Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading other threads about intakes / filters and a bigger filter matters? or what it is made out of? What is the deal with those new filters? Different styles; domes, cones, heat shields?
Eh.... and the material...? sponge like?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
bigger filter = more surface area = more air flow

As for material, always go for a K&N filter or equivalent - it's the most efficient and requires the least maintenance.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Targa250R said:

As for material, always go for a K&N filter or equivalent - it's the most efficient and requires the least maintenance.
yes but no...the K&N flows better than stock but doesn't protect against dust particles quite as well. A foam filter flows better than K&N and stock but also doesn't protect from dust particles as well :) The K&N is also very good because it is made out of cotton, is durable, reusable (filter recharger kit) and has a million mile warranty

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha

damn i love seeing those pics... makes me laugh my ass off
is that a hamster or a chipmunk?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Re: haha

Rice_Eater143 said:
damn i love seeing those pics... makes me laugh my ass off
is that a hamster or a chipmunk?
thank you!! It's a chipmunk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Targa250R said:

still what is the deal with those heat shielded filters?
and uh.... should i just get a new filter or a whole new intake system? and if the pipe is "fatteR" does that mean more air intake?

·
Registered
429 Posts
colder/denser air taken in = more power
thus a heat shield keeping engine heat away will give you better performance (how much more performance depending on the application) Another way to avoid heat is a cold air intake sucking air from outside the vehicle. On a stock civic cold air will give you something like 4-8 more horsepower.
Also K/N claims filtercharger does not allow fine dust particles to go through because the dust sticks to the oil compound.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bluesleeper94 said:
colder/denser air taken in = more power
thus a heat shield keeping engine heat away will give you better performance (how much more performance depending on the application) Another way to avoid heat is a cold air intake sucking air from outside the vehicle. On a stock civic cold air will give you something like 4-8 more horsepower.
Also K/N claims filtercharger does not allow fine dust particles to go through because the dust sticks to the oil compound.
thanks man i appreciate your reply:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts