Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a problem with my 88 hatch dx. i just recently changed the guage cluster to a 89 sedan cluster with a tach. had to change all the wiring in the back of the cluster. But now, when I'm stoped at a light or somthing, my car will idle around 300 to 500 rpm. doesn't kick off or anything, not yet at least. But it is driving normally, Also my check engine light comes on after about 5 mins of driving. But i hear nothing wrong and I check the engine and don't see anything wrong. The car was perfectly fine before the swap.

ok and a question, I have a d15a? crap I know, but I was woundering if I can just swap out the head and put a 1.5 vtech, or a 1.6 vtech head on it??? thanks very much for your help.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
check the cluster seems liek u hooked something up wrong, even though the cluster doesnt send out any input to the engine just the ecu it basically shows what the engine is doing and since it seems liek u hooked it up wrong b/c no car idels that low nor can it 300??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how would I check for the engine code than?? and yes it is a possiability that I hooked it up wrong, I can't find a good wiring diagram to help me out. helms has the wrong colors for wirers.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
look at the ecu and see ho wmany lights are blinking or how fast its blinking.

·
Registered
118 Posts
pull down the carpet on the passengers side, on the floor where your feet would be. When the light flashes long that is 10, short lights are 1. add them up. check to see what code it is. if it is throwing more than one code it will cycle through all of them before it starts over.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK thank you so much for your help so far. I found the ecu and got the code. It's a 16 and a 17. In the helms manual 16 is the fuel injectors, 17 is the vehicle speed sensor. For 17 it says to take it to a honda dealership. Well i don't have to money to do that. I'm hoping you guys can tell me what you think and posiable how to fix both problems. And how major are they. Will they damage my car. I can kind of understand how the fuel injectors are decreasing my idle speed. Now it drops to 500 and if it sits there for a little while, kind of like when the car warms up, it drops to between the first marker and the 500 marker. Please help me, I need the least expensive way to fix these. Thanks so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.