Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who care...Image Dynamics has started to update their website. www.imagedynamicsusa.com Some of the links are still dead or pointing to the wrong docs, but it's about time they did something.

It's still pathetic for such a great company, but at least they have new spec sheets for all their woofers - including the V2 IDQs, and have acknowledged the IDMAX. Photos and technology descriptions are up as well. They have also removed all of the small IDQ midbasses that are now discontinued.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
I wasn't sure i would live to see the day that site FINALLY got updated. It's about damn time I must say though. For a badass company like ID, and with the new products they have it is long overdue.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Hmmph. Still no info on the ID ONE. I have a good bit of info already on that monster, but I want more! Hopefully within a week or so they will have all the specs up for the ID MAX and maybe a teaser about the ID ONE. God will it rule all.

· Registered
3,194 Posts
I've listended to IDMAXs and HLCD's before pretty damn nice. I saw something the other day that made me drool. But the box wasn't done so I could listen to it, and I can't find hardly any info about it on the web. Does anyone have any experience with the Beyond Audio Inhuman quad coil ? it looks insane.

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen photos of the 15" inhuman, but from the looks it's just a SPL sub...not up my alley.

The max is just a loud SQ sub. I wouldn't plan on getting any info on the IDONE anytime soon. It's still being debugged from what I understand. They had one in the Passat at CES, but it wasn't working very well.

It should be outstanding once it hits the shelves though.

Illusion:

Where did you hear the HLCD's? In car or on a wall? Also, how what the foot room if it was in a car? What mids, etc? My HLCD's should ship on Friday...I can't wait.

· Registered
3,194 Posts
I've heard them in two cars. One of my buddies has them in a yukon denali(not much problem of foot room) and the other was in m3 e-36 which has about the same legroom as an accord. If there were 4 big folks in teh car and the front seats were moved up your legs would be right in front of them, and it would ruin the imaging a bit, but not that bad. But in both cars they sound freakin incredible. Nothing like them on them on the face of the earth. Just make sure you get a nice 30 band eq. Not sure what m3 has in it, but the denali uses audiocontrol EQTs and it sounds sweet. He hit the defeat on the EQ and showed me how they sounded, and oh my gosh were they bright adn way too warm, it made you squint listening to them(heheh figuratively). I have never heard that nice of a stage in a car though. the imaging is just freakin incredible. Close your eyes and just melt into sound.

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
illusion said:
I've heard them in two cars. One of my buddies has them in a yukon denali(not much problem of foot room) and the other was in m3 e-36 which has about the same legroom as an accord. If there were 4 big folks in teh car and the front seats were moved up your legs would be right in front of them, and it would ruin the imaging a bit, but not that bad. But in both cars they sound freakin incredible. Nothing like them on them on the face of the earth. Just make sure you get a nice 30 band eq. Not sure what m3 has in it, but the denali uses audiocontrol EQTs and it sounds sweet. He hit the defeat on the EQ and showed me how they sounded, and oh my gosh were they bright adn way too warm, it made you squint listening to them(heheh figuratively). I have never heard that nice of a stage in a car though. the imaging is just freakin incredible. Close your eyes and just melt into sound.
Were they up along the edge of the dash, or mounted further back? If they were directly along the dash, that explains the bright sound. You need to have a few inches of carpeted under-dash panels to deaden the bright (aka "hot") frequencies.

I have a PG dual mono 30 band EQ for them, so I think that I'm covered. Midbass will be covered by IDQ6's sealed in kicks, and one max for sub bass. Hmmmmm gives me a chubby thinking about it.

How was the stage depth?

Thanks.

· Registered
3,194 Posts
I've never heard anything like it. Most setups that sound good are real wide but not deep at all, the HLCD's were just.....I'm at a loss for words.. incredible.... astounding.... perma-wood :D

in the bimmer they are a bit back, the driver is almost sitting at the firewall with the horns firisng down a bit. The yukon had no choice, there was too much crap under there and too disorganized, plus it has the solid underdash and he didn't want to get rid of that, so he notched out the knee panels and then had covers made with orion mesh(not the carpet, the thin polyester feeling stuff). The yukon sounds muuuch better but he's just has a better total package, and the depth is phenominal.

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
illusion said:
I've never heard anything like it. Most setups that sound good are real wide but not deep at all, the HLCD's were just.....I'm at a loss for words.. incredible.... astounding.... perma-wood :D

in the bimmer they are a bit back, the driver is almost sitting at the firewall with the horns firisng down a bit. The yukon had no choice, there was too much crap under there and too disorganized, plus it has the solid underdash and he didn't want to get rid of that, so he notched out the knee panels and then had covers made with orion mesh(not the carpet, the thin polyester feeling stuff). The yukon sounds muuuch better but he's just has a better total package, and the depth is phenominal.
ok stop it...now you are getting me excited about mounting those horns.....if only SD wasn't backordered on the CD1pro MH's!!

Oh, and solid under dash is what you want with horns. If not, you get reflections that bounce around under the dash, and then you get multiple sources, as you will get sounds coming out of your air vents, defroster, etc. You should always seal the dash, then add horns. Also make sure that the horn body is totally coupled to the front edge of the dash.

· Registered
3,194 Posts
closes eyes and listens....piano is sitting out in front of your car. Horns are off in the distance on the right, a few strings plucking away right next to your door, the vocals slithering across your hood begging to be touched......

oh ok... I'll stop hehehheheh

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey do either of those cars have dash pads? If not, try throwing a sweatshirt or some towels on the dash....apparently by cutting down the reflections and cancelations between the windshield and dash your stage suddenly raises! At least that's what I have been told by ID's tech support.

Vtechnicalaccord.....go ahead and insert derogatory remark about dashpads :D

· Registered
3,194 Posts
I'm pretty sure the denali does. I just tried to call him, and his wife said he just left to pick up his new baby(bastard just bought a hayabusa). As soon as he get's back I'll let you know.

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
illusion said:
I'm pretty sure the denali does. I just tried to call him, and his wife said he just left to pick up his new baby(bastard just bought a hayabusa). As soon as he get's back I'll let you know.
Ok now I really don't like him...Hayabusa, a Denali and most impt...a sweet car audio setup!!!

Can you tell me the rest of his system too?

· Registered
3,194 Posts
I'm sure I'll miss something as it's not my setup. He has a DEX P9 deck, DEQ P9 that for some silly reason he's only using the time alignment and X-overs from it. 4 EQT's, 1 4xs x-over(just for the HLCD's and midbass, he usesd the DEQ for the rest of the system lol) 2 ID carbon fiber 6.5s(not sure what model that is) in kicks, 2 more in the doors with sealed boxes behind them, 4 IDQ10's , 2 McIntosh 602s running the subs and 2 Mc 404s, not sure how he has everything wired up, and there's some sort of focal utopia for rear fill, not sure what they are.

He has a dvd player and 3 10.4" flipdown screens too, but I'm not sure what they are. he just got them a few weeks ago.

When he get's home I'll pester him. and go pee on the tire on his bike lol

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you explain the 4 EQT's...should only have one pair. The mids are the newer CX series from the Chameleon Comp sets. What's really strange is that he has rear-fill....typically a no-no with horns.

Sounds pretty sweet.

· Registered
3,194 Posts
I've never heard a peep from the rear so I'm not sure what they're in there for, even sitting in the back you can't hear them, he just put the other pair of EQTs in a few weeks ago when he got the screens, I think he's trying to transform into a mulitimedia mobile, instead of one of the cleanest systems I've ever heard.

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well then tell him to sell me a set of those 6.5's for cheap!!!! They have the same midbass as the IDQ6's, but better midrange, and will play higher than the IDQ's

Thanks for the review.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
They had one in the Passat at CES, but it wasn't working very well.
Yeah, Fred Lynch's car. I talk to him now and then. He seems to LOVE the ID ONE. One day I WILL own it!

if only SD wasn't backordered on the CD1pro MH's!!
Rob, buy mine! LOL.

Vtechnicalaccord.....go ahead and insert derogatory remark about dashpads
LMFAO!!!!!! LOL. DASHPADS ARE THE COOLEST THING SINCE SNAP BRACELETS AND THE MULLET!!!!!!!! :) :D

Just make sure you get a nice 30 band eq.
Actually, horns can be AMAZING with NO EQ. I have talked to a couple different guys who have run them WITHOUT ANY EQ, and they both said that with the right xover setting they can be just as good. They both even competed using the horns and no EQ. I still say an EQ is a GOOD thing though, and 2 EQs are a GREAT thing.

God guys, you really hammered this post while I was at work. Save some for me next time, LOL.

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The EQ myth about horns came from alot of people trying to use home audio horns in cars. With the new bodies they work well. When ever you run drivers outside of their freq range they tend to need EQ to get them smoothed back out. Often people try to cross horns too low, the MH's from ID are good down to about 1.1kHz, maybe lower if you have a steep x-over slope.

Vtec....that guy Bboystevie on elite that responed to your f/s post is a good guy to do business with. Good luck on getting rid of them. If ID and SD take forever (as they often do) I'll be in contact.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Vtec....that guy Bboystevie on elite that responed to your f/s post is a good guy to do business with.
Wanna get me a link to that? I just checked my post on Elite and there were no replies. Rob, maybe you're too consumed with your dashpad to tell me the right info.....Maybe it was SD. I will check there also. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.