Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
It can be MANY things. I'm trying to trouble shoot the same right now on my mini-me.
Check/ replace your spark plugs, fuel filter, spark plug wires, clean out your throttle body for starters.
Try resetting your ecu as well (pull the hazard fuse)
Another problem area may be worn motor mounts.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
what kind of idle problem? be more specific

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CRXtc, i don't know much about the rpm business but it's idling at 2500 i think better yet it's between the 2 and 3, and when i'm not in gear it shoots straight to 4. I was gonna replace the main rely is that a good ideal???

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
the main relay is not your problem.....your problem sounds more like a vacume leak then anything else..........check all the hoses on the IM

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CRXtc, this all happen cause about 2 nights ago, the battery light came on than I took the car to the shop, so they could tell me what was wrong. my alternator wasn't charging, replace that, but it wasn't easy I have an 88 si, that i just brought about 6 months ago, and keep in mind i know nothing about honda's this is my first, but anyways the dude that had the car before switch the manifold, so the alternator couldn't come out like regular, but back to the story. I replace the alternator, next thing the starter goes out, replace that than connect everything back start the car, and it's idling at 4000 rpms, i play with the idle screw nothing. please help me man... my corolla is in the rebuilding stage, and i'm doing it myself, and the REX is all i have going good look out for me please......

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
like i said....check all the vacume lines on the IM....the alternator wouldnt cause a high idle

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
have you checked your throttle cable for it being too tight? if not that, try adjusting the screw on your throttle body...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
he tried the screw already....as for the cable...that would cause a fluctuation more then anything else (so would a vacume leak), but if you have ever disconnected one of the lines from the back of the IM you will see how high the car will idle on its own...........

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
guys I think you my have solved the problem it could be the throttle cable, I had to move it a couple of times. But I'm not gonna be able to see if you guys are right until my stupid wife comes back with the car.. thanks a million.. I'm playing on selling it if you live in the state of FLa let me know I'm gonna ask for 3500.

1988 Honda Crx SI
stock engine
RS body kit/ w wing
flowmaster exhaust
Acura Interga 15x6 rims
air intake
engine strut bar

pictures will be up a.s.a.p

reason for selling got a family now not enough time to do what I want to it...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guys I'm pretty sure it's the throttle cable, but question how do I adjust it??? do I untighten it or not??

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
untighten then move the nut

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CRXtxc you the man son you ever in a tight problem use my email i'll always have that xtra hands. thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CRXtc, you are right my man, it was the throttle cable, did what you told me, loosed the nut and b.i.n.g.o. Now it's idling perfect, this all started cause of the guy who had the car before me replace the manifold.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1QWKCRX, I'm gonna try to make it out there I'm only about 4 hours away from there, but I'm also trying to get that day off so we'll see

1 - 18 of 18 Posts