is this normal guys? maybe there is something wrong with my car maybe im just a nuub?,

Thanks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
yeah thats normal. but with the prelude, i hope ur not railing 1st gear upto like 8500, thats just pointless. your never going to actually "hear" vtec in 1st like u will in 2nd through 5th. usually i hit 2nd gear tec at around 50-60mph, 3rd at around 80, 4th at around 90 and 5th at around 115. the vtec engagement point is EXACTLY 5300rpm. if you want, get yourself a VAFC and you can adjust the vtec engagement point, however, you might want to get the engine tuned up and make sure everythings mint before dong so. if you want one, get an Apex'i. have fun. good luck.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Vtec needs oil pressure to engage. Perhaps you're not getting enough pressure until then. Check your oil level. But then I suppose that it would happen in all the gears and not just first. Probably just your imgination.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
maybe it hits at the right time its just that your rpms are going up so fast it looks like 6k...

ganjgremlin: if you cant hear/feel/smell vtec in first gear then somethings wrong with your car. :)

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
crdcz03 said:
maybe it hits at the right time its just that your rpms are going up so fast it looks like 6k...

ganjgremlin: if you cant hear/feel/smell vtec in first gear then somethings wrong with your car. :)
:stupid

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesnt feel right to me there is a hesitation when the cams swap over in first gear only, then im right at the limiter, earlier on i spotted a small puff of smoke in first gear when i was testing vtec but it only happened once, ive a new air filter coming and im going to try some new plugs and leads, Maybe its worth mentioning im running on 95 octane fuel [email protected] The car is fantastic im only going to buy honda's from now on.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
In 1st gear you need to be at full throttle for it to engage right at 5. If your light pedaling it , it will engage just a bit later. Dont really know why but it just does that.

Should do that for almost every gear. Im thinking once you hit second then your giving WOT. In which it will engage right at 5. Sometimes a bit later. The stock tach really isnt accurate so dont worry about it too much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aahhh, well im light footing it up to about 3k then giving it wot. Will test full throttle from lower down tomorrow after work,

thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Wot makes no difference, vtec cuts in at about 6300 in first gear - either my tach is out or theres something wrong. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have watched mikes tach vid and done some more testing, my cars power band is nothing like the 1st gear in that video :( vtec is coming in at 6500rpm (wot) in first gear with a big hesitation - the speed drops off a tiny bit on the cam swap over then it smacks in hard! revs for 1000 rpm before I have to change gear, the weird thing is every other gear the transition is smooth and at about 5200rpm, Luckily theres alot of resources on this forum I can search through and try to fix my car.

1994 jdm prelude vtec/2ws/no tc/no abs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im using the 1994 standard rpm tach my car is totally stock, and im shifting at 7500 in first, if i hold it any longer than 7500 i feel the power drop off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Neldogg do you know if the tach could be out in one gear only?, i reset the ecu and now it revs to 8000 in first,

much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
When my oil pressure gets low and its about time for a change my vtec kicks in late if at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts