Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally am a proud owner of Rota Subzero wheels. They're not even on my car yet and I found a flaw in one of them. It's sort of a bump/splotch in the gunmetal finish of one of the spokes. I expect it to become raw and maybe rust one day.

The Rota is aluminum (right?) Can it rust? Will it rust? Is there any thing I should put on that spot to protect it? I prefer something that won't show up, obviously.

I had a hard time tracking this wheel down. I'm not gonna return it for another one. I could easily just get another wheel with the same issue.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Aluminum CAN rust, but it is very resistant to it. I'd be surprised if your wheel got any rust... people curb their wheels all the time. But to protect it I would just use touch-up paint and then maybe a little wax over that. I've been using touch-up on my bronze Rotas and they look fine from just a couple feet away, plus no corrosion - don't think they would have without the paint though.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
I'd also suggest the next time you purchase tires that you choose one with a rim protector. ;) Kinda a common sense idea, but one that might be easily overlooked.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
I'd also suggest the next time you purchase tires that you choose one with a rim protector. ;) Kinda a common sense idea, but one that might be easily overlooked.
Or get some curb-feelers. You have to have iron in the compound for rust to form. If it is pure aluminum, then it cannot rust. If there is steel in it, then it will rust since steel has a lot of iron in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.