Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for my many Post hastes...
Can someone simplify the process you need to go through in USA (specifically in CA, since I hear CA is the hardest to get approval) to install a Japanese engine? A few specific questions I have is as follows:
-Do you need an engineering certificate/certification plate attached to the car to approve the engine swap, or do certain engines get pre-approved for easy "hybridization"?
-I hear that older engines (specifically the block) can not be installed into a newer car...Ive seen a few CA examples of older engines into newer cars (see FF Squad's vehicles). I assume that the engine must meet the same emissions standards as the original engine to pass (eg: evaporative purge valves, crank case ventilation, etc)?

Thanks again, peoples.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
-You need a smog certificate along with verification papers...than the CHP will double check VIN#s and issue a new set of badges to match the one on the engine block,interior dash, and door

-IN californis it is strictly enforced that if any engine be put into a car it should be of same or newer year...no exceptions.

BTW..FF squad probably doesnt car about being legal, thats how most people are in Cali...if you know the right people you can get away with mostly anything.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
JDM motors are AUTOMATIC FAIL....NO MATTER WHAT........but as for your question, besides what JAYMAN320 said....you also have to have all emissions related equipment for your engine..........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts