Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I broke the needle on my temperature gauge trying to put a set of indiglo gauge faces on. They were suppose to be for my year CRX dash that I have (88-89). The gauge faces they set me were for a 88, which is different than an 89. Mine has the seatbelt indicator between the temp and fuel gauge. Trying to stretch the gauge over the needles is how I broke it, seeing how it didn't fit properly. The outer visor is the same for 88 and 89, but the mounts for all of the gauges are different and the screw holes don't line up unless you modify the hell out of the gauges. I went to the junk yard and looked at a lot of different year CRX gauges. 88's are different than 89's, and 90-91 are different than the other two previous years along with a different dash visor, but same cluster mounts. The question I have is - will a 90-91 CRX cluster work in an 89 CRX? I was able to get the entire 91 instrument cluster and visor for $35. I know the dimmer switch and rear defroster switches are different, so will have to rewire them to match up to my wiring, and the hazard switch will not be used in the cluster, so I will just block it off. Has any one done this before, switched years of instrument clusters? Thanks:confused:

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I will. I only paid $35 for the ones I have now (new), but like I said, they are for an 88 CRX dash, not an 89. The ones I got are really nice looking and very bright, but you can tell they are not for my dash. As soon as I get my new ones for my 91 Si cluster, I guess I will sell these. $20 bucks plus shipping to anyone interested. They will only fit an 88 rex though.....

Gee, my rex is really going to be a hybrid now. LOL. ZC engine, 89,90, and 91 rex parts. LOL. Thanks....:cool:

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it is real easy. Turn the ignition on, but don't crank the car. Look under the passenger seat at the ECU. A little red LED will blink in the front of it (not the top like CRX ECU's) for the code if it has any stored. The codes are listed in a Chilton's or Hayne's manual. To reset the codes on the early Integra's, disconnect the battery for about 2 minutes ( or the ECU if you rather pull the seat and not have to reset all of your memory on your radio). The manual says to pull the hazard fuse, but this only works on 90 and up Integra's. You could also pull the main power fuses near the battery too. to reset the ECU. Hope this helps.....:cool:

· Registered
1,389 Posts
89 is a little different wiring but the faces are teh same i have a 88 and a 89 dash teh 89is in my car and the 88 is broken but still cosmetically teh same u may have something different but teh 90-91 wontr plug right in

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me guess, I will need the wiring plugs out of the 91 junked car. I can go back and cut them out and then wire the new plugs to the old dash 89 harness. I just hope they are the same color wires, which would make it much easier. Thanks, I thought I was going to need those plugs.....

· Registered
5,502 Posts
Dude, don't rewire your cluster. You can find another one out there. I went thought 3 clusters, trying to find one for my 89 Si. Finally I found one that worked fine. Just buy the indiglos that dont require needle removal. Good luck man

JesseCrx

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, I didn't have to pull the needles, it was the fact that I had to try to stretch it over the needles to get it to fit. AS for rewiring the harnesses, it won't be that hard. I have wiring diagrams for the 89 and I used to install stereos for a living, so this would be a snap compared to the stuff I used to do with car alarms. LOL. Actually, I think I can just slide out the pins of the old plugs and put them in the right sequence in the 91 Si plugs. I already cut the Si plugs out of the junked car. As long as they are the same colors, shouldn't be a big deal. I am still going to try to find an 89 cluster, but if I can't, then 91 Si one is what I will use. By the way, from what I can gather, the one that is in my 89 rex is from an 89 Si. Not sure why, but that is the one that is there, even though the car is a DX. Thanks for the help everyone. I will let you know how it turns out.....:)

· Registered
794 Posts
i have an 88 and

tryed my 89 gauges in the car and it didnt work, the temp gauge went all the way up and the engine light stayed on.therean extra little box on the back of the 89 but you cant just swap that.i was thinking of doing the wiring also but fuck it.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
theres a site somewhere where a guy was sellng white face gauges for 20 bucks...this guy made it at home in his computer.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I che checked out some schematics on the cluster wiring and they use the same exact color wires as the 89. The only diffrenece is the speed sensor amplifier. My 89 has one and so does the 90, and 91 - just not sure they are same ones I believe I use 4 wires on my 89, the 91 has 5 wires. You are correct on the 88, it does not have the amplifier That is why your gauges did screwy things. I am going to try to get it to work today. What I will probably do is to wire the 91 plug ends on with the 89 ones. This way just in case it doesn't work, I can go back to the 89. If it does work, then I will disconnect the battery and cut the 89 plugs off. The only diffrenece other than where the wires go on the plugs is that amplifier circuit. I will have it figured out by today. I let everyone know how it turns out......:cool:

· Registered
798 Posts
I know the mounting points for the 90-91 are slightly off from the ones from 88-89.....

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, good news, I got everything to work. It is not for the faint of heart though. I spent about an hour and half soldering wires. I would not recommend this to anyone unless they have very good electrical experience in cars. Like I said before, I used to install car stereos (10years worth!), so I know what I am doing. Plus I had to figure out the schematics and trace circuits on the cluster. The mounting brackets are different too, but I will go back and get them on Monday from the junked car at the salvage yard )four phillips head screws and they are off).
As for the speed sensor amplifier, they are the same circuit, but not the same mounts. They only use two of the five wires going into them on the 91 cluster. I actually opened the up and compared the two boards. To do this exchange of clusters, you will have to cut and solder almost every wire on the three plugs. They are all the same color, but in the wrong pin configuration. I did have one problem that was easy to rectify. When I cranked the car, the seat belt light came on and stayed on (the seats are unplugged, so it didn't light on the old cluster), but when I went to high beams, that light would go out and the high beam indicator never lit. Pulling the cluster back out and tracing the circuits on the board, the red/blue wire on one plug needed to be switched with the other red/blue wire on the other plug. The idicators are in different locations and that is why it did what it did. I swapped the two wires (with some extended wires) and it fixed the problem. If anyone would like to do this (Not sure if I would want to again - LOL), I can explain in detail what you have to do. Now that this works, I can order aset of JDM gauges for it in the future.:) :) :) :)

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Loads - LOL, but it is a nicer looking set of gauges than the 89 ones. I also took my a/c vents out and painted/fixed them. I had one slot on the driver's side vent that was broke. I was able to make a new pin for it and it works great. Seeing how I had everything apart to clean them out (I believe the car was used in a field or something because when I got the car, no carpet and 2" of mud was inside it), I then painted just the bezels on all three vents blue with vinyl dye. They really look good. Today I am going to replace one of the axle seals at the transmission. Even though it was replaced already, I think I cut it when I put the new axles in. A six dollar seal = 3 hours of work. I also have to grind the boss down on the second O2 sensor for the NOS. It is not far enough in the exhaust stream to read properly. It is raining here, so a perfect day to get these two items done. Hopefully this week she goes into the body shop for paint.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.