Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me why my car idles up and down FAST?

See 1 week ago my car would idle up and down but when the car got to normal operating temp it would idle normal. Now I just put a 2lb crank pulley and 7lb flywheel in my car and I messed up the ignition timing up and fuel pressure and it would idle up and down even quicker now and it wont go away, so I fixed the fuel pressure and ignition timing and it still does it.
Now when I try to drive slow at low low idle like pretty much creeping it will jerk when I barley even touch the gas pedal, like if it has crazy throttle response and now it never did this before it idles like this. What is weird is I noticed that my intake now sounds like it is constantly sucking in ALOT of air than normal like I have the throttle a tad bit down.
One more thing that I notice is that when driving and I come to a stop the light and when I come to the complete stop and take a load off the car, it will idle up and down real hard just once from like 1,200 to 3,200 and then just starts to idle fast from 1,000 to 2,800. So if any of you have any ideas why it might be doing this then pleas help me because I have sat for ever trying to figure this one out haha.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
You might have vaccuum leak?? People would try to spray carb cleaner on various components while the engine is running. When you spray a component (hoses, TB gasket, IM gasket, etc.) and you notice a difference in idle, then thats were the leak is.

WAt bout FITV?? fast idle valve (my best shot would be this)

or

cold idle valve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my car and it was the Throttle Position Sensor. These can be checked by using a voltmeter to check resistance across the pins on the sensor using the tech manual specs. Just disconnect the wiring connector to the sensor and check the pins on the sensor itself.

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I tried carb cleaner already and nothing happened also I have checked tps and it was fine but now I have not yet checked the Fast Idle. Now my question is how do you actually check the fast idle?

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fixed the problem finally and it was the fast idle valve, the back of it where the spring goes into the white plastic thing with threads well it unscrewed itself and I screwed it back in and now it idles NICE and normal again

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
IMOTEPHT said:
I fixed the problem finally and it was the fast idle valve, the back of it where the spring goes into the white plastic thing with threads well it unscrewed itself and I screwed it back in and now it idles NICE and normal again
that is good to hear. Keep ur car healthy. i'm glad u got it work out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts