Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on buying a buffing machine, and I wanted to see which is the best type of buffer to buy ,based on quality made,and will do the job the quickest.... dewalt?? porter cable???etc...

·
Registered
405 Posts
as long as it works it really doesn't matter. the real results are derived from technique. an old friend of mine uses a porter cable ($55), i use a cheap walmart one ($22). I've been detailing for 12 years, even ran my own side business for a while. He's been doing it for 3. Technique is everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree, technique is what makes the difference. One of my buddies uses a DeWalt DW849 but its for more experienced people, it'll take the paint off. Porter Cable makes some good ones but its still in the technique. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have a Craftman..love it.. and ive used dewalt.. hand-inhand performance.. both are great..you can get a lil cheaper with craftsman.. and a warranty i know thats good with if it breaks.... and Meguirs has a kit now.. :confused

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you're just starting out, do not get a rotary, you will more than likely mess up your paint trying to figure out technique. Instead, try to find a Porter Cable 7336 or 7424 (basically the same unit). It's a Dual-Action, and it works very well. You don't have to worry about messing up your paint with it. Get a decent set of foam pads and a couple of products you a comfortable using.

If you do end up buying a rotary, go to a junk yard and get a couple of scrap body panels to work on before you tackle your car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah if ur new a rotary might be a little much if your new. Im new also and am getting PC 7424 and a intro kit from autogeekonline.net. Rotary's can burn paint if not used properly, but can get the job done fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey scriptone,

If you are just starting out an orbital buffer would be the ideal place to start. The PC 7424 will not burn the paint no matter how hard you push on it :D. The machine is quick, easy, and does a wonderful job at taking out scratches.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
my reviews on rotary polishers

I have used all kinds in my years, but if u can't try b4 u buy it really has alot to do with personal preference for hand position and power on demand with rotary polishers. Milwaukee are heavy and slow but tough and well made but the rear handle position tires my right wrist to fast. Dewalt polishers are the best all around, light, powerful starts and u can tax the motor to death and it asks for more. Last but not least my favorite the Makita what is the most like the Craftsman and Porter Cable machines slow to start but light and comfortable and a wrap around front handle for melting scratches over 1000 grit. But if your desperate Harbor Freight sells a 30$ rotary from Chicago Power if u just need to do a few cars this machine is practically disposable. The oscillator style polishers are idiot proof, no burning paint or trim, few if any swirls. A superior glaze and your off to the races.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If you're just starting out, do not get a rotary, you will more than likely mess up your paint trying to figure out technique. Instead, try to find a Porter Cable 7336 or 7424 (basically the same unit). It's a Dual-Action, and it works very well. You don't have to worry about messing up your paint with it. Get a decent set of foam pads and a couple of products you a comfortable using.

If you do end up buying a rotary, go to a junk yard and get a couple of scrap body panels to work on before you tackle your car.
:werd:

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
ive seen people chew through clear, and paint using every possilbe kind of buffer, IMO if you dont know how to use it then DO NOT BUY ONE, especially because diffrent auto manufacturers use diffrent clear's and diffrent paints... a GM is the easiest one to fuck up, dont worry about dodge, cause it will peel by itself, but others its just trial and error and lots of practice

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
holy old thread batman!!

i prefer detailing by hand personally and to take my time, but if you are tight on time then i would get a less powerful one that is less likely to do damage on clear coat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I personally use the Makita 9227c, Metabo 12-175 and the Porter Cable for finishing and polishing glass.

If you're starting out and don't really want to use rotary you could go with PC or a FLEX.

But like everyone says with rotary it's about technique rather than the buffer. Companies like simoniz and craftmans I am sure acquire their buffers from the same manufacture but just rebranded. So go with the one that's on sale or cheaper if you want rotary.

Finally if you do go with rotary make sure you get a really good backing plate.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts