Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys... you've helped out before, but this one I think will stump ALL of you. I am going to give you ALL the details because who knows it might be needed. I don't mean to sound sarcastic but there has been 3 dealerships, Jackson Racing, and tons of friends/family involved in trying to figure out the problem, and we can't figure it out. Here goes...

Okay, I drive a white 1995 Honda Civic EX. I have a Jackson Racing Supercharger running at 6lbs. AEM intake, Naxos exhaust, catco hiflow cat, valve cover breather. Some others that aren't important. Now, my car was taken in to the shop for some maintenance and I got it back. Well I drove it home one day and it was over heating when I pulled in my driveway. I took it back the next day to the dealership and they said the thermostat was sticking. They replaced the thermostat and a week or two after they did that it started to smoke. It would smoke when I started the car. It was almost an instant smoke. Now, the smoke was bluish gray, so we thought it was oil. It usually burns blackish because it's set real rich for the supercharger. This was definitely not a rich fuel smoke. It was almost an oil smoke. So we called the dealership back and told them what was going on. We told them the car is smoking "REALLY BAD", I mean so bad the smoke filled the street (LITERALLY... NO JOKE). I took it back and they had it for a long time, week or so and called me back and they said they couldnt get it to smoke. and the only smoke they did get was from condensation. Well, I picked it up and sure enough no smoke. Well, a few days later, I had a hiflow cat put on the car. I had no problems. Another few days goes by and there was SMOKE again. Same color. Same time after I started the car it filled the street with smoke. This time it seemed a bit worse than before. It kept coming out and wouldnt stop. The dealership told me to take a picture of it to show them the smoke color and such, so I did that and took it back to them. Same thing, they said it checked out great on the head gasket tests and compression tests. and that it had to be just condensation build up. Well, the next instance I had, I started the car up and friends told me that the smoke was a yellowish color, which to me sounds like sulfur, and again it filled the entire street when I drove it. Again they rain lots of checks on the car, tested the cat, tested the head gasket, etc. No leaks found visibily. And it kind of just stopped for a while. I didn't have much of a problem since, which has been maybe a month at most 2 months. NOW..... I get in the car, I start it up, and there is no smoke. BUT when the car gets just above the COLD engine temp line, whether I am driving it or it is in park, as soon as it warms up a tad, IT'S SMOKING WORSE THAN BEFORE!!!! And it's bluish smoke again. This time the smell of the smoke can STILL be smelt inside the car. The windows were rolled up and you could smell the smoke from the exhaust. (NO AC on either.) I have seen lots of condensation, but the smoke is definitely smoke, its not steam. It leaves a residue on the car and makes your hands smell of the smoke after you touch it. I noticed the cat has a rusty look to it, but it did when they told me it was fine. I am going to call them back this afternoon. They said that they could tear down the head and physically check the gasket, but the tests show it's fine, and they said it may just not be the head and to spend that money on physically checking it would be crazy. I need you guys to help me out here... what do you think it is?? I have no antifreeze dropage, Oil is the same level... No evidence of any kind of leaking except for a a few spots in the drive way. My family thinks its the angle my car sits in the driveway causing all the unburnt fuel and water to go towards the back of the exhaust and burn when it gets heated up. It's been doing this new thing where it burns and smokes after it's warmed up for about 4 days now in a row. I have no idea what it is... no one else seems to either, not even jackson racing techs, or the locals around here.

I am wondering if changing the exhaust would do any good, What I mean by changing the exhaust is getting headers, this way I could check the old headers for oil residue, etc, changing out the muffler (getting a different one) and checking all the welds around the cat, pipes etc. Any suggestions???
I appreciate your help!!

· Registered
9 Posts
I'm not sure if this could be it, but my car started smoking like crazy once and it was because my sc belt had jumped a notch and was rubbing against something. It didn't squeel or anything, just tons of smoke poured out. It did smell a bit like burning rubber... does yours smell like burning rubber at all?

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok ... new developments as of today....

I went and checked my oil. it was low about a quart, but get this... my OIL dipstick reeks of gasoline! Is that piston rings??? Also, the guy said it could be an injector stuck open, but that doesn't make sense because the car runs FINE... when i first had the JRSC instaled the engine surged REALLY BAD... but they seemed to have fixed that. I use 93 octane gas, from chevron and I will try parking different as of tonight and see if it makes a difference. Though there is lots of water coming out of the exhaust, but the smoke is not white, it's blue/gray!

· Registered
666 Posts
I think you have a coolant leak and are getting it into the cylinders. That can happen when your car overheats once if you warp a head/damage a gasket/etc. Saw a Teg do it on the dyno a couple of days ago.

When it smokes, does the engine temp go up? If so, that is a sure sign you are pressurizing your coolant.

· Registered
3 Posts
Smoking Civc

If I were you I would remove all of your spark plugs and see if there is any oil residue. Then I would reinstall them and start the car when it starts smoking shut the car off, pull the plugs and check them again. It sounds to me like either your valve guide seals are leaking or the piston rings leaking or both.Other possibility is your fuel is not burning completely.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well.. took the car into the dealership today... it was smoking OUT of the exhaust (tailpipe)... popped the hood, was low 2qts of oil so definitely burning oil, we determined it was burning 1/4qt in about 20-30miles. also had some smoke coming from the exhaust manifold area <not much though> checked plugs this morning again, and this time a little oil was resident on two of the plug wires. basically we know it's going to fail compression tests and most likely means i am going to have to replace the short block on the car because we think the cylinders are out of round now due to the pistons. Any suggestions on what kind of pistons/rods etc i need to look into for aftermarket forged pistons and suuch? This is a whole new ball game for me.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hey

What has the dealership done.....Have they done a compression test and or a leak down test on the motor.... I had a buddy with a 00 civic Si that was doing the same thing...car ran great and just just a lot of oil.....he ended up doing a compression test and had two piston that where almost shot....he had stuck valves and worn out rings.....:confused: SO get them to do a leak down test and that will let you know if you have any head leaking down.....Have you noticed that your car uses alot more gas or us any antifreeze.....Let me know and I will check with some of my honda buddy mechanics and let you know.....

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Hey

Well we already know it's going to fail the leak down/compression tests.... with oil in the spark plugs that's almost a dead give away... plus the gasoline smell in the oil pan... along with the smoke and burning of the oil as rapid as it is... we've determined it's 95% the piston rings and possibly the head gasket as well, but obviously that would be replaced after they tear the head open. The car has been eating my gas up hardcore... I get MAYBE 200 miles on a full topped off tank of gas. No antifreeze loss.

· Registered
12 Posts
ok

Ok well that sucks well at least you finally figured something out and you can finally get it fixed and get on with your live....Just wanted to say good luck...are you going to do anything with the head liek port and polish it will you have it off or are you going back stock....looks like you have alot of work but hey look at is this way when you get done it is going to be a pretty sweet car....again good luck............

· Registered
666 Posts
Rings for sure, but the question is why? Sometimes when you overheat you get coolant in the cylinders and that will screw up your rings. You need to find out why it happened to keep it from happening again and to make sure you are not missing another problem. When you pull the heads, you may be able to tell what caused it.

Good luck.

· Registered
6 Posts
JRSC

I had JRSC on my 89 d16 in my rex back in '96 ran great til '99 when the rotor bearings got worn and the rotors started taking chunks out of the case and destroyed the engine and head....anyway when I built the engine back in '96 Airas told me to use their 8.5:1 compression pistons .15 over and get some Acura GSR rods and use them, they said that those would be better for long life than using billet rods and alot cheaper too.
The crank ends were the same but brass bushings had to be put in for the wrist pins. At any point for the money use the Aries slugs.

P.S. I was also running 9 lbs. of boost.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: ok

Honestly, I have no idea yet... I might have to buy a whole new short block and rebuild that one. I don't have any idea on what this all consists of, im not big on internal engine mods and stuff... never been my area... my first time.

00Blownex said:
Ok well that sucks well at least you finally figured something out and you can finally get it fixed and get on with your live....Just wanted to say good luck...are you going to do anything with the head liek port and polish it will you have it off or are you going back stock....looks like you have alot of work but hey look at is this way when you get done it is going to be a pretty sweet car....again good luck............

· Registered
3 Posts
smoking Civic

Something smells fishy. Your first post said the dealer said the compression was OK. With oil on you plugs, and if your loosing that much oil there is no way the compression was good. It sounds like someone ran your car hot and smoked the rings, then the dealer not wanting to deal with any liabilites kind of blew it off. I really dont know, but If your first post is true, then someone some where along your troubles is not honest.Keep you r eyes open!!

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this has already been established... i took my past invoices up and showed them to the service advisor and i also talked to some of my connections yesterday afternoon... see, I used to work at John Eagle Acura (about a 1 1/2yrs ago) The dealership I take my car to is John Eagle Honda, anyway... I told them that it's virtually impossible for the car to be smoking then and no signs of anything be evident. Well, they told me that if it is the pistons, that the rings could have been slightly loose and when they were cold caused them to shrink, and as the car got hot caused it to stretch... i told him i wasn't believing the story. I also told him that the labor from the last few times was going to be deducted from this work and he agree'd and apologized. What had happened then was the service advisor I deal with and knows the JRSC setups left for vacation and the service advisor that was then responsible is like a 20yr old kid and didnt know anything about the cars problems or anything. Needless to say this should have been told to me prior to this whole situation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.