Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up yall. I know this has been covered before, but I just test drove a new Si and wanted to give my impressions. Forgive me for beating a dead horse...:p

Anyway, drove a black one, and on my very short test drive the only thing I can say is that it was a pretty boring ride. Sure, I flogged the thing as best I could, but it just didn't seem to like it. You can hardly hear the engine, and there isn't any sense of urgency whatsoever in the way the car goes about its business. Its missing the thing that makes my '00 such a blast: the exhillaration! The '02 is just not an especially fun car to drive. Sure its got some torque, but I can't tell you how nice it was to get back in my car and push her up to 8 grand :D Also went and tested an RSX-S and that made me feel better, too
:D
So, here's the kicker: sticker is 19,200, but the sales manager said he was ready to deal, and would knock it down to 15,998. Ouch! He told me flat out that he was having a hard time getting them off the lot. Nothing new there, I guess, but I just had to hear it for myself. Can anyone think of the last time Honda had to actually give deep discounts on one of its new models? Pray for a quick redesign!

That's my two cents. Now a question to anyone who owns a new Si: does it grow on you? Do you love it more after a few thousand mi? Holler. Peace.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
They need to go back to the b series engines. Sure they could use some more torque but honda fans have learned to love the unique high revving vtec engines. The new si is just like a nomal 160 hp car, not the 8000 rpm bumblebee weve all comed to love.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
I drove one about a month ago, and to be honest, it has a lot of good things about it. The car is extremely comfy, and everything feels just right.

The car doesn't seem to rev up as quick as the 99-00's, and it just doesn't seem as fast. Also I hate the fact that it doesn't have an arm rest.

Over all its a great car, but I would not trade my 00 for one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I do have to agree that it was comfy. In fact, the only thing I really liked more about the car was the look and feel of the interior - especially the seats! But to me, the engine and tranny are the key, and they just didn't do it for me. I didn't even like the cool looking shifter as much as I thought I would. The '00 is here to stay...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think from having a 00 Si and then driving the 02 Si, it's a little disappointing. But if was to have never had, driven, or seen the 99-00 Si, I would be pretty happy with the 02 Si. Most of what I wish the 02 Si had or was are the things I love about the 99-00 Si. But I have the say the look has grown on me more.

Maybe I've developed some kind of unconditional Honda love, where I can't HATE any Honda regardless of how it looks or performs. Besides, it's not like one person in the Honda bat cave said, "we're going to do the new Si this way." I'm sure a team had to come up with the idea, which had to have someone else approve that, which was passed to someone else for approval which was passed to someone else for approval, and so on. Supposedly it's doing very well and well liked overseas.

But I still don't think I could trade my 00 in for the new 02.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I also drove this new model. I really don't think this car was designed for our market, and that is the real issue most people are having with it. The new Si/SiR was designed for Europe and the necessary changes were done to it so it could be sold in North America.

Since the introduction of the coupe in North America the sales on HB had been slowly dying and they finally quit making them altogether in the late 90's. At least there were none to be had around my dealership here in Canada unless you wanted a used one.

After the big success of the 99/00 Coupe I was totally shocked that Honda was going to go back to the HB again, they already know they just don't sell as good.

My impresions of the HB are, summed up in that I would never trade my 99 SiR for one. There are some nice new innovations like VTC, but then there are handicaps like VTEC-E and struts. In the end, this car is a side step and not an advancement for the Civic badge.

On my test drive I put this car thru some hard corners, and it felt just plain loose. Body roll, tire flex, and tire skid. Ick! When I got back to the dealership I realized how bad the tires were folding over because there was scuff marks on the entire side walls.

I'll be keeping my SiR for a good long time I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.