Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I installed my alpine type R's from a sealed enclosure to a ported enclosure with Polyfill, with the subs firing into the box. The enclosure is a pre-fab, but I was just doing an experiment to see if i can hear the difference. Anyway, now I see like something is burning. Am I burning my VC's??? I have had these subs for about 1 yr and never had this prob. Let me know. Thanks.

Sag

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already checked that out.

I am running proper guage wiring... 0 guage power to 2 4 guage wires; ground is 2 4 gauge wires that go to one 0 guage wire mounted to chasis...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If you don't see smoke, then it's not burning (not burning enough anyways, lol). It could just be the smell of your coils heating up. Technically, they were in a sealed (airtight) box before right? So if they smelled funny when the heated up, you wouldn't have ever smelled it before. Run 'em and get 'em to smell and see if you can locate the root of your stinky sub. If you're not seeing anything, I don't know what else to tell ya.

·
Registered
53 Posts
it's called ferofluid. it's a protective coating applied to voicecoils to help prevent over heating and destruction. you get a lot of that in ported boxes or inverted subs. especially when pushing the limits of your subs or playing for a long time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts