Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i were to race...would i bring it up to 8000rpm because that is past redline and i have an auto matic 01 prelude. just wondering because that seems pretty far i was thinking 7000-7500 but i heard people bringing it up to 8000.

· Registered
445 Posts
automatic lude don't really redline when you floor it. it stays like 500 rpm from redline correct. your don't want to take your car pass its specify redline on stock internals its bad for the pistons and rod. redlining higher doesn't neccesarily mean more power. in some case not all.

· Registered
1,018 Posts
don't ludes rpm power cut off at above 7500 rpms though???

· Registered
4,212 Posts
At 6,800rpms, that point is where the horsepower starts to fall down, so at 8,000 rpms the hp will be low, but then when the tranny is shifted, you are much more further into the power band, getting more pulling power right away. But Automatics, they dont allow you to go past redline, it will shift itself up. But im not sure, i have never driven auto prelude.

· Registered
607 Posts
Sport Shift ludes can go all the way up to 8000 Rpm. They don't autoshift when you get to redline like some other manumatics do.

H22 Bastard said:
At 6,800rpms, that point is where the horsepower starts to fall down, so at 8,000 rpms the hp will be low, but then when the tranny is shifted, you are much more further into the power band, getting more pulling power right away. But Automatics, they dont allow you to go past redline, it will shift itself up. But im not sure, i have never driven auto prelude.

· Registered
1,018 Posts
H22 Bastard said:
At 6,800rpms, that point is where the horsepower starts to fall down, so at 8,000 rpms the hp will be low, but then when the tranny is shifted, you are much more further into the power band, getting more pulling power right away.

I do notice this when I launch at a light sometimes. It seems to benefit if you rev while in neutral then let it go and go high enough so that when you shift you are carrying some rpm instead of losing it.

· Registered
188 Posts
Shift at 8000...you'll have no problems..as i've already said...

My cars tuned as so therefore its better for me to shift at 8000...on first gear becasue i want to land in vtec in second gear...its wear i start to make the power

· Registered
25 Posts
I normally shift at around 7800... and it falls right in the powerband after shifting, and the fuel won't be cut till 8200 or so...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.