Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a sound card to replace the onboard audio I currently have (which isn't that bad BTW). My budget is ~$50, but if something that I really like is a touch more it would be ok.

I want a card that has multiple "front" speaker outputs. The reason for this is because sometimes I watch video files on to TV via my video card. I also would like my regular computer speakers to be operable as well. Right now I have to reach on the back of my computer to switch back and forth. I could use a splittler but would rather not. I know some cards are 5.1+ outputs, but can the rear speakers be setup to output exactly like the fronts on any cards?

The other thing I would look for is good sound quality. Having surround sound is not much of a priority. I don't play PC games so it would be for listening to music/video files.

CLIFF'S NOTES:
-$50 or so
-output to 2 "front" speaker sets
-best sound quality for music/video files rather than full surround sound or other features unneccessary to me

Ideas???

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
creative soundblasters live! or anywhere along that family model has what you are looking for. They're about 20-40 dollars depending on which model.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I originally was going with Turtle Beach Catalina since my old roomate sweared by Turtle Beach plus IntegraTypeRS has helped me make some good computer decisions in the past :) . I read some reviews that the general consensus was some disappointment with the card. I found a SB Audigy 2 Value for $50 and that sounded like a decent deal so I went for it. Thanks guys! I'll repost once I try it out some.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Let me give you a tip of advice for Creative SoundBlaster Cards:
Install the drivers via device management plug and play Add New Hardware Wizard.

When you start up the system with the sound card windows will advise that it found new hw- either point to where you downloaded updated drivers or insert the cd with the drivers. They will install and you click finish. If they donot install they will get listed as other devices in device manager.

I am just trying to warn you, because creative sw gobbles up resources and sucks memory. Donot use the creative install program. I install SB Audigy cards all day - it is a very good choice for Hardware.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I always use the original drivers and the creative programs since i have 5.1 surround speakers and the program lets me activate the surround speakers. I thought that when i plugged it in, all the speakers would work...........guess it was just too simple. Windows drivers doesnt have the program to let you activate other speakers. The windows speaker setup doesn't work at all.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i cannot have all of that creative sw running in the background. I have had success with windows speaker management with my sblive and windows native driver - if you install the sw do a custom install and shut off all system tray icons and services . probably will still need to go into msconfig or registry to remove unnecessary garbage
good luck with sbaudigy

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
RunninSOHC said:
i cannot have all of that creative sw running in the background. I have had success with windows speaker management with my sblive and windows native driver - if you install the sw do a custom install and shut off all system tray icons and services . probably will still need to go into msconfig or registry to remove unnecessary garbage
good luck with sbaudigy
o yeah i disabled all those crap, its pratically useless anyways. I just needed the AUDIOHQ to customize my speakers and card.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i especially donot like audio hq running in the taskbar - you can open it via start - programs just as easy. Put it in your quick launch if you use it so much

1 - 11 of 11 Posts