Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, so the dealership told me today its time for new rotors. So i told them to hold off cause i ddn't want to get the OEM because I have rims on the car so i figured this would be a good time to get some nice looking rotors. Anyone have any suggestions?

I was considering the R1Concepts but from the online reviews they don't seem to hold up very well. If you haev any suggestions can you also suggest a place to buy. Only place I know of is modacar and ebay, lol.

I have an 01 4 cyl Sedan, non abs with rear drums so I'll only be needing the fronts. Thanks in advance for your help.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Go for OEM stuff. Designed for the car for a reason. Reading your lil info thing on the left, your not pushing any extra power, so stay with OEM equipment. May not be the cheapest, but they will prolly last the longest.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
like previously said, oem rotors or brembo blanks would be your best bet. hawk hps pads are very good, and bleeding your brakes would make a bit of a difference while you are at it. no need for an upgrade unless you see a good amount of track time and have actually experienced brake fade.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont' track the car but I have rims so I figured i'd get some nice looking rotors. Slotted, not drilled. The pads, OEM would do, or even some Hawks or something along those lines. Where would i get the Brembo blanks? Thanks.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
There is no need for slotted brakes in your case. Just get oem.

Go to a local auto parts store and ask for oem or brembo blanks, I am sure they would have them. Otherwise try google, you will find anything.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
80 bucks new rotora and pads, 20 minute install :btu

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no need for slotted brakes in your case. Just get oem.

Go to a local auto parts store and ask for oem or brembo blanks, I am sure they would have them. Otherwise try google, you will find anything.
Its not a matter of need, its a matter of want. As stated above I have rims and want a nice looking rotor back there. Thanks for your suggestions anyway. I did find the brembo's and other options on tirerack although i'm sure they dont' have the best pricing.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
parts store has mine for 80. It may be more expensive for your car.

I actuallly crossdrill my own using a drill press. Just make sure there are NO sharp edges that would tear the pad up.

· Registered
39,372 Posts

I actuallly crossdrill my own using a drill press. Just make sure there are NO sharp edges that would tear the pad up.
i seriously hope you are kidding.

· Registered
8,403 Posts

christ i hope u not serious.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Whats so bad? I always file em a bit to make sure they are smooth, and have never had a [problem with them vibrating a bunch or wearing done faster. Did them to my civic when I got it, 3 years later, sold it, rotors STILL GOOD and good braking, second pair of pads, bvought the del sol, bought and drilled rotors last march or april, changed the pads at the same time, my pads and rotors are stilllooking good.

Its called taking your tiem and doing them good. Dont look at me like Im an idiot just cuz you wouldnt do it or couldnt do it right

· Registered
39,372 Posts
you have to have such precision when drilling rotors. i highly doubt that you have the proper equipment to do it right. each hole would have to be countersunk the exact amount, be on the exact opposite side of one another, plus drilled rotors tend to crack when going through hundreds and thousands of heating cooling cycles unless they are made of the proper alloys etc.

that being said, it is not a smart idea to cross drill oem rotors.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I went to the parts store and asked for the best oens originally. GOt out my buddies' dad's new drill press, it has stoppers that go to .01 inches, and also has angle marks and templates galore for drilling in such a fashion.

Believe me, I practised on several old removed rotors before doing my own.

All it is is 3 holes per lug hole line, so 12 total. I dont drive my car hard enough to really get a feel for how much drilling actually did, but since I did it simply to make my wheels cover nice looking brakes, I wasnt worried about reducing my braking force so slightly so they got cooled better.

Now if I were to autoX my car, Id drop what was on em and get cross drilled rotors. Im not stupid, but thanks anyways.

Not everycar needs flawless care given to it. Fuck paying extra for crossdrilled. how else you get them anyways?

BTW i countersunk each hole to .09 inches, then had a fine edge filer to smoother the edges. I was able to drag a damp tissue over each hole without it tearing, so it was fucking smooth edges for each hole. Took me about 3 hours per rotor.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
still it is not a smart idea. drilling holes in anything will weaken its structural integrity. cross drilled rotors from the factory are typically made of more robust material so that they would resist cracking, drilling your own even if done very precisely is not worth the risk.

if you want cross drilled rotors you are better off buying a set that are made to be cross drilled, not doing it yourself.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
still it is not a smart idea. drilling holes in anything will weaken its structural integrity. cross drilled rotors from the factory are typically made of more robust material so that they would resist cracking, drilling your own even if done very precisely is not worth the risk.

if you want cross drilled rotors you are better off buying a set that are made to be cross drilled, not doing it yourself.
Just quit this discussion.

I dont drive my car enough or hard enough to cause any issues, I had my civic fitted with my drilling sty6le for 3 years with NO problems.

If you dont like it, tell someone who will listen. UNTIL I have an issue with my crossdrilling I wont stop. They look good, they perform perfectly ok for me, I dont have over 100whp to even worry if they will hold up. Hell after 20 minutes of my city driving, they arent even warm to the touch.

Just stop

OP dont try this drilling method

Stein, simply back off, I have no need or want to argue any more. Please stop

· Registered
39,372 Posts
Just quit this discussion.

I dont drive my car enough or hard enough to cause any issues, I had my civic fitted with my drilling sty6le for 3 years with NO problems.

If you dont like it, tell someone who will listen. UNTIL I have an issue with my crossdrilling I wont stop. They look good, they perform perfectly ok for me, I dont have over 100whp to even worry if they will hold up. Hell after 20 minutes of my city driving, they arent even warm to the touch.

Just stop

Stein, simply back off, I have no need or want to argue any more. Please stop
nobody is arguing with you.

I am trying to guide him in the right direction, and you are telling him to cross drill his own rotors. come on now, let us be realistic here. you and 98% of the people who have cross drilled or slotted rotors have never and probably never will experience brake fade so the better heat dissipation is not even part of the equation. This option should not even come into consideration.

For most people they are purely aesthetic and nothing else, but like I said, drilling your own rotors is simply a bad idea. Stop guiding him in the wrong direction.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
^^
my last post included

Like I said, please stop, the original poster knows better than to do it, I foolishly mentioned it once.

/thread

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No worries guys, i'm not mechanically inclined enough nor would I have the balls or equipment to drill my own rotors. That said, I was asking for suggestions on a nice looking brake setup for my car so I appreciate your suggestions whatever they may be.

I think I'm gonna go with powerslot slotted and some hawk hps pads. It'll have to wait til Feb as I just dropped a load at the dealership getting my tune up, timing belt, waterpump, tranny and some other stuff remedied.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Hawk HPS= good choice :btu

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.