Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What engine is best suited for the 6th gen. body?

I was planning on a H22 swap, but really need to consider what is best for my car. I don't want to be paying out the a$$ to get the motor mounted and to work.

How about a B18? I also plan to turbo it as well.

As far as the body / chasis goes, all the 6th gen. Civics are the same right?

I also will have to convert from an auto - manual

· Registered
806 Posts
a B18c is a pretty easy install froom what i've read about other people. and that motor has a lot of potential whether you turbo it or whatever you decide. if you're on a budget, i'd suggest a b18b and turboing it, then later on, when you have cash, replacing the long block with a fully built b18c.

· Registered
624 Posts
LX98Civic said:

I was planning on a H22 swap, but really need to consider what is best for my car. I don't want to be paying out the a$$ to get the motor mounted and to work.

Man, you're starting to sound just like me... First, CAI, next, engine swap to dump that damn auto transmission :p

Anyhow, from what I've heard, b16 engines (out of Civic Si) are best for turboing, and cost significantly less than a b18c. You'd only be sacrificing something like 10 HP (Si is 160HP, versus a teg b18, which is 170HP I believe.) Either way, both engines are DOHC VTEC, and are both very nice, so you can't go wrong :D

I better keep saving up, myself... I don't think I'm gonna buy any more mods made for this engine. It's bad enough that I'd have to buy a NEW CAI once I eventually swap, I'd hate to have to replace even more stuff :(

· Registered
4,659 Posts
i would say the most popular engine swap for civics both 5th and 6th gen are a b16 swap, cost efficient and pretty much, the next step up, you know?

or you could skip that step and take a leap toward a b18 or b20 ;) that's what i'd do if i had the money for a swap :D
ghost

· Registered
128 Posts
if you're thinking about swapping a new motor in.... do your best to go b18. you said that you're planning to turbo it later, and turbo loves all the displacement it can get. Plus in n/a form a b18 motor makes more torque. ideally, go b18c. if you're short on money, then i would go b18b instead if the b16. IMO tell us how it goes:)

· Registered
3,020 Posts
The LS/VTEC is one of the best platforms to build upon[IMO]. Or if you have the extra money a CRVTEC.
But, if you dont really want to mess with swapping heads and shit just go with a B18C5{Integra Type R} This engine is almost PERFECT for N/A setups.
Then again if you plan on going the FI route the B18B{Integra LS} would be a better choice or even the B16A2(A3){Civic Si and Del Sol}.

· Registered
542 Posts
What about the rod/stroke ratio between the B16 vs the B18Cx? I think the ideal ratio is 1.75, and dosent the B16 have a 1.74? Just wondering if the ratio should affect my thoughts on considering the B16. Thanks.

· Registered
29 Posts
there's actually a lot of ways u can go. for instance, it's true u can go with a b16 which is cheaper but make sure it's b16a2. remember you're an obd2 car and so it would be easier to put in an obd2 motor (the si motor). You can go with the jdm b16a but this motor is obd1 so you will need a jumper harness to convert your wireing harness to an obd1. this was the first route i went. there's also the crvtec and the lsvtec. i dunno much about the crvtec and ls/vtec but i've heard that they're very unrealiable. they give a lot of power but hard to maintain. so i stuck with the integra type r motor. reason i went that route is because the integra type r is an obd2 motor so the wiring harness plugs rite into the ecu. no need for that jumper. you can also go gsr or even the poorman's vtec (which is a b16 head with a gsr block with integra type r pistons.) it's just a lot on your preferance. hopw i helped and good luck

· Registered
218 Posts
LX98Civic said:

see.. im in a similar situation... ive got a 99 auto ex, i want to convert it to stick... ive heard anywhere from 700-3000 dollars just fro the conversion.... does anyone know what the real cost of that swap might be....if i had a stick in it i would just turbo it... other wise id be looking to do an engine swap... if i could get it changed to stick for 1250 bucks id be happy... but not too many people around here (albany, ny) like to do imports....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.