Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big of injectors can I go on my H23a?
I think they are 290's right now and I want know if the ecu can handle 450's?

· Registered
388 Posts
2point6 said:
I use 440cc on my H22a with the stock ecu. I would suggest using a field or an APEXi fuel controller. The ecu does have some issues controlling the injector as idle as is it really rich. A hondata set-up would cure this.
Yeah but there would be no point in buying a hondata setup if all you had in the car were larger injectors.....

· Registered
161 Posts
rudeskawn said:

Yeah but there would be no point in buying a hondata setup if all you had in the car were larger injectors.....
What, I don't know what you mean rudeskawn... Why the hell WOULD anyone just put larger injectors in without other mods? I Looked at the guy sig and based it on the fact he is running boost. If you are directing the question to me, read my sig.

Reguarding the control, issues, The APEXi and Field units can only compensate when the ecu is functioning without the o2 sensor.(closed loop) In other words wide open throttle. The APEXi unit can control partial throttle to a point, but the the ECU takes over and makes corrections based on the 02 readings. this is why a stand alone ECU such as the hondata was suggested.

· Registered
388 Posts
2point6 said:

What, I don't know what you mean rudeskawn... Why the hell WOULD anyone just put larger injectors in without other mods? I Looked at the guy sig and based it on the fact he is running boost. If you are directing the question to me, read my sig.

Reguarding the control, issues, The APEXi and Field units can only compensate when the ecu is functioning without the o2 sensor.(closed loop) In other words wide open throttle. The APEXi unit can control partial throttle to a point, but the the ECU takes over and makes corrections based on the 02 readings. this is why a stand alone ECU such as the hondata was suggested.
The way I understood that was....you have larger injectors on a stock engine. Correct me if I was wrong.....also, what the hell is in your sig that you wanted me to read?

· Registered
161 Posts
Just to beat red Preludes... J/K. Actually it is my family car, That's what I had at the time so for me it was cool to smoke mustangs and corvettes with a 4dr. I also have an H22a powered Civic that is pretty intense. I am currently building it for alcohol. I also have a Porsche 911. I had to make all the cars unique so it seemed fitting to do the "old" accord as well.

· Registered
161 Posts
A lot has changed with the civic. It is a 92 Hatch. I was running the civic (Full interior) and the H22a was bone stock. I was turning upper 13's with that set-up. Since then I have been working on another 92 civic hatch chasis. This one currently weighs about 1450 LBS. Caged and all. The H22a I have in it I built for a friend So it won't be making any passes in this car. It will be going into another hatch and we will Be expecting high 11's N/A from a daily driver. The alcohol Motor is totaly different as it will still be N/A, but it is more for fun instead of to compete with since most (Import)sanctioning bodies won't let us run anything but gasoline. BTW if you are interested my Accord runs 13.2 @ 104 N/A still with the factory h22a ecu. I plan to get the accord in the 12's N/A first before I run the civic.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2point6,
How about I just get the Fields Fuel Controller and keep my stocks..Im only running 6-7psi and just want to keep track of the Richness levels.

· Registered
161 Posts
It will help out. I would also bump up your fuel pressure as well. The best way IMHO is to replace with larger injectors. The larger injectors will also ensure that there is little chance of going lean in the event of the feild unit failing somehow. For example The feild unit breaks a wire (Unlikely, but possible) and it shuts off. you are using the stock injectors and the feild is used to run them richer. All of a sudden the fuel mixture goes lean and possible detonation. Things can happen and IMHO it would be safe to have the larger injectors in and use the field to lean them. If the field were to ever fail in this set-up then the car would go rich and the risk of detonation would be lessened.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I See. man, Im not even thinking im running that lean. So if I run 310 injectors I can use my normal ECU and get the engine a bit more fuel.. cause thats the cheaper route. My buddy has some month old 310's for $200. But at the same time I need to know if Im running lean or not and the Controller will tell me that. hrmmm.
*oh and 2point6, whats your e-mail I got questions about overboreing.. thanks for the help.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did dyno it and it I was the last car of the day.. right behind a modd'd Viper. And oh joy the A/F sensor went out right before my car. So I was unable to see what I what A/F ratio I was running.

· Registered
161 Posts
I seem to share your luck.:) The fuel controller will not tell you what your A/F ratio is. I would also be somewhat sheptical of the "indash" style or A/F meters as well, because they tie into your stock 02 sens and the stock 02 doesn't react fast enough to get an accurate reading.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
really.. so I should just get the slightly larger but newer injectors and hold off on the Controller for now. They are saturated injectors on the H23a and H22a right. So I can go 440 with no problems? I hear the Civic Si's can only handle up to 310.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.