Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've got a 95 GSR. I'm sitting at a light in neutral and all of a sudden my idle just starts jumping. It goes from 500 to 900 rpm and keeps jumping. Me and my roommate figured out it has to do with the a/c, when I turn the a/c off the problem stops. We popped the hood while the idling problem was happening and the a/c compresser just keeps turning on and off and you can see that it slows then speeds up the pulleys. What's my problem and how can I fix it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
InitialDrag said:
ac problem needs recharged, i say change ur pcv valve too, and check ur vaccum
the idling problem wouldnt have anything to do with the a/c. if it needed to be charged, then it just wouldnt blow as cold of air. it wouldnt make the car idle up and down. if youre thinking there isnt enough refrigerant in the system to lubricate the components and is actually slowing the engine down, thats a misconception too. if that were the case, he would have no a/c at all because the low pressure sensor wouldnt allow the compressor to cycle.

the cycling compressor clutch is perfectly normal. the compressor is never engaged at all times when the a/c is on. it always cycles on and off.

as for pcv valve, if it was soooooo bad to do something like cause an idle problem, your dipstick would have shotten out of the hole, and there would be oil leaking from every place on the block because of the built up pressure from having such a clogged pcv valve. so you can rule that out too.

there are ALOT of problems that come up like this ALL the time. looks like youre new, but im not going to tell you to search because then i have to provide a link to the topic youre looking for, and i dont feel like searching for one right now. but i can tell you it is vacuum related. check all the vacuum lines to make sure theyre not cracked or disconnected. take a squirt bottle and fill it with water. spray each vacuum line with it, and spray along every seam on the manifold. what will this do? if you spray soemthing and you hear a change in rpm, then that means that the engine sucked up the water you sprayed on there. thats not good. however, it kind of IS a good thing because that is where your problem lies. whatever you spray and the rpms change, thats what needs to be fixed. its amost always nothign major like a cracked plenum or something like that. its usually a bad gasket or vacuum line. if thats not the problem, id suspect the idle air controller, or the fast idle thermo valve. does it only do it when its warm, or does it only do it when the engine is cold, or does it do it no matter what the engine temp? any check engine light?

i hope some of that info helped, post back here and let us know what you came up with.

·
Registered
331 Posts
johnlude85 said:
the idling problem wouldnt have anything to do with the a/c. if it needed to be charged, then it just wouldnt blow as cold of air. it wouldnt make the car idle up and down. if youre thinking there isnt enough refrigerant in the system to lubricate the components and is actually slowing the engine down, thats a misconception too. if that were the case, he would have no a/c at all because the low pressure sensor wouldnt allow the compressor to cycle.

the cycling compressor clutch is perfectly normal. the compressor is never engaged at all times when the a/c is on. it always cycles on and off.

as for pcv valve, if it was soooooo bad to do something like cause an idle problem, your dipstick would have shotten out of the hole, and there would be oil leaking from every place on the block because of the built up pressure from having such a clogged pcv valve. so you can rule that out too.

there are ALOT of problems that come up like this ALL the time. looks like youre new, but im not going to tell you to search because then i have to provide a link to the topic youre looking for, and i dont feel like searching for one right now. but i can tell you it is vacuum related. check all the vacuum lines to make sure theyre not cracked or disconnected. take a squirt bottle and fill it with water. spray each vacuum line with it, and spray along every seam on the manifold. what will this do? if you spray soemthing and you hear a change in rpm, then that means that the engine sucked up the water you sprayed on there. thats not good. however, it kind of IS a good thing because that is where your problem lies. whatever you spray and the rpms change, thats what needs to be fixed. its amost always nothign major like a cracked plenum or something like that. its usually a bad gasket or vacuum line. if thats not the problem, id suspect the idle air controller, or the fast idle thermo valve. does it only do it when its warm, or does it only do it when the engine is cold, or does it do it no matter what the engine temp? any check engine light?

i hope some of that info helped, post back here and let us know what you came up with.
I have the same problem with my car. Happens all the time and sometimes it kills on me. any ideas. You seem to know this problem well. thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.