Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hows it going guys,
it's been a while since i last posted, but a lot of things have happened lately... well i wrecked my prelude and i'm still trying to get over it. maybe you guys can help me out.
ok, i love preludes, i mean, they aren't the fastest cars, but they're quick, the look good, ride nice, are reliable and yea, i'm in love with them. ok a while back i was in another accident with my first prelude if some of you remember... but that wasn't my fault, i just had bad luck. so after dealing with the other guy's insurance, i worked things out and got another prelude and ended up parting out my old one. anyway, after more bad luck, i some how managed to tip my new one over doing no more than 35 miles an hour... yea it sucked, and i'm not a bad driver (some may beg to differ) but right before i wrecked it i had just installed a new set of st sway bars and when i got it in a slide(don't ask me how) i could pull it out... i ended up in a ditch, which because i went in in an awkward way, i ended up side down. now i have another wrecked prelude and it's pretty messed up. i already talked to jeremy and he seems to think that it's not worth fixing. after the wreck i messed up a number of things. like i don't think the frame is bent, but i have damage on both door panels, the driver side fender, the rear driver side quarter panel, the mirrors, the roof, the sunroof, a shattered windshield and rear quarter panel window, the hood, the bottom radiator support bracket, and the radiator itself. yea lot's of stuff. but i figure i may be able to get away with buying all of this stuff to fix it through ebay and other local vendors for approximately 1200 bucks. then i have some body work done to the roof and the quarter panel. est another 800. i have a hook up that can get me a great paint job for about 1000.
all in all, i may be able to get the car repaired and painted for 3-4k (i may be shooting for the stars here). but when i'm done i have one nice looking lude...at least that's what i hope, i mean it was in a wreck and all.
so here's what it comes down to, do you guys think i should try to fix it? i mean, i don't even need to drive it for a while since i just started university, so if it took me a year to fix, i wouldn't care. or do you think i should just try to sell the rest of it and buy another later? see i would do this in a heartbeat, but it's so damn hard to find a vtec in good condition in arizona (i mean i bought the previous two in cali).
i mean i put quite a bit of money into it, like an aem intake, i did some custom interior work, with a system, st sway bars, neuspeed strut bar, a few guages here and there, plus it was in excellent condition, and the interior still is. but i just don't want to be sorry and end up buying another prelude that is in shitty condition and what not. like i said i love this car and i don't want another vehicle.. and i'm really not interested in buying an s or si and swapping, cause that way there's always a factor of not actually getting the swap done or you have some reliability and smog problems.
i know i wrote a lot, but any feedback, espescially from you experienced guys, would be great.
peace.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here's some pictures, and it may be totalled, i'm still determining that. but remember, i don't think there's any frame damage... oh and i have a spare sunroof from my old lude

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
yea i don't know, a wrecked car is never the same, imo i would see what i could do about finding another one

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
see i've been doing that for a while, but like before i can't find any... it's so hard to find a vtec in arizona, even doing a 300 mile search on autotrader. there's like 1 or 2, but they've either got really high miles, or riced out to all hell

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
h22lude said:
so to the best of your knowledge, its just cosmetic damage?
yea, minus the radiator, that has a small crack, but yea, it still drives
though i let it run for a while and now the exhaust has a bit of white smoke... and i'm just hoping that it's because it was upside down for a while and some oil seeped down past the piston rings.

·
Registered
296 Posts
not that lude's aren't sweet but if i were you i'd just swap the engine into a civic shell and work from there.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4bidden said:
You just missed a 96 VTEC shell for sale in the paper on Sunday. They only wanted $1600 for it. It was stolen and they just took the motor and tranny, other than that it was fine.

I still say its wayyy not worth fixing.
dude, answer your phone!! do you know if it's still for sale or did they sell it? cause if they didn't i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Was that who was callin me non-stop there for a bit!?! LOL

Sorry, I had to watch my sisters kids for the night. :)

I have no idea if its sold, I gave another local the number and he called on it, no idea if he bought it or not. I dont have the paper anymore so I cant give you the number. I will talk to him and see if he still has the number. She told him that it was stolen, the motor and transmission and maybe stereo stolen. Only damage was a rip on one of the leather seats I think he said.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I dunno dude, that sounds like a shit load of work. If the roof just has scrapes and a few dents, then no big deal, but if it's actually creased or wrinkled, the car's screwed. When my accord got wrecked last spring, the roof was creased....the body shop pretty much said they wouldn't touch it even if it wasn't totalled. In the end they decided it was over 15,000 in damage, so it was way totalled.

As far as what to do, you said you don't need a car for a year so, keep your eyes out for a VTEC. There's bound to be one come up in a year. Either that or just go get a 5th gen, and take some of the parts from yours over to the 5th.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts