Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was having slight issues with my idle, slightly high at times (around 1000rpm) so during a coolant flush I cleaned my IACV using this thread:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f55/troubleshooting-idle-problems-259965/

And now its worse! From a cold start its around 1800rpm no hunting, then when it start warming up and fully warmed up its around 1200-1500 rpm and hunts ALOT!! Pretty much guaranteed to hunt when I come to a stop!

The car is a JDM DC2-R so it has the B18C Type R engine, here's a pic of the IACV after I cleaned it and I also replaced the gasket (old gasket in pic):

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I left it to dry for 2 days indoors, and I also cleaned the holes in the inlet manifold while the IACV was off by spraying some carb cleaner on a rag and poking it into the holes.

Thanks in advance,
Hitmo

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
if u havent fixed it yet,
did u tighten it back up right?
seal it with honda bond ?
check ur tps?
re set ecu?

check all vacuum lines JUST IN CASE...u never know..

if u DID fix it, how and what was the issue

·
Registered
937 Posts
Air in the coolant lines will cause idle surging too. About 90% of the time at work (Honda Dealership) when a car comes in "idle hunting" the coolant is low or has air in the lines.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just bled the system again took 30 mins for the fan to kick in due to the cold weather! Reset the ECU and still the same. I got a few air bubbles, not alot but its still hunting every time I stop :(

·
Registered
937 Posts
That's a possibility, I just ran the engine with the cap off until the fan kicked in twice, is that right?
Yes, thats correct.

Reset the ECU and still the same.
What ECU do you have?

When I swapped a K20A into my 94 Civic Coupe a few years back it was doing the same thing (w/K-Pro). I just drove it around for a day or two and the problem just disappeared. Not saying the same thing will happen for you as the ECU adapts to correct the idle over time. A vacuum leak could also be the cause.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its the stock one P73 I think? I've checked all the hoses and can't see any place where there could be an air leak, is there anyway to check? Maybe cover the intake pipe with my hand and see if the engine cuts out?

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
spray carb cleaner around seals...if u get a surge..there ya go..

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
if there is a vacuum leak other than a line...like when u put two pieces together I.E iacv....if its not bolted as tight as it should be, like around intake manifolds or whatever...iacv...spray some carb cleaner around those areas...so then if there IS a leak, it will suck up some cleaner, causing a surge in idle.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
ya, carb cleaner is fine....

think, its just a LEAK, it wont inhale a whole can of cleaner, it will dissipate n e way.

the surge is from teh leak gettin "plugged" as it sucks the carb fluid. so really the idle will go down, assuming its idling high.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried to check for a air leak today with carb cleaner, it didn't surge. So took the IACV off again cleaned it with carb cleaner once and quite alot of dirt came out, I couldn't carry on as I had to go out so I just put it back on and the idle is ALOT better! Still hunts a little but only between 1500-1550/1600. So when I get a chance I'll give it a proper clean and hopefully that will sort it.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
well, thats cool. sometimes we do piss poor jobs and need to go back and re do it...

i for one, did a piss poor job of bolting my IM and had a MASSIVE leak, that i couildnt find until i sprayed it with carb cleaner..all the bolts underneath were loose....*facepalm*

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha yeah live and learn I guess! I also cleaned the holes in the IM with a bit of tissue soaked in carb cleaner, which came out black! maybe that did it? I'm not sure I just hope once I've cleaned both properly it will be fixed!

Does anyone know the tq setting for the bolts that hold the IACV to IM?

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
yea.torque till they DNT break.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
did you do this after cleaning?

...adjust it with the idle screw, but don't just turn the screw blindly! The correct way to do it is by letting your car warm up (wait until the fan comes on) then, while the engine is running, disconnect the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) electrical plug behind the intake manifold, then adjust the idle screw to 800rpm. After doing that turn your car off, reconnect the IACV plug, then disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the ECU because you will have a CEL, doing this will get rid of that CEL. Recconect the battery and your Idle should be at its normal range (usually around 650rpm)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.