Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the D16Y7, why? because god hates me, duh. but until i have the money to get my gsr motor and tranny swap, i want a wee bit more power, even if its only 10hp. SO! i need help locating a cold air or short ram that will fit on the d16y7 intake manifold. i dont have the money to get the y8 manifold. I also need an exhaust that will fit the y7. Im working on a tight budget here (i.e. my tax return 1300.00), if anyone has one, or knows of one. please let me know.

OOOOR

if you know somewhere where i can get a full b16 swap, axels and all, plus install for less than 1300, that would work too (i know its a pipe dream, but im trying)

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
isn't the y7 the e-vtec model w/ economy tranny, cams, etc. :confused
would seem kinda silly to turbo it if that's the case
why? it wouldn't lose economy if tuned right. only under w.o.t. and longer gears aren't necessarily bad for boost

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
so you're sayng peice together an ebay kit? or something along those lines?
no!....do not use turbos from xs power(ssautochrome) ebay etc. fuck no. i'll buy a real turbo and a decent manifold. that's all you really need. everything else is standard like larger injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, etc.

· Registered
4,294 Posts
go to a junkyard and see if you can't find a junked DSM or find someone parting one out on a local forum...there's your turbo. manifold is something you're not going to want to buy off eGay. Now there are some things you could find new on there from reputable manufacturers at decent prices (I imagine.)

· Registered
782 Posts
I absolutely agree about turbo-ing your current motor. Everybody does the B-Swap>>>Well not everybody but a ton of people do. It would be wild to have someone piece together a turbo on your motor. You would be a pioneer! And imagine the look on those ricer faces when your D16Y7 hands out some spankings!

You should be able to get a reasonable turbo built for $1300. It wouldn't be the highest end build but by the measurement of horsepower per dollar spent you would be way up there.

· Registered
782 Posts
Even if it is all original you could easily update the most important parts like the timing belt, water pump, alternator belt, power steering belt, a/c belt, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap/rotor, camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, head gasket, valve cover gasket set, radiator hoses/engine hoses, head studs, and the like....that would be pretty cheap to do. A few hundred dollars worth of parts and then put the turbo on.

It is a lot of labor but in the end you would have essentially a new motor...aside from pistons and rods. That would have to be less expensive than a full blown engine/transmission swap.

It is your money after all...so, how you spend it has to make you happy. Maybe you can find an old motor and tranny for $1300. It is not completely unheard of. Not terribly likely though. With your $1300 you could likely get the engine you have mostly rebuilt and turbocharged. I mean you wouldn't have new pistons or a valve job but the important external parts could be made new.

Just my .02

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.