Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon i reset the ECU (followed all the necessary procedure), wash and waxed my car and later started the car and the idle went up to 2k, i stopped the engine started again and same, rev it up and drops back to 2k, stopped it and started again and same, only now it fluctuates from 2k to 1.5k and keeps on doing that... what happened??

·
Registered
204 Posts
Readjusting idle position in my 94 isn't as simple as just turning the idle screw. But I am not sure about his ride.

My guess would be to reset ECU too. How did you reset it the first time?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a similar problem with my car. It'll idle from 1,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm back and forth constantly, even if I am drivin in 3rd or 4rd and then put neutral, and it happens when the car is stopped as well. Could this be a ECU problem? How do I know I have the right ECU for my swap? or could these be an engine problem?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can re-reset it easily. Unplug the negative battery cable as well as the back up fuse from your ECU for 15 minutes, plug them back in, start the car and let it run for 10 minutes WITHOUT touching the gas pedal, turn the car off, turn it back on, then turn it off. Should be all and well, as long as whatever you installed (if applicable) is properly done so.

·
Registered
204 Posts
clique said:
I'm pretty sure you can re-reset it easily. Unplug the negative battery cable as well as the back up fuse from your ECU for 15 minutes, plug them back in, start the car and let it run for 10 minutes WITHOUT touching the gas pedal, turn the car off, turn it back on, then turn it off. Should be all and well, as long as whatever you installed (if applicable) is properly done so.
What does the un-plugging of the neg. battery cable do? My helm's just says pull the backup fuse for 10 secs. Replace and it is reset.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I just remembered the instructions from a DIY FAQ page out there from a while back; I'm assuming the negative battery cable is disconnected "just to be safe." Although if your helm's manual says otherwise, that's pretty much a surefire sign that there's no real need to disconnect it. I need to get me one of those :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well, you can unplug the neg. cable or pull the fuse I believe. But I don't think you need to do both.

Anymore, I only pull the fuse to reset though.:)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Civic_Grl_Rcr said:
Well, you can unplug the neg. cable or pull the fuse I believe. But I don't think you need to do both.

Anymore, I only pull the fuse to reset though.:)
I'm glad you cleared that up, actually. I'm installing my CAI as soon as it gets here myself, so I'll need to know how to reset the ECU so I don't have to slug around town for a few days, waiting for the CAI to "kick in." Thanks :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think, this problem is called a MAP sensor going bad.. if i remember correctly, a buddy of mine had this problem, replaced the map sensor, and viola, not more eratic idleing...

·
Registered
83 Posts
yeah its normal... nothing to worry about

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well .. .i reset it few times already and in between driven it around few times,checked all the vacuum hoses,throttle cable, etc etc.. .. the funny part is that nite after i thought everything failed, it just jumps back to normal on my way to fetch my girlfriend, and it never happen again since then , which is why i am like... 80% sure it's a ECU fault, which is why it happen only after i reset the ECU that afternoon... so i dont dare to reset the ECU again ....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.