Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 civic ex automatic, (might be doing an auto-stick swap), and i reallllly would like to do a turbo kit. Now, i see these its for like 2grand.... but then my friend starts listing off this huge expensive list of aftermarket parts that i'd need in order for my car to not blow up... (in tank fuel pump, new ful rail). He doesnt have much experience wtih turbos but he does know hondas pretty well.

I guess my question is, can i get away wtih just buying a kit? All i want is to boost like 5.5-6 psi (or whatever "stock" psi is) on my automatic, just to make it a little quicker. I have 17's on it now, and that robbed some power.

Does anyone have any et's on auto civic turbos? Like i said... im not really looking for speed, but i'd like to be able to take out my mom's accord v6;)

What is the least i would need to do to start boosting.... my car is going ot be off the road for the winter... so i have a few months to build/install whatever needs to be done.)

Here's some info about my car:

99 civic ex
automatic transmission.... just had fluid flushed and runs well
56,000 miles <------driven pretty hard.

do you guys recommend a turob setup? im scared of jumpin on the bottle.... i've heard too many horror stories....

· Registered
273 Posts
i got the greddy kit on my civic...stock everything on the motor..stock fuel setup everything..still running 5.5psi and motor and tranny still good..only if you turn up the boost a little i would suggest fuel mods but for stock boost settings ( on the greddy kit) your fine..no intercooler needed at that boost level but it would be good to have one..i have one and it makes a difference..im taking my car to the track this coming weekend and i'll post up how i did..peace

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet.. nyce what was the total cost on your kit?

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay.. see... if i coudl "boost" for 1500 out of pocket i would.. but i keep getting told that i'd need to do this that and the other totalling up to around 3g's.... If i could boost safely at 5.5 psi for 1500 bucks id do it.

· Registered
582 Posts
For the greddy kit....you don't need anything else to boost 5.5 psi. If you want to up the boost then you'll at least need some fuel upgrades. A bunch of the stuff your friends listed you don't really need...for instance you do not need an aftermarket fuel rail till you are over 300+WHP. You don't need an aftermarket inline/intank fuel pump for stock boost either. I would reccomend a blow off valve but those are only around 150 bucks, but other than that you should be ready to boost with the greddy kit.

PS...i ran a 9.6 in the 1/8 mile which equals a 14.8ish in the 1/4 with a really horrible slipping clutch. I'd guess with an automatic you'll be about a mid 15.

· Registered
1,893 Posts
a long while back a very smart man that used to be on these boards answered a question of mine. it was about the greddy kit and running it on my (at the time) very stock civic ex coupe.

"Don't go turbo if you aren't willing, or aren't able to, dish out more money afterwards when your car breaks. You'll never be done with a turbocharged honda. There will always be another thing getting ready to break and leave your ass stranded on the side of the road."
- Matt3t4

now i know that it doesn't mean that you will get stranded. but it does mean that you need to take every precaution that you possibly can to make sure that your car is in top condition. you can't go lax on your maintenance, you can't let the car get way out of tune and you can't, for the love of God, just turn up the boost when you feel like going faster.

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx for the quote...

i know i cant go nuts on boost.. the only reason i wanan do anyhting is becaue of these damn 17's i have on. they slow my car down but i like the look of them... i was thinkin n20, but figured turbo would be "safer" still debating between the two.

any opinions from the "turbo people?"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.