Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanted to know what the insurance would be for the cars listed. my choices would be to get a gs-r or gsx but if insurance rates are a lot higher than thats probably not feasible. 17 years old btw living in california.

· Registered
110 Posts
The LS would be the cheapest. I know my insurance went up about $50 a month when we were sitting down figuring how much it would be and the fact it was a GSR came into play. A GSX or GST might be a little more than the GSR.

· Registered
185 Posts
Depends on how you work your insurance company. my family owns a 2000 sebring, a 95 dodge van, and my 98 gsr. we set it up so i am under the van and my mom is on the gsr. my insurance is $130 a month. i'm also 17 in cali but have no points and have good student disc.

· Registered
13,201 Posts
punzak said:
I pay $185 a mo. on a GSR. I've got a lousy driving record though. I've been caught twice doing 35+mph over the limit and I've been in 5 wrecks.

Watch out here I come!
Gotdamn! 5 wrecks?? Thats crazy, don't tell me they're all your fault...

INFO: 18 Male, 1 ticket, I own the car, and insurance under my name. So basically i'm a high risk driver with a "sports" car, so they trying to kill me with insurance...

But anyhow I pay about $120 a month for my Integra, and I just got my new SE-R and thats like double my Integra, as I just got insurance on that thing today!! DAMN, insurance almost spoils the fun of having these cars.....almost...:D

· Registered
44 Posts
Dang...guess i pay the most for insurance...Dunno why my parents picked the most expensive one. Insurance Sucks :mad:

I pay 280 or 290 a month even tho i supposedly got the good student discount.

Info : 17 - Male - 2 Door Sports Car - No Accidents - No Tickets on record yet

· Registered
110 Posts
GsrRacer said:
Dang...guess i pay the most for insurance...Dunno why my parents picked the most expensive one. Insurance Sucks :mad:

I pay 280 or 290 a month even tho i supposedly got the good student discount.

Info : 17 - Male - 2 Door Sports Car - No Accidents - No Tickets on record yet
I was paying $280 a month through Progressive for full coverage including my good student discount. I have no tickets or accidents on my record. I switched to Pemco (their parent company) and now it's down to $210 a month. I turn 21 in May and my insurance drops to $103 a month :eek:! Being 21 really lowers it down, in my case it cut my premium in half.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
if you want a gsx, go for an eagle talon tsi awd... its the same car, but the insurance is lower...

· Registered
125 Posts
hey do all u 17 yr. olds pay for the insurance ur selves. if so what the hell do u do for work? at my old job i'd never make enough money to pay insurance. i think mine is like 450 every 6 months but its goin up cause i just got in an accident in our jetta. don't have my GS-R yet but i will soon (hopefully) and i also got a ticket last month but im gunna fight it

· Registered
185 Posts
I'm 17 and yes, I pay my full insurance and my full car payment. I work with a promotional company and make $9 an hour. My family is under State Farm insurance. My insurance for the teg would have been like you other guys near 300, but when we switched the names around it really made a difference

· Registered
13,201 Posts
Yup pay for my own insurance for both my cars, and I bought the Integra all by myself, and I paid for half of the SE-R, and now the insurance is killing me, having to pay for 2 cars, and making car payments, and oh yeah SCHOOL is beating the living shit out of me too! Damn books only sell back for 20-30 dollars!! Bastards! But yeah I go school full time, and work my ass off, work like 50 hours a week, I even have school on saturday....like what the hell is wrong with me?? All this for an education and cars....damn, this better all be worth it.
~Jason 18/Male

· Registered
12 Posts
i pay 860 every six months for my gsr...wrecked my last car which was a 98 accord(paid 400 every six months) and had two speeding tickets and one fix it ticket.

· Registered
177 Posts
Insurance rates for for teg ls, gs-r, eclipse gs-t, gsx
I would call around the different insurance companies and get quotes for the different cars. BTW why would you buy a car based on the insurance rate? Why dont you buy the car you want and then practice good driving skills.

5 accidents before the age of 21? DAMN!:eek:

· Registered
137 Posts
go to the websites of various insurance companies and collect quotes. i know progressive does web quotes, and i believe others do as well. you can then go and modify details such as car brand and model to get a sense of how the rates vary.

shop around. rates can be EXTREMELY different among carriers. also ask about good student discounts.

in regards to your particular question, the GSR will be more, and potentially much more, than an LS. the eclipses, despite being turbo, can often cost less to insure. one reason is that many insurance carriers classify acura as a luxury brand, thus higher theft rates, higher repair costs, etc. the gs-r can be grouped into a more expensive sports/high performance classification as well giving you a double wammy.

good luck,
phil

· Registered
1,017 Posts
1. Insurance companies don't like to give insurance to highschool kids, or even minors for that matter.

2. Insurance companies don't like to insure kids in turbo cars, sports cars, or anything that has 4 wheels and drives.

It is as simple as that. I was paying more for insurance than my car payment before I paid it off. When I turned 21 I went and got new insurance which was way cheaper.

And if you can get on an insurance plan with your parents that is a good deal. I wrecked my first car (96 civic) and had a couple tickets and my parents insurance company told my parents that if they dont' kick me off, they are going to have to find a new insurance company for everyone.

Lets just say that soon after that I was on my own policy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.