Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing a lot about individual TB's lately and was just wondering what the big deal is. I'm assuming that it takes air to each cylinder rather than taking air and dispersing it among all 4. But is 2200 for a ITB kit really worth it? I was planning on going all motor once I get my gsr swap sometime down the road after I graduate this year. Can someone please explain exactly what it does and what the quirks and disadvantages are?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
You understand the basic theory which basically is: Instead of having a restrictive intake tube, filter and manifold you have just wide open throttle bodies for EACH cylinder. ITB setups let a lot more air into your engine than a normal intake system.
I'm sure ITB setups increase hp, but by how much I'm not 100% sure. IMO, I would say that they arent worth the $2200 unless you are going EXTREMLY N/A, and plan on building a FULL N/A drag car.
Disadvantages would be of course the cost and the issue of streetability. W/ ITB setups there is always that risk that you may suck some foreign object into your engine.
Advantages are HP and increased air flow.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you said they aren't 2200 ... do u mean they don't cost that much or they aren't worth that much? I've only seen them sold one place (modacar.com) and the toda one is more like 2700, and a diff one is 2200. I wouldn't think it'd be worth it ... but who knows ahaha.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
oomuskablindoo said:
you said they aren't 2200 ... do u mean they don't cost that much or they aren't worth that much? I've only seen them sold one place (modacar.com) and the toda one is more like 2700, and a diff one is 2200. I wouldn't think it'd be worth it ... but who knows ahaha.
Sorry!! I kind of left out a word in that post. I meant to say "IMO, I would say that they arent worth the $2200..."

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey its no problem man ... thanks for the info

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not that I have a civic or anything but I would say depending on your engine you should get a throttle body spacer which not only lets more air in from your intake but it sounds really nice. Oh yeah and spacers only run around 100 dollars. Thats a cheap and quick 4-5 hp.

·
Registered
218 Posts
can you elaborate on the throttle body spacer?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Correction on when it adds 4-5 hp. What a spacer does is spins the incoming air charge which causes increased combustion and ultimately more torque and fuel efficiency. Sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i havent seen these before.. where can they be bought?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well depending on your engine I have only seen 1.8L spacers made but I think with some searching you could find spacers through various performance sites.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

drool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts