Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
god damn man i have to be getting old. i just went out to change the oil, tranny fluid and rotate the tires and it was like the biggest hassle ever. when i was like 18 or so i would spend hours tearing down motors but now even the smallest things make me cringe. im almsot 30 btw, if anyone wondered. now i got everything done in about 45 minutes with a floor jack but still.... its liek the biggest piece of shit 45 minutes ever. im seriously considering just paying to have things done anymore.

anyone else just sick of working on cars?

btw my tranny fluid was fucked. buyers beware of GM synchromesh. my first tranny fluid change had nothing in it. this time around after using synchromesh for 30k my drain pain was littered with metel shavings. with all the shavings in it i seriously doubt the tranny will make it much longer. i used honda mtf this time around so i'll update the next time i change it. if the tranny doesnt shit the bed first. but for all intents and purposes it looks like synchromesh is junk.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Rick V said:
god damn man i have to be getting old. i just went out to change the oil, tranny fluid and rotate the tires and it was like the biggest hassle ever. when i was like 18 or so i would spend hours tearing down motors but now even the smallest things make me cringe. im almsot 30 btw, if anyone wondered. now i got everything done in about 45 minutes with a floor jack but still.... its liek the biggest piece of shit 45 minutes ever. im seriously considering just paying to have things done anymore.

anyone else just sick of working on cars?

btw my tranny fluid was fucked. buyers beware of GM synchromesh. my first tranny fluid change had nothing in it. this time around after using synchromesh for 30k my drain pain was littered with metel shavings. with all the shavings in it i seriously doubt the tranny will make it much longer. i used honda mtf this time around so i'll update the next time i change it. if the tranny doesnt shit the bed first. but for all intents and purposes it looks like synchromesh is junk.

Dude im 18 and im starting to get pissed off at doing those little things, but that might be because I want a new car :lol

BTW don't ever take it to places to let them do it, it will never be done right.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
digink said:
Dude im 18 and im starting to get pissed off at doing those little things, but that might be because I want a new car :lol

BTW don't ever take it to places to let them do it, it will never be done right.

yeah i allready tried that. they look at the car like "im not working on this fucking thing" its hilarious because nobody has even been able to turn it on yet!! they sit there and try and try and try... what a joke.

i want a new car too. truthfully i would like to garage this one and yank the motor to rebuild it again. but i want to get a beater first. ive been eyeing up late 70's cadillac L-dogs for a beater car...pimpin at easy, especially at 30.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Rick V said:
yeah i allready tried that. they look at the car like "im not working on this fucking thing" its hilarious because nobody has even been able to turn it on yet!! they sit there and try and try and try... what a joke.

i want a new car too. truthfully i would like to garage this one and yank the motor to rebuild it again. but i want to get a beater first. ive been eyeing up late 70's cadillac L-dogs for a beater car...pimpin at easy, especially at 30.
Well my car runs fine I just got sick of it, after the swap I just stopped caring about it as much :(

I just want something newer.. im gonna wait a year or so and see if the new GTI is gonna be same spec wise as the euro version, then im gonna buy it :D

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
I guess now you understand why my built lude isn't fixed huh rickv!!! It get's old trying to fix and figure things out. I finally broke down and cut my valve cover and upper plastic cover to speed cam gear adjustments up. I work and then go to auto tech classes at night so I work on cars everyday of my life and it truely does get old. I'm getting my ase certifications and will probably not even put them to their potential because I'm burnt out. I mean all I ever fix is Pontiacs, kias, blazers out the ass and basically all gm products and it gets old. Take a step back rickv look at the potential of what you got, building a motor is fun, putting water pumps in gm products is not lol! Sometimes you just need to get away, like a vacation to ohio this summer so you can check a badass ride out !!!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
btw my tranny fluid was fucked. buyers beware of GM synchromesh. my first tranny fluid change had nothing in it. this time around after using synchromesh for 30k my drain pain was littered with metel shavings. with all the shavings in it i seriously doubt the tranny will make it much longer. i used honda mtf this time around so i'll update the next time i change it. if the tranny doesnt shit the bed first. but for all intents and purposes it looks like synchromesh is junk.[/QUOTE]

True that is what I have found qwith synchromesh after 5,000 miles. It breaks down too quickly and is Crap in a bottle. Use BG synchrshift 2 much better and eliminates the 5th gear grind...

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
i think the GM synchromesh is a gear lube, which might be to thick for the tranny.

I never used it but i heard ur never suppost to put gear lube in the honda manual transmissions. And then i heard it was a gear lube right before i was about to buy some and put it in. at the time i had moble1 10w30 which worked awsome, and then this guy on H-t told me that synthic oil is bad for the tranny which im not sure hes right because ive never had any problem with my tranny and it has 83k on it.

I was at craigs house helping him buff his car and him and his dad showed me how to change the tranny fluid. so how i got honda MTF and its ok but it does not seem to shift as nicely as the moble1.

I drove this guy brads car in orlando when i was painting his blue 5th gen, he told me he just put it in. I did not see anymore of a smoother shifting between his and my car, i think he only had 10k miles on his motor and tranny at the time.

ill be switching back to moble1 10w30 soon, during the winter shifting was alot better also

·
Registered
286 Posts
So just what do you guy's use if not GM syncomesh? Mobil 1? I'm just wondering what mass consensus is on what the best tranny fluid is...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Rick V said:
Do you drive you car hard, take it to the track much? The owner from Spoon said in an interview on some BestMotoring DVD that he recommends replacing the tranny fluid everytime the engine oil is changed if the car is used for tracking. Honestly i've had the opposite effect you have had with the synchromesh. First time i replaced the Honda MTF i had a small amount of little metal shavings, Second time after the Synchromesh I coulding find any shavings. Only time will tell i guess.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Well this settles it. My pennzoil synchromesh is coming out, Im replacing it with redline.

Other than that. My tranny is acting real funny. It was ok at first , now it just sucks. Im thinking synchromesh might be the culprit.

Ill let you know about the shaving. Found none on the first change, swapped out who knows what oil.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
i just put normal 10w 40 in the trannys when we swap engines and havent had any issues, also the h22 tranny sucks balls.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
mike1627 said:
Honestly i've had the opposite effect you have had with the synchromesh. First time i replaced the Honda MTF i had a small amount of little metal shavings, Second time after the Synchromesh I coulding find any shavings. Only time will tell i guess.
i've been using penzoil syncromesh for a while now with no problems. i first put it in and ran it for about 20k miles. changed it to see if there were any shavings and there wasnt. i refilled with the same stuff and have gone another 5k or so miles. its done wonders with smoothing out my shifts.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I will only put Honda MTF in my ride........

and working on cars is painful....unless its something I just bought.

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
Don't beat on your car and you won't have to worry about grinds. I've never had a grind not even on the juice, can't understand why everyone has tranny troubles, use what honda calls for!

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Yeah just lately I replaced my CV axles. About 2-3 times in two days. The first time getting them off was horrible, every point something was either stuck or I didnt have the correct tool and was trying to get by with crap tools.

After I got the hang of ripping and banging it to hell and finally found a ball joint puller that works (wasnt a ball joint puller, but was a puller).

Then just pulling my valve cover with my strut bar in the way, then removing my old distributor there was this tiny piece that gave me trouble about doubled my time on that.

Needless to say im ok with working on cars. Its just that I HATE those little things that pop up when doing something that just seems impossible to figure out or get off , etc.

But yeah tranny fluid was all over my floor when doing the change, that pissed me off. Was easy other than that.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
mike next time drain the tranny fluid and you wont have that problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts