Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....ok here i go, i found a couple mods i would like to get started with when i get an ITR, 1GrayTeg said somewhere, i think it was the rules? "dont post up any part of a car unless you tell somthing about it" oh well i dont remember the exact words but i put a little somthing about the product that you might or might not fing knoledgable (sp?)

these mods are what i would like to start off with, listed below are the order of which i want to get and the price (or close to it) and as i said above there is a little somthing under the product so i wont be breaking any rules (i hope)

AEM Cold Air Induction System (red) $234.00
AEM now offers their Cold Air Induction System for Honda's & Acura's. These systems utilize aluminum piping from the throttle body and drops their cone filter with velocity stack down in the fender/bumper of the vehicle. This separates the filter from the hot engine compartment. The result is your intake system drawing cold air away from the hot air present in the engine compartment. Horsepower gains can be seen by as much as 15 HP's! This is accomplished by gaining 1 HP for each 10°F reduced.
AEM Pully Kit $142.00
AEM Tru-Power pulley increase horsepower by decreasing the parasitic effects that factory accessory pulleys have on a vehicle's engine. The pulley's lightweight 6061-T-6 billet aluminum construction reduces rotating weight and increase efficiency. All pulleys have a tooth profile that is guaranteed to match Original Equipment (O.E.) specifications, eliminating the chances of premature belt wear. Each Tru-Power pulley kit includes comprehensive instructions, performance belts and AEM decals. Available in blue, red and silver with laser-etched graphics for show-quality looks.
Comptech Sport Tuned Cat-Back Exhaust $660.00
Comptech Sport Tuned Exhaust Systems are engineered for maximum performance, factory quality fit, and a distinctive exhaust note. Each system features large diameter, mandrel bent T304 stainless tubing and a free flow T304 stainless muffler and polished stainless tip. All systems are designed to mount to factory mounting points and use factory mounting hardware. The exhaust note is throaty without being "buzzy" or obnoxious, just the sound of power! All street systems meet California noise requirements. The polished 3.5" stainless tip (4" on NSX) has an angle cut with a rolled lip and features a laser etched Comptech Logo. Outstanding quality, appearance and improvements in power and torque make Comptech Exhaust Systems a perfect choice for your vehicle.
Comptech TIG Welded Header $503.00
Comptech feels that there are two different theories for header design: either go for maximum peak horsepower at the expense of the mid-range power, or go for the best gains throughout the whole RPM range. Maximum peak power works best for a race car that is geared to always stay in the power band. But for everyday street use, big gains in the mid-range are far more useable. After all, you need to get thru the mid-range in order to get to the top end, don't you. That's why Comptech does extensive development to maximize the power gains throughout the whole RPM range with only a small sacrifice to the top end compared to race type headers. The result is a car that is quicker and much more fun to drive and you can enjoy the power gains that much more often.
All Comptech headers feature flanges that are 3/8" thick and CNC machined to ensure a leak free seal, primaries that step up in size to boost mid-range power, mandrel bent tubing for a smooth and uniform bend that not only looks good but also creates better airflow, performance, and durability, and O-rings at the connection to ensure a tight and leak free fitting.
Flex-a-lite Electric Fan $347.00
Extremely low profile allows this fan series to fit where others won't. Increases horsepower by replacing the stock belt fan. As a pusher fan, it supplies additional cooling when required. As a primary electric fan, increases hp, extends water pump life and increases gas mileage. Allows greater control of fan operation i.e., long idles, etc. Model 225 features Custom Mounting Brackets specially made to fit the Acura Integra. There are no holes to drill; units bolt directly to radiator at O.E. points. Plug & Play Electrical Connectors match original equipment, plug directly into existing connectors. Glass Reinforced Nylon Shroud provides high heat resistance. Rubber End Seals minimize vibration. Heat Shields protect fan motors, while making a styling statement. Very low profile.

Fluidyne 38mm Radiator $347.00
Looking good is as important as going fast. Replacing your stock radiator with FLUIDYNE's highly polished, all-aluminum radiator will enhance any engine compartment and score points with the judges or...whoever. Whether your look is chromed, anodized or color-matched, FLUIDYNE's radiators will make the view under the hood "Racey and High-Tech." Combining style with performance, FLUIDYNE's radiator with its polished tanks and 100% NOCOLOK brazed (no epoxy) core provides optimum cooling. The aluminum tanks are welded in place rather than crimped plastic tanks and can withstand high boost pressures from your turbocharger. Our 38mm high performance tubes increase cooling capacity to provide you the extra cooling needed to run advanced timing. Higher boost pressures and advanced timing let you squeeze our a few more horses that will put you in front.

please if you have any comments about these products like what is a better exhaust, header ect.. tell me what it is and where i can find it. im only 15 but im going to seriously be getting into products and knowing all about what they do.

thanks for any input.

-Kid86

· Registered
1,319 Posts
Aaaah, I remember those days... back when I was 17, and my parents promised me that if I got a college scholarship, they'd give me the Accord (since then they'd get to keep the money they'd saved for my education). Sure enough, I got a Regents scholarship to UC Irvine, so they gave me the Accord (6 years old at the time).

I made the most elaborate shopping list... headers. Intake. Exhaust. Wheels. Suspension. PIAA Foglights. You name it. ;)

It turns out, though, that modding one's car is a steady, slow, ongoing process. It's taken me three years of spare cash and time to bring my stock 5th gen to what you see below in my sig. ;) It's a long road (especially for college or highschool students like yourself with no real income) to mod your car. It'll be worth it though. Good luck :)

P.S. - Just watch out for insurance. Sub-25-year olds + Integras Type-R = you --->
<--- insurance company

· Registered
226 Posts
think the mods you listed are good for starters, i would not go with the radiator or fan, the itr fan and radiator will do just fine... i believe these to be a waste o money unless you pushing some major hp and need the cooling increase. the money you save could be used towards turbo or supercharger if you decide to go this route...other than that i think all the internals on the itr are great, interior is great...maybe go jdm conversion!?

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JDM Front end conv. i was thinking of getting that latter on in the years but then i found out how much it was going to cost me, but then i thought again i would be the only one in Palm Springs to have it. i dont know :D

about Suspension i think ITR Suspension is bad ass as it is so that saves me a bundle lol.

ok im going to ask a question here dont get mad i know its against the rules and all but i didnt make a whole new fourm asking this.

if i get an ITR would i be able to whoop on my cuzins Prelude Type SH? or would it be about the same...

-Kid86

oh and about insurance its not going to be a pain in the ass lol my mom said if i just graduate she'll pay the insurance untill i got my car fully paid off then i would have to take over :D

· Registered
625 Posts
Kid86 said:
JDM Front end conv. i was thinking of getting that latter on in the years but then i found out how much it was going to cost me, but then i thought again i would be the only one in Palm Springs to have it. i dont know :D

about Suspension i think ITR Suspension is bad ass as it is so that saves me a bundle lol.

ok im going to ask a question here dont get mad i know its against the rules and all but i didnt make a whole new fourm asking this.

if i get an ITR would i be able to whoop on my cuzins Prelude Type SH? or would it be about the same...

-Kid86

oh and about insurance its not going to be a pain in the ass lol my mom said if i just graduate she'll pay the insurance untill i got my car fully paid off then i would have to take over :D

the parts you listed have outrageous prices, i hope those are just examples and you're not really going to pay that much. i suggest that before you buy the radiator and fan, invest in a high flowing cat to complete the i/h/e setup.

JDM Conversion would be too sexy... and i must say the type-r suspension is good when it comes to handling, but soon enough you'd want to get rid of that ugly wheel gap and maybe upgrade to newer shocks and springs or shocks/coil sleeves or better yet, just purchase Tein Type-HA coilovers like me for $930, and if you do get the ITR and race your cousin's prelude SH, youll beat him, no questions asked....

0ne.nightrider-gsR

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh sweet. thanks guys

NightRider, if you can please help me out and find cheaper prices cause those are the lowest i could find thanks. (what i mean by finding cheaper prices is like... where www.?????.com) BTW these prices are from OPTAUTO
thanks

also how much heavier is the SH compaired to the ITR, or is there some other reason why the R would whoop the SH?

· Registered
637 Posts
I wasn't too impressed with the AEM CAI, in my opinion it made more noise then anything and I put back on my stock air box. I am going to try out the Ice box next and see how that goes.

· Registered
201 Posts
yes a typer will smoke a sh by atleast 2 or3 car lengths.

get all your basic bolt ons first.

aem intake
dc sport header
pullies and gears
and the exhaust.

the exhaust doesn't give the type r that much more power over stock. my brother only got like 2 hp.

this setup should give you around 175 hp to the wheels. then get a set of jun type 3 cams or toda b cams. even then your radiator and fans should still work fine.

· Banned
2,834 Posts
You want advice?

Read and digest the advice about modding at the top of this forum.

If you are Really serious?

Then take your totally STOCK ITR to a local autocross and drive the snot out of it. Make sure to tell them you are a novice and take as many in car instructed runs as possible...

It's nice to mod but, Mods don't make you or the car any faster.

Actually learning how to drive the car, what it's limits are and how to make it handle are much more rewarding than shelling out the type of Money that you will surely spend.

Look at it this way: Do you want to be the guy with the R at the local Gas-N-Go that says he is fast and trys to impress every other guy with his nice shiny ITR?

Or do you want to be the guy who knows HOW to drive and is a more Confident "NOT COCKY" person behind the wheel, And drives Past those guys because he knows better?

Ask me or anyone else here about mods but, they don't make the driver.

The Driver is what makes you faster and win, the car is just along for the ride.

Try Autocross or a Performance driving shool and or a HPDE.

Also, it's great that you may get this car and we all were once excited as you, so I don't want you to feel like I am bursting your bubble but, ALL of the mods you listed have been covered here before, either in the Integra or Type-R forums. Please Search for them.

You want stuff for tuner style or for serious performance?

Thread about Good I/H&E

Common sense advice about modding

Integra FAQ's and information about modding

You want to mod this car? It is silly to do so much since it is so potent stock but, if you do be forwarned that it is Expensive and addictive. Just don't end up doing it for the wrong reasons or with the wrong stuff and you have to go back and switch or swap something out again.

Do it right the first time.

Heres some links on the car itself:

http://integra.vtec.net/carboy.html

http://autopedia.com/Acura/97_TypeRPress.html

Your enthusiasim is noted. Good luck, You have a few years to go and who knows, you may be more interested in a WRX/STI or Lancer/EVO "the real deal" or 350Z by then.... Hell, by the time you are able to drive, we may have the DC5R here.

A.

· Banned
2,834 Posts
Phoenix20 said:
I wasn't too impressed with the AEM CAI, in my opinion it made more noise then anything and I put back on my stock air box. I am going to try out the Ice box next and see how that goes.
Words of wisdom.

I share the same opinion...

but, you knew that already.

A.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
after reading the article (the 4th link from your first post) i learned another valuable lesson :D the ITR is a Perfectly Balanced engine, to change any parts may decrease your proformance. A stock ITR can withstand RPMs higher than most other sports cars because it was highly tuned by the best in japan and to top it all off they did it all by hand. another good lesson from 1greyteg :D lol

"I would prefer that people don't try to further tune the Type R. No, actually, they shouldn't try. Each upgraded part works in perfect harmony, and fiddling with the factory setting will only lead to a decrease in performance." --Mr. Suga
mabie i'll use this for my sig, i've learned so much just browsing this board :D this is cool.

-Kid86

· Registered
348 Posts
Hey Kid86 listen to the wise old mod he knows really well. Learn to drive the car first then go from there.

And where are you located, anyway just take a day and watch some autoX or roadracing (closed track). and feel the excitement then do your thing!:eek:

· Registered
214 Posts
I agree with 1Greyteg, before adding any mod to it I really think you need practice, practice, practice. Not that I'm doubting your driving skills, it's just most people around your age usually gets into a car accident or a small ding, and having a car like a TYPE-R and the mentality of street racing will increase the possibility of an accident exponentially. Also, maybe try to establish a budget plan for yourself. I don't know about you but bolt on's are expensive and I remember scrubbing it for months on end to save up cash to buys stuff for my car. :D

· Registered
2,151 Posts
U lucky bastard. i wish i could have gotten an itr for my first car. Id have to agree with 1greyteg and say to learn to drive the car before u mod it. the car is already fast as shit, get used to the power first. really powerfull car + new driver=really powerfull car wrapped arond a telephone pole.

· Registered
214 Posts
Lswanie said:
U lucky bastard. i wish i could have gotten an itr for my first car. Id have to agree with 1greyteg and say to learn to drive the car before u mod it. the car is already fast as shit, get used to the power first. really powerfull car + new driver=really powerfull car wrapped arond a telephone pole.
oh shiet that's a funny ass description..haha...well it's sad but true.. i couldn't help but laugh....

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lswanie said:
? my first car is 2k2 civic ex coupe, its a good beginers car but i wanna move up :D yea after studing the ITR for the past 4 days i relized what its already capable of doing ablsolutly stock, thanks for all the imput guys, i may keep it stock when i get it and just go for looks, mabie JDM ITR front end?? who knows lol oh well.

-Kid86

· Registered
2,151 Posts
Yea, about a month ago a kid wrapped up his itr with four other people in the car going about 90 mph into a downhill turn. Its amazing that he is the only one that got killed considering the safety features of the car.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fulgore243 said:

Just watch out for insurance. Sub-25-year olds + Integras Type-R = you --->
<--- insurance company
about that, i know iinsurance is expensive for the ITR considering my age not to mention sex :D but exacly how much are you guys paying monthly for your ITR??
how much would it be for a 2k1 ITR?

LSwanie
Yea, about a month ago a kid wrapped up his itr with four other people in the car going about 90 mph into a downhill turn. Its amazing that he is the only one that got killed considering the safety features of the car.

danm thats crazy, and sad :(

-Kid86

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.