Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a truck/ offroad guy, but picked up a bought a bolt-on built D16Z6. It's N/A and has stuff like a cold-air, Intake Manidold, MSD ignition (6AL W/coil, cap, rotors, wires, NGK plugs (type unknown), exhaust manifold, exhaust, and a prgrammed ECU.

The issue I have is that the car seems to lack power, it's just not where it should be when you get on it. To compare, I picked up my wife a bone-stock '03 Civic EX from an old lady... Side-by-side it was basically a dead heat.

I was told that the car had non-VTEC injectors in it (it's aVTEC motor obviously). Now from what I can tell, a non-VTEC injector is in the 175(cc?) range and the VTEC injectors are around 225. I think this may be having something to do with it. (Please confirrm)

Continuing, my brother in law has a '95 AWD Eclipse. Apparently it has 450(cc?) injectors, but is changing to a bigger turbo and apparently building his motor. He offered to give me his injectors, but he's not sure if/ how it would work.

Would these essentialyl throw WAY too much fuel (and run retardly rich), or can I have the ECU modified to run these injectors (shorten injector pulse or soemthing)?

Sorry for the long read, just wanted to paint an accurate picture.
Thanks for the info!

· Registered
10,346 Posts
do some research. honda used 235 or 240cc on the d16 motors. search injector flow rates, a honda-tech page should pop up in the results.

as for the 450cc injectors, make sure they are whts called saturated injectors. the other type common is peak and hold.

you will need to tune for the larger injectors. a chipped P28 ecu is common, but most any honda ecu can be modified to allow tuning. there are many different ways to tune, a few popular ones are crome and neptune. some people make there own ECU from whats known as the megasquirt . you can also find a hondata s200 or s300 ecu accessory, its basically an easy addition that allows fairly straight forward tuning, but can be spendy.

I would find a tuner shop near you and get their advice, as they would have more experience then me :lmao

hope this helps

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I missed a detail. The injectors are apparently off of a '99 DX model, so that would have teh 1.5 in it right?

If I'm understanding you correctly, all 1.6's, regardless of VTEC had the same pound injectors?

For some reason P26 for teh ECU keeps sticking in my head...

I will do some homework on the injector type (saturated v. peak and hold).

Thank you for teh info so far!

· Registered
10,346 Posts
no, honda killed the USDM 1.5 in 1995

· Registered
73 Posts
dsm injectors are 450cc low impedance peak-and-hold injectors. they require a resistor box and are way to big for a n/a d series. these injectors are normally used in dseries motors pushing 8-10+ lbs of boost.

some things to check

1) timing. it should be between 14 and 18 degrees BTDC.
2) vac lines, check for leaks
3) watch for CEL, make sure the CEL bulb works. if necessary pull codes from ECU
4) if the car did not originally have vtec, check the cabin harness for vtec wires
5) if the car did not originally have vtec, check the ECU, it should be a p28

CEL: check engine light

if the CEL is on, pull codes by installing a jumper wire between the two wires on the connector under the dash. youll find it on the far right side under the glove box. its small and has two wires.

to determine if your cabin harness has vtec wires find your solenoid (under the hood) remember what color the wires are and find them on the cabin to engine harness connector. make sure there are wires running to the cabin on the corrosponding locations of the connector. if the vtec wires on the engine harness run to blank locations on the cabin harness then vtec wont work. and make sure you ave the correct ECU

sound to me like the vtec isnt working. mine quit at one point and it had no power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.