Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite closing the gap in quality with Japanese automakers, U.S. automakers are losing ground to their rivals in sales, market share and image perception. Toyota over the last six months outsold Ford globally for the first time, and it is outselling Chrysler Group in the U.S. among retail customers. And Asian and European imports by the end of the year will likely top 25 percent of the truck and SUV market for the first time.

The imports have tremendous momentum, expanding the image gap between Detroit and Japan's leaders - Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. GM, Chrysler, and Ford, struggling to make any profit this year off auto sales, are all on the cusp of huge new product onslaughts next year and in 2005 they hope will turn more consumer heads. It won't be easy, says marketing consultant Dennis Keene. "It takes at least two cycles of really good product to start the redemption process. GM is just getting started, Ford is behind GM and Chrysler remains to be seen," says Keene. "They'd better be patient."

Toyota and Honda built up their credibility over twenty years, and they haven't stumbled badly yet. Passing Ford globally or Chrysler in U.S. sales is a symbolic milestone for Toyota, but losing light truck market share is a financial body slam, because that's where Detroit makes all its money. Between 1990 and 1998, domestic brands held 83 percent or more of the light truck market. In October, that share reached an all-time low of 73 percent. Toyota, for one, has proliferated sport-utility models faster than GM's Chevy division or Ford despite having a smaller market share.

GM's North American leadership, Bob Lutz and Gary Cowger frequently chide the media for grouping GM with Ford and Chrysler. It's true that GM is ahead of its domestic rivals in quality and cost cutting. But they all share the same headache of not being able to make any real money selling cars and trucks.

TCC

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
so if honda make light truck is that mean domestic really in big trouble?

·
Registered
17,562 Posts
hmmm... jd power says a little difft...

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4021893&src=msn
Top selling vehicles so far this year

Ford F-Series

Chevrolet Silverado

Dodge Ram

Toyota Camry

Honda Accord

Ford Taurus

Honda Civic

Chevrolet Impala

Ford Explorer

Chevrolet Cavalier

Source: J.D. Power and Associates

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
HondaFreak4Eva said:
hmmm... jd power says a little difft...

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4021893&src=msn
Top selling vehicles so far this year

Ford F-Series

Chevrolet Silverado

Dodge Ram

Toyota Camry

Honda Accord

Ford Taurus

Honda Civic

Chevrolet Impala

Ford Explorer

Chevrolet Cavalier

Source: J.D. Power and Associates
Toyota over the last six months outsold Ford globally so not just US..

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HondaFreak4Eva said:
ahh the global factor.. didn't take that into consideration :p
minor detail ;)
plus the light trucks will always be the best selling vehicle, always has been, and will be the a while to come.
the only thing thats keeping GM and FORD in the game is their trucks.

thats why the imports toyota and nissan is trying to get some of that market share. nissan just offered a full sized titan this year, so we shall see if they take any market share from the big three.
honda also has plans to introduce light trucks in the up coming years. dont expect it for at least another 2 years.

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
divinewisdom said:
plus the light trucks will always be the best selling vehicle, always has been, and will be the a while to come.
the only thing thats keeping GM and FORD in the game is their trucks.

thats why the imports toyota and nissan is trying to get some of that market share. nissan just offered a full sized titan this year, so we shall see if they take any market share from the big three.
honda also has plans to introduce light trucks in the up coming years. dont expect it for at least another 2 years.
whats the word on the nissan titan any ways i havent heard any thing about it but i saw a comerical for it and a suv version of it at the same time. is it good?

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
Moon Ill said:
This same thing was in a Honda Tuning mag(or mabey It. or Super Street) a couple of months ago. Honda's president was asked on what he thought of it. All he had to say was "The should try harder."
that was super street i know what your talking about i saw that to and had a good chuckle

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
mrmyz said:
whats the word on the nissan titan any ways i havent heard any thing about it but i saw a comerical for it and a suv version of it at the same time. is it good?
SUV = Armada. I've seen them around w/ "dst" plates and they are pretty big. One was next to an Explorer and it was much larger in all respects. The front end looks to be in the same style as the Frontier.

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
DontRevMe said:
domestic 3 need to focus more on exporting their vehicles...anyone have #'s on how many vehicles ford/gm/chrysler sells off shore?
chevy sells the vette over seas ther just not popular. i had a convo about this when a relative that was in the spanish military was visiting. ford sells vehicles over seas and so does gm and chrystler. In fact the ford puma won top gears car of the year or some shit. Also the focus is sold over there camaros are sold there some vehicles make it over not all and there are vehicles that our domestic companys sell over there that arent sold here like the ford puma. The reason that they dont export as much is because that theres no market for the us cars. Europe isnt a mass of big citys like the us is. they are mainly small country's with citys in certain regions. they need small little things like peugots and clio's to get around the little small roads.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
mrmyz said:
If you consider the Tundra to be 85% truck, the F-150 100% truck, the new Nissan is 115% truck.

SUV = Armada. I've seen them around w/ "dst" plates and they are pretty big. One was next to an Explorer and it was much larger in all respects. The front end looks to be in the same style as the Frontier.

Its about the size of a Tahoe

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
it thought it was more like 95%, 100%, 105%???

didn't toyota make the tundra bigger for next year to be at the 100% level?

anyways, DAYM honda for not makin a truck!!! even a small truck with a K24 with 160hp to go along with the tacoma would kick ass...I would definitely get one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.