Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what a day.
i've been having a lot of trouble with my zc lately. first the alternator, then sucking up water and it not starting. then weird belt noises.
then tonite.

i just got a new Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust put on. i traded my Thermal for it. man it sounds nice. then i had a date. that went well. we drove around all night.
as i dropped off my date, i went to go fill up my tank. i go around the turn onto the Highway, i nail 2nd, redline 3rd... BOOOOOOMMMMMMMM and the car stalled. so i drift towards the shoulder.

i was like SHIT! i thought maybe my alternator belt popped off or something. i open the hood. SMOKE flies out. oil is everywhere. SHIT. so i didnt know waht happened and i didnt have a flashlight. so i called my friend eric to pick me up. while waiting a very nice guy stopped to see if i needed anything. he hooked me up with a flashlight. im lookin around, i see a HUGE 3 inch hole in my block just below my header. then i look at the back of the engine, another huge hole right near the alternator. SHIT. so i told that dude to go cuz my friend was on his way. my buddy gets there and i called my boy Tony cuz he has a towtruck and he said he was on his way. so he towed my rex for me for free. good friend there..

im fucked. i need to get to work and that was my only transportation. im gunna save up $2000 hopefully have it by April. and im going to put in a B16a1. FUCK ZCs. they're shit. i've had nothing but problems with it. so now i'm gunna get a good motor. and im selling parts of the ZC, my Chikara header, my Si tranny, my chipped ECU and other stuffd. lemmel know. help a fellow rex owner out

· Registered
112 Posts
darn you had a bad night that sucks.
I swapped in a zc couple weeks ago, I haven't gotton it started yet. This story makes me worried. Did you rebuild the zc at all before swaping it in ?
I might need something on your zc if anything is broken on my motor.
*colin

· Registered
175 Posts
Well crxcrxcrx, I must say, sounds like you did have a rough night. I'm just dropping a zc in my crx now too, so hopefully this is just a streak of badluck, and hopefully it will end here for you :). I'm rebuilding my engine though, so that should help. I've had alot of bad luck just gettting the engine and fixing it up, so far its been 5 months and I've had no car the whole time! Its a pain in the ass and I hope everything is smooth once the install is done.

Anyway, just wanted to drop a line since I noticed that you are close by to me in MD and I will need a new ecu for the zc. Plus since the hybrid scene is new to me I will undoubtably have many questions and you may know what the best local shops and resouces are. peace

· Registered
70 Posts
i assume that when you dd the swap you replaced all of the normal "WEAR" items, belts and gaskets and such, right??? i haven't gotten a chance to run the hell outta my zc yet, but i hope that you just had a bad streak of shit(no offense:rolleyes: )

· Registered
321 Posts
Man, I thought I was gonna get on this thread and be like, " Shitty... You don't even know, my freind was coming over in his hatch, and he has another one of my freinds mint CRX 89 Si wheels on it. Well, anyways, I get a call from a police station because that was the closest place to where he broke down, a front wheel flew off of his car at 50 mph. After 20 mins. of looking in the squad car with the search light, the wheel couldn't be found. So I get there, put a new wheel on it, and we go looking for the mysterious lost wheel. Again, after about 20 mins. my freind spots the elusive wheel, turns out we were looking in the wrong place the whole time, it wasn't on the ground, but 8 ' up in a tree, complete with center cap, and lug nuts all still inside!!!!!", but I guess you got me beat. That sucks man!!! I don't beleive after all that trouble, it just blows up on you like that. I hate to be like a vulture, preying on your freshly wounded car, but how much for the header?

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-$100 for the Chikara 4-2-1 Tork Step 2 piece header
-$150 for my Mugen spec chipped ECU. it has a switch on it also that turns the chip on or off. its really good for emissions. just switch it off when you're about to go through emissions.

and yes when i put the zc in, i put new water pump, new belts etc. and i just got an oil change the other day too.

i had noticed when i sucked up water a couple days ago, that there was oil in the spark plug hole furthest to the right, and thats exactly where the two holes are. i guess the rod was gettin tired and beat the shit out of my engine

· Registered
351 Posts
Let's remember they are used and have unknown mileage on them. I know they say "only 40,000 miles" which is 99% of the time bullsh*#. Unless it comes over here with the full front clip so you can see the mileage on the odometer, no one knows.

I blew mine up in months and had it rebuilt with forged parts.

Used is Used. And you never know how a used engine was taken care of.

Some have better luck than others, just the luck of the draw

· Registered
351 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I love it. It was rev happy and peppy as hell. She was a sweet engine. Lets remember, I drive ALL my cars like I stole it. I abuse them. When they throw a rod, crack a piston, blow a head gasket...I say "well, I beat the crap out of it so...."

Now I use a datalogger to keep an eye on what's going on inside and keep from Blowing sh&* up

· Registered
2,120 Posts
dont you just hate when something goes wrong with your car......it stresses the s h i t out of you

· Registered
351 Posts
PSIKOTICsi said:
dont you just hate when something goes wrong with your car......it stresses the s h i t out of you
No, not really, I just dump more money into it. Luckily (for me I know it aint for everyone) I don't have kids and had the "operation" so that I won't. Therefore I have cash to spend. Dumping $10,000 into a car in one month is common and doesn't put a dent in my lifestyle...

I know, kids are great blah blah blah....But they aint for me!

· Registered
2,120 Posts
yesterday on my way to school my car died and i was like WTF. i was in the parking garage getting ready to park. i revved it in 1st to let the blow off valve go off....jes to show off because a lot of racers go to my school(not too many turbo hondas though). rite when the blow off went off my engine just died. so then i just coasted down to a parking space. i tried starting up the engine but it wasnt no good. so i checked everything(it sucks when theres no light in the garage. so for every break i had at school i went to check up on my car. i noticed i was low on oil so i bought some oil. then later rite nefore it was time to go home i noticed one of the wires from my msd blaster coil came off.....so i lightly connected it back and that was a problem. so i just called a friend to bring me a wire crimper/stripper and a connector and it was all good. that was a hectic day for me...that morning i got 3 hrs sleep because my friend was in the hospital, i had a quiz, my car dies at school...damn what a day that was.:rolleyes:

· Banned
1,529 Posts
damn man that kinda sucks! seams like you're having as much trouble as me.. I blew two engines in 2 weeks! LOL I hate cars. but lucky me I have my engine ready for the swap so there is that little bit of light shining through the cracks in this dusty, damn cave of having engines blow up and getting stranded on the side of the road. At least it waited until after the date man!

· Registered
184 Posts
The ZC is a great engine but old and used. Then people drop it in expect it to be like new and beat on it. Most of them can take it but for only so long. Mine 20,000 not bad. But redlining and old engine especialy if you raised the redline with a chipped ecu your looking for trouble unless you rebuild. I highly suggest putting new rod bearing into a ZC before driveing it. You don't know how up the last owner was on oil changes and if they were not good the bearing took more abuse. I always changed the oil Moble 1 every month almost. but I beat the shit out of what I drive. So my bearings when and took the crank with them. Doing and over haul on the ZC before putting it in is a good idea and make it very reliable. Think would you want to beat on a old D16 a6 you just got out of a junker no it would die on you. Honda engines are great and they handle more abuse then most but they have there limits.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.