Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1991 crx with b16a

i have had some problems with my car recently and am joining the Air Force which means i will be getting a bonus. I'm looking at spending between 10 and 15 grand on the car. what are some suggestions?

some swaps that i was considering are:

k20 turbo 10k
F20c 15k
d16 turbo awd 300ish whp 10k
b16a turbo 4k

what do you guys think would be the most fun?
and dont say save the money because its getting spent one way or another.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
save the money or get a newer more reliable car that has a better platform to work with.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Why B20 when he can build a more reliable/faster K series. Boost K series FTW! A mildly built K swap will be nice about of a little CRX.

Then youll still have money left over for a nice suspension/ brake setup.
Dont do AWD, I hear to the time it take to swap and how reliable the parts are, its not worth it.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Why B20 when he can build a more reliable/faster K series. Boost K series FTW! A mildly built K swap will be nice about of a little CRX.

Then youll still have money left over for a nice suspension/ brake setup.
Dont do AWD, I hear to the time it take to swap and how reliable the parts are, its not worth it.
NO TRACTION EVER FTW lol:number1

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i already have adjustable coilovers and camber, so my suspension setup is nice. I pretty much dont have any body roll.

what im going to buy is an engine, new paint and get the interior redone, along with a new body kit...soon i will post a pic of the car and my current setup.

when you guys see the wires under the hood you will understand why i need a new engine haha

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
1991 crx with b16a

i have had some problems with my car recently and am joining the Air Force which means i will be getting a bonus. I'm looking at spending between 10 and 15 grand on the car. what are some suggestions?

some swaps that i was considering are:

k20 turbo 10k
F20c 15k
d16 turbo awd 300ish whp 10k
b16a turbo 4k

what do you guys think would be the most fun?
and dont say save the money because its getting spent one way or another.
good luck getting a k20 turbo build for 10K into a crx. a stock k20 swap is 6-8K by itself.

do a b-series turbo build (no b16 thought). for 10K you can have a built reliable motor with a nice aftermarket support and have money left over to improve suspension/brakes. but keep in mind what kind of car the crx is. i wouldn't aim for anything more than 250whp in a crx if you're looking for street ability and handling. i would aim for a nice 250whp and get a nice set of tires and lsd. you said you already have coilovers.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what i want is a daily driver that i can take to the track and compete with, and i am more than willing to put up with a harsh as hell suspension and a stage II clutch. and if i went k20 maybe i wouldnt go turbo? just 250hp n/a

i plan on taking the car to road courses on weekends and possibly some autocross.

will an LSD make a huge difference? should i not just turbo my current b16a?

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
what i want is a daily driver that i can take to the track and compete with, and i am more than willing to put up with a harsh as hell suspension and a stage II clutch. and if i went k20 maybe i wouldnt go turbo? just 250hp n/a

i plan on taking the car to road courses on weekends and possibly some autocross.

i'm not a fan of the b16 but i can be objective. a k20 is a waste of money for the power gained in my opinion. you'd be better off building your current motor and investing the rest of the money in tires brakes and suspension.

get some nice turbo cams, and a gt28rs turbo or something close to that in spec. you don't need crazy hp, it's a crx and it's fwd. 200whp in a crx is friggin fast. have you seen what 180whp lotuses do to ferrari's on the road courses?. 250whp and suspension tires and the driver mod should be your game plan.

· Registered
5,636 Posts

What I would do is an ls swap. It's decent enough on its own and if you decide to go turbo, it handles boost well sans vtec.

However if it were me, I'd find a dohc zc motor and boost that. It's a good motor if you want to go turbo and it's an easier swap then going from d to b series. I'm also very partial to the d-series.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
:lmao
NO TRACTION EVER FTW lol:number1
SoOoo :ninja:hehe

With 10-15k, honstely dude just buy a new car for a DD/track car. You wont need all of it to make a CRX a good car, as well as a daily. Unless you buy TOP OF THE LINE porducts or want to look like those tuner cars in magazines who A.) Make all thier hp well above 3k or B.) Buy the WRONG parts for show which really doesnt suit their overall vehicle performance at all.... Id say with a little over 5k youll be set.

Im trying to think of a good platform, somethin worth spending most of his money. Maybe a mid 90s evo or impreza?

If you so desire AWD, jus go buy a TSI or GSX...1st gen!!! Theyre cranks dont take walks and they look better.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
do a fully built d16Z6 with a Y8 head and intake manifold, shoot for 300hp, get some bigger tires, save the rest of the money for a house or some shit. Its a honda

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.