Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i want to make A LOT of power when i get my turbo on which will be in about 2 months. I am building the block and will be running about 10-12 pounds of boost on the street and 20 or so at the track.

Now, i gotta do something about this pesky 7k rpm redline. What would i need, that would be safe to use on a turbo, to raise my redline to about 8 or 8500? I want to do this mainly because i've been told that turbos keep making power beyond redline. So why stop at 280 horsepower at 7k when i can have 294 at 8 or even 300 at 8500?

need some imput guys, thanks a bunch. :)

p.s. or should i just run more boost to get that extra power? is it worth the hassle?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The cool thing about a turbo, is you can tune it to give you horsepower at alower RPM range. But if you really want to turn 8500+RPM's, have fun, and get a scatter shield for the tranny.:D

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Ive been doin the same research bro...I have a LS and currently upgrading valvetrain to handle and make power up to 7000+.

This is what my parts list is:

-Crower turbo cams, valvetrain upgrade
http://www.crower.com/cat/import/honda/camshafts.shtml

-Eagle rods/JE pistons...for 800 bucks its a steal. Sold in a combo

-Re-sleeve and Block gaurd.

The LS shouldn't be revved to 7k+...it wasnt designed to do so, but for a track car that is the only exception.

An ecu coupled with no limiter should be accompanied with this setup, A S_AFC or Hondata tuning tool should be used inorder to fine tune maps, redline, etc.

Thats what I have came up with recently, Ill add anytying if needed.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
You really dont need to push the limit, ie; 7k+

I was thinking of getting a adjustable boost controller...I think it is turboXS who gave tuners the ability to adjust boost from a low setting and having the capabiltiy to transition to a higher boost level.

This in all will give you less lag yet more of a high-end. Stephen papadakis uses this in his drag car...I remember reading an article on this. Basically you start off with with 5psi than transition to 15psi

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a lot for your help jayman.

Considering im getting a new clutch and flywheel, my 3rd gear scratches also. I've been told a new transmission is the easiest way to go so would i be better off getting a b16 transmission or a b18c? or should i just say fuck it and spend the valvetrain money on something else?

Jayman: tha rod/piston combo you're talking about, are you selling that or what?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
LS gearing is fine for the turbo setup....if you are getting a flywheel get something in the 12lb range and as for the clutch...make sure you get the clutch to match the power you want to output......

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Matt said:
get some roller rocker/followers from crower or crane. that'll help you reach 10k+ if so desired.
also expect to throw a piston through the block...not good for a daily driver, maybe for a track car that does 10second runs

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
as was mentioned i wouldn't rev the B18B block past 7K or 7500 at most just because the valvetrain can handle it. you have to think of the bottom end also. it's not made to turn crazy rpm.
you can if you want to but it normally doesn't last long. for a track car that gets rebuilt often it may be ok but not a street car that should last awhile.

build the motor to handle lots of boost and then tune it very well keeping the stock redline or close to it. you'll have a nice powerband without reving real high. the B18B/B20B make great low end power so it'll still be fast, it just makes power differently than the B18C motors.

hope everything goes well and enjoy it!

:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.