Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
instead of swappin to a b series engine (b18c1) and turboing that, why cant we turbo our d series engines? would it be possible to get in the 12s with a turbo + nos and some other modifications?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
now you are thinking. turbo'ing the d-series is a very good alternative to swapping a motor and will net bigger gains in the long run. Now... a turbo d will not make as much power as a turbo b18c1, but it is also $4k cheaper since most of us probably already have a d-series :)

A lot of folks have hit 13's with a turbo d. I don't see why 12's would be out of the question on a properly done setup with a good driver. You might want to pay a visit to http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/ . They are ghetto-fabulous with their setups, but there is a lot of knowledge there.

·
Registered
478 Posts
pika said:
instead of swappin to a b series engine (b18c1) and turboing that, why cant we turbo our d series engines? would it be possible to get in the 12s with a turbo + nos and some other modifications?
11's, no nitrous. Turbo D16. Street driven( i know ive seen him there personelly drive to the gates and then drive home)

http://sohchonda.com/ipw-web/gallery/SVP11secSOHCs-photo-shoot-spread-from-Dsport-magazine

seriously its not that hard to build the MOTOR. sub 12 sec ET's come with chassis tuning/traction/gearing/TUNING and making it all work together in harmony. power is actual the last part of the equation in my book. infact it creates more problems the more you make(traction, longevity etc.) sub 12 sec et's come more from chassis tuning and engine/gearing tuning once youve created the power to get to 13's.

IMO, if you can run 13's, u can run 12's with the same motor.

Why add more power when you dont need it to run "x_amount E.T./trap???"

·
Registered
478 Posts
thats nothin...

34psi SOHC D16 http://sohchonda.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6295 (youd have to register to view it, sorry)

he's in ohio, capable of likely over 500hp-......street trim.

i know in recent early tuning stages hes already hit 300 llb. ft at about 5800 rpms, with PLENTY of room to go on his setup/engine.

this is why i say that once your talkin big power adders, the differences in the stock power rating of B/k/h/etc vs the D's are very very negligible to even think about.

if your building for BIG POWER the SOHC platform is VERY accepting and easy to work with.

similiar in idea to what muscle car guys do with the small blocks.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
4dr said:
similiar in idea to what muscle car guys do with the small blocks.
Of course a "small" block domestic is still 3 times the size of a larger Honda engine... :D Of course with the crippling effects of low technology and a heavy chassis to haul around...

Some turbo/race B-blocks though are cranking out 800-900hp...and no I'm not knocking on the D already man! Over 500 is insane for a little sohc but you're looking at probably 9-10K to produce those numbers...not on pump fuel either...even a streetable 300+ you better maintain it and keep a vigilant eye on...

·
Registered
425 Posts
pika said:
if i were to every do a swap a B-series wouldnt every come to my head...92-95 civic hb with a h22 motor NO mods STOCK as walmart's shelves, with a decent driver can out run a c5 corvette<---stock, h22 or dont swap :p <---IMO, last time i checked thos time its was 13's if im not mistaking.

ive also heard that this b16b could be a hot setup the b16 crank but its using b18 rods whitch are longer (138mm/5.43 inches) compared to (134/5.28) and the 0.300-inch higher deck, this long rod- theory is good for a high rpm motor

·
Registered
425 Posts
im sticking to a D-series tho lots of ppl dont understand how much potential D-series motors have, ive posted it before and i guess i need ot do it in this thread to scroll down and read this:

The pedestrian counterpart to the hi-po B-series is the high-volume-productive SOHC D-series motor. The workhorse of traditional honda engines. It's ofter overlooked by the more sexier B-series but in fact produces more torque than a B-series motor, thanks to the slightly longer stroke and smaller ports. Its proven by RS Machining that a 170hp D-series motor runs about the same as a 200hp B-series. the D-series motors were producedin 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 litter displacmentsfrom the 80's until present day. The Del Sol D16A6 and the Civic DX have a good availability performance potnetial (even though they are not vtecs) The VTEC motors of the D-series are the open chambered D16z and the Closed chambered D16y. the VTEC head castings are P2J-4 and PM9-2, NON-VTEC are PG6

·
Registered
462 Posts
Good Choice!!

kommon_sense said:
now you are thinking. turbo'ing the d-series is a very good alternative to swapping a motor and will net bigger gains in the long run. Now... a turbo d will not make as much power as a turbo b18c1, but it is also $4k cheaper since most of us probably already have a d-series :)

A lot of folks have hit 13's with a turbo d. I don't see why 12's would be out of the question on a properly done setup with a good driver. You might want to pay a visit to http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/ . They are ghetto-fabulous with their setups, but there is a lot of knowledge there.

I have to agree with kommon_sense.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Hmmm, you should also give

TurboD16.com

a visit as well, plenty of info there, that's where i recieved most of my education...

:D :clap

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
klungemonger said:
Of course a "small" block domestic is still 3 times the size of a larger Honda engine... :D Of course with the crippling effects of low technology and a heavy chassis to haul around...

Some turbo/race B-blocks though are cranking out 800-900hp...and no I'm not knocking on the D already man! Over 500 is insane for a little sohc but you're looking at probably 9-10K to produce those numbers...not on pump fuel either...even a streetable 300+ you better maintain it and keep a vigilant eye on...
your kidding right??? domestic v8s being low technology?? more like we are playing catch up to them in more ways than i can begin to explain

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
fsufan814 said:
your kidding right??? domestic v8s being low technology?? more like we are playing catch up to them in more ways than i can begin to explain
Please, try and explain, I'd be intrested to here your reasons.

I don't consider new domestic V8s to be low tech, just different.

I guess it all depends on how you define technology, HP per liter, variable valve timing, hybrid power trains, etc.

or expanding on old technologies to make them comparible to new ones.

I see "doing more with less" as progress.

Then again using technology already implemented by another company to make your V8 competitive again can also be considered progress

The fact that until that technology was implemented on that V8, other companies where doing more with less cylinders and less displacement shows that some one else had alot of catching up to do, and thank god they finally did it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Peteex said:
Please, try and explain, I'd be intrested to here your reasons.

I don't consider new domestic V8s to be low tech, just different.

I guess it all depends on how you define technology, HP per liter, variable valve timing, hybrid power trains, etc.

or expanding on old technologies to make them comparible to new ones.

I see "doing more with less" as progress.

Then again using technology already implemented by another company to make your V8 competitive again can also be considered progress

The fact that until that technology was implemented on that V8, other companies where doing more with less cylinders and less displacement shows that some one else had alot of catching up to do, and thank god they finally did it.

depends if you are talking street cars or track cars, yes domestics were playing catch up on street cars, but on the track, 4cyl technology is having to go backwards in technology from the street technology that it has from the factory, theirs a reason why the fastest all motor 4 bangers you see are non vtec and carbs take bisi' for one example, look at his motor and the thought and design of alot of it, you can link 90% of the technology in that motor to v8 technology and proven theory, probably why he runs what he runs and high dollar 4banger cars with more displacement and cams are scrambling to figure out why they are still slower

·
Registered
478 Posts
exactly.

what i basically meant by my original statement was that the D series workhorses, are much as the old small blocks were in there original base model cars of the old era.

building vs buying.

ill chose building, and get exactly what i want rather than a compromise for less money. all it takes is knowledge.

....same as the old muscle cars guys... =)

all motors breath air and burn gasoline, nothings changed. only the hardware.

comparing an electric motor to a internal combustion motor is low tech/vs high tech. but which one would u RATHER have for performance tho???? (yes theres another analogy there)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.