Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I want to have a system. I don't plan on spending much at all.
All I want is a decent good sounding two 10 or 12 inches with box. I want to buy one from circuit city. I saw some for about $100-250 (saw this hella awesome one that costed $250, two 12 inches ready to go).....and i wanna get an amp...probably around 400 WATT or so.

I can get a sony 500 watt or so for about $100, and get my whole system installed for about $100 too.

Also:
I have everything stock right now. I am looking for low STRONG BASE, and i don't want loud volume really. Maybe that will help you guys out with helping me :)

THanks

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'd probably steer away from the sony. If you look around, you might be able to find something better for just a little more. But, if you just want to spen the bare minimum, then it should be okay. Which subs at CC are you looking at? How much power do they need? And, last, would you be able to install the system yourself. If so, then you could save $100 in that, and put that towards a little better amp.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i agree with crx4luke. looks like u r spending around 450. thats not a whole lot, but u can still get some bump in your trunk. I would also stay away from sony, especially the xplod line(lots of problems).just make sure that whatever subs u get, get a good amount of power. Its pointless to get good subs if they cant perform at their peak potential. If u dont care about warrenties, I would also try looking online for subs because the stores tend to be more expensive. that will at least give u more options. hope thishelps. tell us how everything turns out when u do decide.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. Yes I can install the system with a help of a friend.

I am going to go around today and look at some boxes and ask how much power they need. I don't really know that much about systems and amps ;)

So what amps are "good"? I am looking at circuit city and good guys store today and i am gonan see what they have....

Cya

·
Registered
252 Posts
Since your not out to impress anybody, just to make your car sound nice, this is what i would do

Go out and get 1 nice 12, and get a decent amp on it, and a good box, and you seriously will be loud and sound nice and still have money left in your pocket!

Circuit city, i guess you found some mtx subs!
You should look at www.sounddomain.com they will beat any price on the net, you can pick up a really nice sub for under 200 and a good amp for under 200, all you need is a amp that will put out about 600 watts and match it up well with a sub, a good amp that puts out 600 watts it the jbl 600.1 and you can get that on the net for around 150!

·
Registered
424 Posts
u should get a audiobahn 1200x off ebay for 75$ put in in a 3^3ft ported box yunned to 29 or 30hz... try find a used amp like a crossfire 600.1 or a memphis 500d that would be some nice deep rumble for under 500$

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info guys, thanks.
I definately am making a system to not impress others but to just improve my music with a bit more base.

I think I already decided what to get.
Box = JL Audio 10" Woofer $169
(125 watt advertised, but it can take much more...about 300. I heard these JL's last good and the company makes really good boxes for them. This one I saw had their sub and box ready made to be sold. The box was specially made for that sub, so that's why i am getting it. It's a big box, with a 10 inch woofer in the middle. I like the looks)

This is what I got JL's website:
Power Handling:
125W Continuous

Amp = MTX 2 Channel Amp Thunder 6152 $249 (About 300 watt i believe, not quite sure. Here is a link to the amp with info

WhatHere is a link to the subwoofer enclosed

Let me know what ya guys think :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
if u got with the audiobahn and build oyur own box it will get way lounder and go alot lower........ it will stil cost the same to

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
hmm..... my sub/amp combo will be less than 500.... iamma get a idmax, bp600.1, wires, and box........ less than 500 :p

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do not buy anything from circuit city period. You can get alot better stuff online for alot cheaper. Then you can go to a local car shop and pay them to install it for you. Anything from circuit city is crap and too expensive.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i agree you can get better deals on things in other places than from circuit city. If you look around on the net, you can get a pretty awesome setup for under $500.

AF22: not to be a dick or anything, just an observation, but i see at least 3 things in your signature that you can get from circut city. It may be over priced, but its not all crap. Though, there aren't any subs that i'd buy from there.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys!!!
I just got my sub with enclosure for $102 (complete with tax) from good guys! Got a hookup from friend ;)

I tested the JL 10 " Woofer out and compared them with others. The JL gave clear, deep, and accurate base compared to whatever there was with a 10 inch sub! I loved the sound of it!! :D
Me very happy!

Click here to see the box

Next thing I need is a good amp to power that baby up!
What you guys think about Kenwood amps? There are some good deals on ebaymotors.com but I can't really trust ebay :(

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What you guys think about Kenwood amps?
Screw Kenwood amps.

For about 250 bucks buy yourself an Arc 2050 CXL. www.arcaudio.com Arc makes BADASS amps, some of the best on the market right now. The 2050 will make 230x1 into 4 ohms. Yes, the sub can handle the 230, just keep the gains reasonable.

·
Registered
841 Posts
VTECnicalAccord said:

Screw Kenwood amps.

For about 250 bucks buy yourself an Arc 2050 CXL. www.arcaudio.com Arc makes BADASS amps, some of the best on the market right now. The 2050 will make 230x1 into 4 ohms. Yes, the sub can handle the 230, just keep the gains reasonable.
<Homer Voice> HMMMMMM...Arc </Homer Voice>

That amp is a beauty

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Originally posted by WILLHAVEANALSEX4DASHPAD

<Homer Voice> HMMMMMM...Arc </Homer Voice>

That amp is a beauty
LMAO! I hear ya there man.
The aforementioned set-up with the Dyn seperates is no-more. I think if I so choose to run Dyn I am going to simplyify things a bit and run their top o' the heap 3 ways and just shove the whole set with an Arc 2050 to each side or go BALLISTIC and run them with a 2500, lol. And then maybe a 2100 or Tube Driver to the horns.

And about your name up there in the qoted part, that is just wrong you SICK FREAK!!!! LMAO.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies guys. I just got my system installed today! it sounds so crazy!!! The JL 10 inch sub sounds like a 12 inch monster.

As far as the amp, i got myself the sony 450W 4 channel with built in crossover for $100 from a friend. The sub was like $102 with a hookup of a friend. I will take some pictures later on and post em of how the final thing looks like. The stock headunit works pretty good and I will probably keep it like that for a long time since ppl will less likely steal anything from my car expect my honda emblem which was jacked last night :( Stupid people. I didn't want it anyway and I am gonna have to clean the rubber that was glued to the body....

Me very happy with system!! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
For $500 you can rock...with Rockford Fosgate. My opinion, since you don't wanna like, set off alarms a mile away...get yourself a 12 inch HX2 from Rockford. Or even a 10 inch HX2. A 200 watt amp should be sufficient. Since I know you shop at Circuit City (big baller), you can check out Best Buy for the amp and box. But a real cheap place to get Rockford Fosgate subs are on Ebay. I do a lot of Ebaying, it's fun, cheap, and.....cheap. Look me up, Ebay id: jizaye4shizaye

·
Registered
102 Posts
Starchild said:
Thanks for the info guys. Yes I can install the system with a help of a friend.

I am going to go around today and look at some boxes and ask how much power they need. I don't really know that much about systems and amps ;)

So what amps are "good"? I am looking at circuit city and good guys store today and i am gonan see what they have....

Cya
heres my rule of thumb that my friend passed down to me:

Awesome HQ amp, cheap ass subs (well not too cheap).

I have Alpine 1000w amp and 2 rockford fosgate 12inchers totalling 800w. its hazardous trying to drive with them on full blast. but your not interested in power...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
NISSANhardbody and NickSE_typeR, in case you guys didn't notice, Starchild's already bought a system and has it installed.

heres my rule of thumb that my friend passed down to me:
Awesome HQ amp, cheap ass subs (well not too cheap).
As far as that quote goes, I MUST disagree. A system is like a chain, only as strong as the weakest link. If I go an buy myself a Brax X2000 (One of the best amps you'll EVER find) and run it to some "cheap ass subs" what' the point? You have to use quality speakers to take advantage of the amps potential. And as far as a 1000 watt Alpine being an awesome amp, you may draw some opposition to that claim. I am not trying to put you down or be a dick, just putting in my 2/100 of a dollar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts