Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
idk. started runnin hot the other day. thought it was just a coincidence. then it started happening again today. only when i was still or drivin hard. so i turned on the heat to High, keep in mind this is georgia, 90 degree weather today. thermostat goes back down. so i took it out again tonight and got down the road and started accelerating and it just..lags. doesnt pull. boost meter is showin normal boost, it just refuses to pull. sounds like a little sputtering. kinda like it hit the limiter, but before the limit? wtf? i guess if the motor went then it went. thats what i get for turbocharging a high mileage motor right? i guess it was fun while it lasted. now i can pull the motor, drive the other piece of shit, and work on a new project. if its blown. should i keep the shell? or just fuck it and keep saving for another piece of shit that i can swap a b series into?

i didnt see any leaks coming from anywhere, coolant was full, however when i got on the gas earlier today i noticed a lil more smoke in the rearview than normal. i think thats bad. i got less than a half mile down the road and decided it wasnt safe to drive, i didnt wanna be stranded anywhere, or risk further fucking things up so i came home. the thermostat is brand new, i replaced it less than a month ago because the motor severly overheated one afternoon and my fuse kept blowing for the cooling fan. that fixed it. now it seems to be happening again. bad water pump maybe? i dont know.

i wanna do whats cheap and cost effective if the motor is blown, but the sol has given me enough problems. i love it to death but im tired of all these damn problems. too many minor things. kinda ready for new project/manual trans if the motors gone.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Damn, you've been having the worst luck with cars lately. If you are saying that you have an automatic transmission, then don't even bother trying to save the current motor. Since you have something else to drive around, I recommend searching the classifieds at SHO, team-integra, and HT for a B18B. You can piece one together for next to nothing. The going price for heads is $45-$70, a little more for blocks, and still more for an LS transmission. Meanwhile, look for a manual trans Civic with a blown motor or no motor. Keep the turbo system and rig it up to the LS motor, with Hondata and tuning this time.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
this is prob a dumb question but did u check for oil contamination in your radiator? maybe a blown head gasket, intake manifold gasket or cracked block if runnning hot and smoking. also if you noticed more smoke than usual, maybe blown turbo seal? i don't think that'll make it run hot but def smoke. also if u live in
georgia, y not remove thermostat? and u can hard wire your cooling fan to an on/off switch u can control manually.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did a follow up check in the garage just now with all your advice in mind. coolant reservoir is now empty. will refill, checked radiator cap, didnt see any but its so hard to see, checked oil level: full, appears to be no contamination. however i noticed the wastegate flange is missing a screw? what in the fucking shit is this? how the fuck does that happen? so it was half on half off. what the hell would cause that? that would account for the weird sound and little sputtering, and loss in boost and increased lag. but not for running hot. i still did not find any leaks on or around the block or head. however i will see if its driveable to work tomorrow and get underneath for a better look. i believe a compression test is still warranted. i will do a search on how, because i know its been posted here ive seen it, but ive never actually done it. anyone have the compression specs for a d16z6? i have the haynes manual so itll probably be in there ill read up on it later. this shit is so :g

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
comp test is simple

pull plugs put comp tester in there and crank it a few times

just did mine...i ran 180 across the board... not sure what the z6 is supposed to have, but ill bet its 180..that or everything is damaged evenly (im sure its not)

you said that the car was making boost i thought?
how far off was the WG?....was it off to the point that you were blowing all your exhaust out of it?

that resovoir being empty is no big deal...you have to check the radiator...if that was getting low then look for a leaking/cracked line or rad

what color is the smoke?...antifreeze=white oil=blue fuel=black

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the hole was probably enough for me to get very, very mild boost, hence the stock NA lag. the meter was moving back to 0 every time i hit the gas, but i guess that happens when no boost is present also. the noise was probably the exhaust exiting unevenly. and i will have to check the radiator. ill see if i can do the comp test tomorrow at work. were always slow mondays. last monday i think i took a nap in the middle of the bay. im just scared to drive it cause i dont wanna break anything worse.

if i get low compression ratings what should i do? replace....what? piston rings?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
ksniperfox said:
the hole was probably enough for me to get very, very mild boost, hence the stock NA lag. the meter was moving back to 0 every time i hit the gas, but i guess that happens when no boost is present also. the noise was probably the exhaust exiting unevenly. and i will have to check the radiator. ill see if i can do the comp test tomorrow at work. were always slow mondays. last monday i think i took a nap in the middle of the bay. im just scared to drive it cause i dont wanna break anything worse.

if i get low compression ratings what should i do? replace....what? piston rings?
yup..rings. i would also do a leak down to make sure.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i'm no expert but i had the impression that u turbo'd a stock engine. i thought a turbo warranted lower compression pistons and different rings? i thought a turbo would end up damaging stock piston rings, granted u r only running, i think 7psi. any info on this???

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gotsum said:
i'm no expert but i had the impression that u turbo'd a stock engine. i thought a turbo warranted lower compression pistons and different rings? i thought a turbo would end up damaging stock piston rings, granted u r only running, i think 7psi. any info on this???
i did. a turbo doesnt necessarily warrant lower cr pistons, its just safer and easier to tune. while you will get more power with a higher compression ratio. as far as the rings, depends on how much boost and the present condition of the rings/how hard you drive it, etc. FI will lower the life of the internals. inevitably. and mine is on 7psi.

·
Registered
395 Posts
ksniperfox said:
i did. a turbo doesnt necessarily warrant lower cr pistons, its just safer and easier to tune. while you will get more power with a higher compression ratio. as far as the rings, depends on how much boost and the present condition of the rings/how hard you drive it, etc. FI will lower the life of the internals. inevitably. and mine is on 7psi.

that's pretty much what i thought, i'm waiting for my engine to die or start giving me grief before rebuilding, then turbo or supercharger, don't want to rush my high mileage engine to an earlier grave. it has 183k miles and still averages 35mph, doesn't use, burn or leak oil and has been very dependable... knock on wood. good luck w/your motor

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ATISTANG said:
So did you do a damn compression test yet or what?
drove the civy to work today, and we were actually fairly busy. i pulled a $47 ticket avg. our oil change costs 28. im off tomorrow so ill just go in and do it so i dont have to worry about how busy we get. sorry for the delay.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, good news is that i am at work now. bad news, is that my sol is parked a 1/4 mile from my house, undriveable. got out of the hood, gave the smallest bit of gas, sputters, i hear some metal parts dinging internally, some hissing, then dies. so i just keep rolling til i find a good spot to leave it. i walk home and on the way my friend sees my walkin so she gives me a ride home. i drove my civic to work. i got my uniform on so i can switch places with my buddy while he goes to get his trailer and were gonna haul it back to my house after he gets off work. this other guy i work with, his mother runs a salvage yard. he said he can probably get me a b18b for next to nothing. infact he said hed get the entire car and haul it to my house too, again for next to nothing. i asked him if hes got any other engines in the yard id take them instead. like a gsr, type r, rsx, element, newer accords..pretty much anything with dohc or k series. i could care less about the vtec. i wanna do the internals too. forged pistons, rods, etc.

i didnt see any cracks in the block or any coolant or oil leaking. i plan on using the same turbo and all. obviously different mani. who knows maybe the timing belt cracked and the engine is still good? i didnt check it.

a new project just started in the saddest possible way. :cry :cry :cry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.