Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's almost winter time to put the car away and do some work. Who can tell me how I could get my 2000 s2000 up to 300 hp without the super charger. What are the best headers exaust and so on.

· Registered
877 Posts
hate to tell you, but the stock components are damn good on an s2000...... theres a reason why it has the best hp/liter of any NA production car...... so you're not gonna get much improvement at all..... and most def not 60hp from those..... the best thing for the s2000 is speedcraft turbo..... it should put you aroun 360

· Registered
1,104 Posts
If you're meaning engine HP, that's a hard but acheivable goal without forced induction. This is what I recommend, in this order:

1) Fuel and Timing computer. Fuel leaning out is good for about 13hp, and timing is good for about 13-18hp.

2) AEM/Injen Cold air intake. This is good for about 2-3hp, but almost none of it at peak

3) Hondata Intake Insulator. This is not good for any horse power, really, but lowers plenum and intake temperatures, so prevents "loss" of HP for standing starts. Without it, the first 10 seconds or so from standing start, the plenum is heating up the air on the way in.

4) Mugen headers. These are good for about 5hp in the mid range.

5) Straight through exhausts. These are good for about 5hp throughout the range. Many people seem to be going for bigger reverse flow mufflers to get a good sound, but not getting any power.

6) Toda Cams & Cam gears. Nobody has posted dyno charts for these that I know of, but many people have claimed the "butt dyno" tells them the car is quicker.

7) Jet-Hot the entire exhaust system from header down to cat. No dynos, but people claim about 1%

8) Port and Polish head. I believe that there is already a port done in the factory, so most P&Ps get very little from doing so. However, my mechanic said that if it's anything like the port done on the Integra Type R, there are still gains to be made, as the ITR only has porting done on the very edge of the intake valve. He's gotten some gains by porting the exhaust valve as well as straightening both runners, and polishing the exhaust runner.

It might not get you to 300hp, but 270 or so from these mods are not unrealistic. To go any further, you'd be looking at higher compression pistons/bored and throttle body etc.

Currently, I only have the exhaust and a K&N filter done (Injen should be arriving this week), with the computer put in on ocassion. It has shown the large gains I put above up to about 7000rpm, but then the coils can't keep up above that, because the computer uses a wasted spark to lower the computing requirements. We're trying to program around that. The rest of it, I've learnt from other S2k owners.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
10,424 Posts
N/A power for the S2000

Step one
Call Golden Eagle ask about sleeves and max bore. " 2.2 liters should be a nice step up"

Step two
Pick out some nice aftermarket pistons to match your engines new bore.

Step three
Upgrade the ignition system.

Step fore
Upgrade the fuel system.

Step five
Port and polish the head.

Step six
Cams.

Of course this is not including the intake, header, and exhaust:) But overall it should give you more than 300 Hp

· Registered
2,575 Posts
ich_folge said:
N/A power for the S2000

Step one
Call Golden Eagle ask about sleeves and max bore. " 2.2 liters should be a nice step up"

Step two
Pick out some nice aftermarket pistons to match your engines new bore.

Step three
Upgrade the ignition system.

Step fore
Upgrade the fuel system.

Step five
Port and polish the head.

Step six
Cams.

Of course this is not including the intake, header, and exhaust:) But overall it should give you more than 300 Hp
you ever checked out s 2 k i .com?

They are selling a fightex/toda head....capable of making close to 300hp all motor.

A guy on the boards, forgot his name, has spent money on endless research and development on his s2k....he wnted to hit the 300hp mark N/A....but to his dismay it is very difficult. The s2k is top-of-the-line and bolt-ons will give minimal or no effects.

And what ich said can be done but by past experience from myself an other friends s2k it aint the route to go...the s2k is hard to mod and making good power gains i also difficult. It isnt that raw when compared to your typical honda motor, so think again when you want to hit that 300hp mark. Fi might be your only option....

My friend is part of SoCalS2k car club...check out their board there is much to learn...and just by attending some of their events and reading their personal experience and trial/errors you will learn what makes a s2k a s2k....:D

· Registered
10,424 Posts
Yes I agree the engine is very well done there for the only real way to make power in large amounts is by increasing the displacement along with more/better flow to accommodate the need the larger displacement will need.
The real problem with going with a bigger bore is the sleeves them self, the carbon fiber parented ductile iron sleeves are not really an aftermarket mass made product at this time. Most companies don’t have the tools to bore them let alone make them so until that changes I can see no real over all improvements in line for the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.