Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i decided to make a different thread for this because it's basically the most important thing i need to figure out right now for my H23VTEC swap. check the other thread for an update.

okay so here is the situation: for this swap i used all the H22 accessories (alternator, a/c, and power steering). I used the H23 crank pulley. I didn't realize this until the motor was in that the pulleys have a different number of notches on them, and one is a bit bigger than that other so i can't mix the H22 and H23 parts. However, I weighed my options, and decided that since the stock H23 parts were total shit and the alternator didnt work anyway I had to keep the H22 parts on there. Then I realized that it would be very simple just to swap the crank pulley over.

That is where I am running into an issue. It worked...I installed it and the belts fit fine as expected, HOWEVER...I am worried that using the H22 crank pulley on the H23 block could damage the block or cause problems with the crank and other associated parts.

but i reasoned it out. I figured that having a crank pulley designed to dampen vibration and shit, even though it isnt the right one for the block, is better than having one of those aftermarket, smaller, lightweight pulleys. (i've heard they can be harmful). but i'm still worried

basically...all i need to know is will using the H22 crank pulley cause damage to my fresh and lovely motor?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
no, it wont hurt it. dont h23s and h22s use the same crank anyway? if youre really worried about it, you could get it balanced but i dont see it ever being a problem

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure that the cranks are not the same. I don't think there'd be a problem using either crank though, though they're not the same, i think they're pretty much interchangable. I believe the H22 crank is balanced from the factory, while I don't believe the H23 crank is.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
94PreludeJDM said:
I'm 99.9% sure that the cranks are not the same. I don't think there'd be a problem using either crank though, though they're not the same, i think they're pretty much interchangable. I believe the H22 crank is balanced from the factory, while I don't believe the H23 crank is.

yeah the cranks are what makes the motors different from each other displacement wise. Now, you're saying that the H22 crank is balanced from the factory so that would make me assume that the way the crank pulley is designed to work with the crank may not be the same as the H23 crank pulley? they seem like they are designed much the same way though

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm not sure about their design, I just think that I've read of people wanted to put an H23 crank into their H22 for the extra displacement. I might be wrong on that though, don't quote me. And like I said, I believe the H22 crank is balanced already. Maybe getting the H23 crank balanced is the best?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
94PreludeJDM said:
I'm not sure about their design, I just think that I've read of people wanted to put an H23 crank into their H22 for the extra displacement. I might be wrong on that though, don't quote me. And like I said, I believe the H22 crank is balanced already. Maybe getting the H23 crank balanced is the best?

fuck that...there's no way in hell i'm pulling the motor out again. I think i'm going to leave it, because the way I see it as long as it's lined up right (it is), and it fits (it does), it's no worse than having a lightweight/smaller aftermarket crank pulley. When you think about it, there is less of a difference between the stock H22 crank pulley and the stock H23 crank pulley than there is between the stock H23 crank pulley and an aftermarket H23 crank pulley (as far as size, weight, function goes).

Also, when i asked on H-T there was someone who said they have been runnign H22 pulleys on their H23 for 20k miles (i have no idea why he was running them but whatever) and he said he has had no problems.

I do need to buy a new crank pulley though because the one that i have has a small amount of damage from when we pullled it out (the metal broke where it was rusty as fuck).

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
let shed some light on this. the ONLY thing that would cause a problem is your alternator. if the pulley on the crank is smaller ,then it wont give the right amount of rotation for the alternator to charge your batter. no what i mean.

for ex:
i Have a UR pulley. MUCH smaller then the stock. runs fine,frees up some power,revs a bit faster. only thing is that when im stopped an the lights are on, they get dim. becase the pully isnt supplyin e-nuff power for the alternator. got me.

I hope that makes sence. i just got off of work. :sleep <--time for some of that.

but other then that..youl be fine. no probs what so ever. I havent steared you wrong yet. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah don't worry about the crank then, you're fine. And DrivinVtec, I never thought of that. My car had UR pulleys on it when I bought it, and now I know why the lights dim a little. It's not something I notice unless I look at them, then hit the throttle and can see them get a little brighter, but it all makes sence now! :number1

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
94PreludeJDM said:
Yeah don't worry about the crank then, you're fine. And DrivinVtec, I never thought of that. My car had UR pulleys on it when I bought it, and now I know why the lights dim a little. It's not something I notice unless I look at them, then hit the throttle and can see them get a little brighter, but it all makes sence now! :number1
glad I could help. :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TOP END MS said:
why did you buy all H22 parts?

i didn't...read my motor swap thread...i bought two cars, a lude SI and a VTEC. Used parts from both to make one good car. The SI was shit except for the block. the alternator was broke and everything else was rusty as hell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.