Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, two weeks ago i installed my aem cai and lost a lil low end torque, and this past weekend i installed my thermal exhaust with test pipe and lost a lot more low end. it pulls harder in top end, but my low end is just pitiful. so i need some mods that will give me back my low end, i just dont kno where to start. so any input to what i can do/buy to give me some low end? and an ignorant question to ask but, i was lookin for some cam gears online and they only sell them per cam gear, so how many would i need?

and btw i love my thermal exhaust, it looks and sounds great, thanks to cementups.

·
Registered
661 Posts
you'll need 2 cam gears (DOHC) and most places should sell them in pairs. I've heard that advancing/retarding you ignition will help your low end...but i'm not sure on that, my friend did it on his civic si...but i dont know how safe it is or if it even works.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Re: pulley

bseriesracer said:
pulleys would give u more low end
Well actually it depends on what pulley youre talking about, i assume accessory pulleys. Crank pulley will cause low end loss too, engine will rev up faster.

beachboy, what is your igniton timing set at? stock? which is 15 degree, so just advance the timing up to 17-18 degree. Everytime i set my timing to 13-15 degree, the car runs really sluggish.

Also cam gears are good for adjusting your powerband, should be set up at the track, not dyno, on dyno for hp/tq, at track for best 0-60, 1/4mi, and trap speed. In matter of fact i only have one adj. cam gear on my engine right now, which is exhaust side, im going to do some runs tomorrow on g-tech and adjust my cam gear and see what happens. I've had that gear for about over a year and never adjusted it... :sleep: :D

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
get header :) it will give you some of that lower end power :)

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
dyno's I have seen the low end power isn't lost....its just it doesn't gain any low end while the top end gains a lot.....and it just FEELS like the low end is lagging cause the high end power keeps getting higher and higher while the low end isn't gaining and staying stock.

·
Registered
866 Posts
how bout a jrsc? pricey but it'll definately resolve the lack of power on the lower end. just a suggestion. btw, i just put on my thermal, and i too love the look of it. almost stock-looking the sound is pretty good too, much more mellow than my custom exhaust w/ the n1 universal. which was just too loud.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with lOOkatme. You don't lose low end power with the addition of a CAI and exhaust. Maybe the test pipe, but that's uncertain without a dyno run. I know that I never lost any power when I dynoed my bolt ons. And as for the pulleys adding to your low end...it's just a myth. Pulleys don't add much additional power until VTEC crossover. But they do give you better throttle response, which makes your car feel a bit more peppy at lower rpm. A larger bore throttle body and port matched intake manifold would also help your throttle response.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
LAblue said:
get header :) it will give you some of that lower end power :)
You normally loose low-end power with a header , larger diameter = more air to fill....

It also depends on the design....but most of the time ultra low-end torque is kinda lost , but low-mid all the way to redline is helped.

Throttle body can help some , short stack intake , fuel tuning, making sure your spark is efficient (replacing anything to help)...
Lightweight valves , retainers , springs....As well as making sure the car is cool as possible , radiator if you can , also getting a switch for the fan so you can cool it all the time...as well get a Thermostat and some redline water wetter.

All that should help quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
SpanishRicer said:
I'm inclined to agree with lOOkatme. You don't lose low end power with the addition of a CAI and exhaust. Maybe the test pipe, but that's uncertain without a dyno run. I know that I never lost any power when I dynoed my bolt ons. And as for the pulleys adding to your low end...it's just a myth. Pulleys don't add much additional power until VTEC crossover. But they do give you better throttle response, which makes your car feel a bit more peppy at lower rpm. A larger bore throttle body and port matched intake manifold would also help your throttle response.
Yeah exhaust seemed to not really do anything to the low-end , only time i really notice a decrease was from a test-pipe and my header....

The rest is pretty much a plus....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts