Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded the S-10 off on a '94 Del Sol w/ a 1.5 liter in it.
Not too sure where to start soupin it up.

Any clues for me?
Not going to have alot of cash to dump in on it,just wondering what I can do with what I have

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
HOW MUCH $

i say suspension/brakes/engine

in that order

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good,any type of suspension better than another?
and about the engine,Do you recomand boring it out,or going with a vtec?

One guy told me to goto the boneyard and pick up a stock turbo and bolt it on,and than let the engine blow,than bore it,sleeve it

Any clues there?

As far as money,not much for the next month or so...
But one the first of the yr hits,prolly a g amonth or a little less

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Newguy3020 said:
Sounds good,any type of suspension better than another?
and about the engine,Do you recomand boring it out,or going with a vtec?

One guy told me to goto the boneyard and pick up a stock turbo and bolt it on,and than let the engine blow,than bore it,sleeve it

Any clues there?

As far as money,not much for the next month or so...
But one the first of the yr hits,prolly a g amonth or a little less
depends on how well you want your car to handle. first off, the del sol s came with NO sway bars. you will feel the bigest difference there wiht stock suspension. as far as coils go. do you want adjustability? theres a shitload of combinations. do you want to handle like a track car? or a spirited street car.

i wouldnt recommend "picking up a stock turbo" and bolting it to your car. theres stil la lot of work to do to make it work properly. it would be a waste of time and money.

ok..... if you are low on cash.... an effective suspension setup (non adjustable) would be
Koni Red's with h&r sport springs.

if you want adjustability go with koni yellows. and some ground control. maybe 300f/350r springrates. or even h&r race springs.

i wouldnt recommend "coil over" sleeves.

if you want coilovers... do it right and get h&r cup kit or even tein if you have the money. if you wanta track car get buddy club or jic magic. theres a load of possibilities.

ENGINE, while the sohc is a weak engine, dont worry about going faster until you can afford a swap. even a d16 (sohc vtec) woulk dbe the best bang for the buck. for now things that are fairly universal, intake and exhaust. dont go too large, you still need bak pressure with such a small engine.

this is what i did to MY del sol s

got gsr sway bars. 24mm front/14mm rear
installed h&r sports on tokiko blues (do NOT get these)
generic strut bar
cusco front lower tie bar
emracing trunk bars

that was my cheapo suspension.
since then i upgraded to eibach 26mm front and 17 mm rear sway bars. and urithane bushings for front control arms.

i'm currently saving up for the tein ss for integras because the spring rates are a lot higher and closer to a more neutral setup than the del sols. (i'm also too poor for tein flex :p)

i'm more ov a suspension nut than a power nut. you dont need a lot of power to go fast in corners, just in strait lines.

before swapping to any b-series engine i would highly advise getting better brakes. upgrade to the itnegras (identitcal to del sol vtec)

you dont need to waste thousands on the name brand big brake kits like wilwood or brembo. a lot of the pads now a days dont emmit so many gasses understressful braking. rendering slotted and crossdrilled nearly useless. for cooling purposes, just remove the dust shield behind the brakes. and no, removing that does NOT wear the life down on your cv boot due to heat.

i dunno, thats my 1/50th of a dollar

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
RedSolSi said:
Engine: LS/ turbo or B16A( turbo)

You could go with Tein suspension . DC sports headers, Apexi N1 catback.
vtec engines were built for na. the b16 is such a perfect engine for na applications because the rod stroke ratio is nearly perfect (1.74) i wouldnt recommend turboing a b16. the b18, ok because it also has larger displacement (helps spool) either way you will have to drop compression in both engines. personally i would think a built b18b turbo would kick a b16 turbos ass. besides, price of engine alone, ls engines are MUCH cheaper than any b series vtec. hell if you want to go all out crazy wiht displacement and turbos, get a b20. even cheaper. with proper sleeving and pistons. and a modified ls head (cams, valves block guard etc) it can be a high power monster.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Phantom_Sol said:
i wouldnt recommend turboing a b16. the b18, ok because it also has larger displacement (helps spool)

not really......a B16 will spool a turbo faster than a B18 will actually

i say you go to the scrap yard or wherever and pick up a d16z6..thats the del sol si motor...you can also find them in 92-95 civic si and ex
you can find this for about 200-300 bucks...you have everything else you need on the car tranny/axles/ ect..so all you need is the motor.......if you wanna go turbo i found a really good deal for someone else in htis forum, but idk if he will be using it....ill find it

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i was always under the impression that the lower the copression and larger displacement engines would spool faster than the smaller displacement engines because of more gas flow...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts