Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get a short ram intake for my stock '98 dx. I am looking into getting either the AEM or Injen... My question is, I see that on some of the intakes they have a specific one for manual cars. Since my car is a bone-stock DX with an auto tranny, I wanted to make sure that there are no issues with that. Also, if anyone else has any other good experiences with another brand of intake let me know... I see a lot of cheapies on eBay ($17.00 or so) but I prefer to go with well-known brands and something that I won't need to replace a year down the road. I'm not planning an engine swap or anything, but I'd like a "tiny" bit more power. Also, since my car is stock and I have no exhaust system will I notice a difference in sound when I accelrate? I've never had an intake on my car before, so I was curious.

Thanks everyone ;)

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
hatchbackgirl said:
I am going to get a short ram intake for my stock '98 dx. I am looking into getting either the AEM or Injen... My question is, I see that on some of the intakes they have a specific one for manual cars. Since my car is a bone-stock DX with an auto tranny, I wanted to make sure that there are no issues with that. Also, if anyone else has any other good experiences with another brand of intake let me know... I see a lot of cheapies on eBay ($17.00 or so) but I prefer to go with well-known brands and something that I won't need to replace a year down the road. I'm not planning an engine swap or anything, but I'd like a "tiny" bit more power. Also, since my car is stock and I have no exhaust system will I notice a difference in sound when I accelrate? I've never had an intake on my car before, so I was curious.

Thanks everyone ;)
it would make a nice sound and also it shouldnt matter with auto or not. engine wise its the same maybe an auto or 5 speed might matter maybe with how the bends are for the intake but i doubt it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
asianpride, hey...quick question: Have you ever heard of "volt" mufflers and anything about their reputation? My husband is doing a dual exhaust on a del sol and is planning on either the volt or flowmaster for his car... is there one that you could suggest out of the two that would make a nicer sound that the other? Since we're talking about exhausts and intakes :) :clap

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
hatchbackgirl said:
asianpride, hey...quick question: Have you ever heard of "volt" mufflers and anything about their reputation? My husband is doing a dual exhaust on a del sol and is planning on either the volt or flowmaster for his car... is there one that you could suggest out of the two that would make a nicer sound that the other? Since we're talking about exhausts and intakes :) :clap
i dont knoe about those i never liked those nice 500 bucks muffler exhaust systems. mines just a cheap 100 bucks muffler and i have my own custom piping. check around the forum somehwere i believe we have a post about nice sounding exhausts.

i never heard of volt but flowmasters been around for a long time but dont knoe how their import exhaust systems are though

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up getting the AEM Short Ram for my car. I ordered it yesterday, so I should be getting it early next week. Does anyone know if the short ram intakes are complicated to install on my car? It looks simple, but I've been fooled before on other things that looked simple...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
it's very simple. just take off all you stock tubing from your stock air filter, then put the hose clamps on the new intake and bolt up the brackets. shouldn't take longer than 45 minutes.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
hatchbackgirl said:
Are there only a couple of bolts holding on the box that holds the factory air filter?
yea its easy. everythings right there..no tricks to it. have fun with the new intake

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I wish I would have seen this earlier,you should have got a cheap one.

There aint much to a intake(atleast not enough to justify the ridiculous price the name brand ones go for)

As far as exhaust go custom,you will save a ass load of money

·
Banned
87 Posts
here's the skinny on the intakes, the difference in price is beacuse of the name it bears there are no differeneces in quality that I"ve found unless the damn things made of titanium( not likely ). You purchased a short ram cold air intake, for maximum gain from that you are gonna want to extend it some how( I used tubing from my stock air box and extended it to the hole where the air box once was.) the short rams have a tendency to be not as much gain in hp because, they draw in the heated air surrounding the engine making the air less dense( not bad, just not what you want.)
The air sucked in from the stock air box is gotten from the right side of the car and you're going to want to disguard the lower portion of that as well. Iceman has a good intake system. Tho. I feel the tubing is a bit small, they seem to be pretty affective.

Wish I woulda seen this earlier too. coulda saved you some money.

defenitally go with custom exhaust work,
I have, full cat back exhaust with ractive high flow muffler, total cost.....185 and some busted knuckles.
125 for muffler-true race muffler( shouldn't have bought it )
60- for 2.25 piping from rear of cat back, and for the mounting and bending...
busted knuckles- anyone who wasn't spending 50 dollars or so for an actual high flow cat knows what i'm talking about. :evil

Female tuners are kewl!

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
asianpride559 said:
yea its easy. everythings right there..no tricks to it. have fun with the new intake
Don't forget to reset the ecu after installing the intake. You can pull the 7.5amp battery backup fuse in the fuse box under the hood (right beside the battery).

·
Registered
238 Posts
if you dont want to spend a lot of money on intake,DiY time

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
ricer99' said:
here's the skinny on the intakes, the difference in price is beacuse of the name it bears there are no differeneces in quality that I"ve found unless the damn things made of titanium( not likely ). You purchased a short ram cold air intake, for maximum gain from that you are gonna want to extend it some how( I used tubing from my stock air box and extended it to the hole where the air box once was.) the short rams have a tendency to be not as much gain in hp because, they draw in the heated air surrounding the engine making the air less dense( not bad, just not what you want.)
The air sucked in from the stock air box is gotten from the right side of the car and you're going to want to disguard the lower portion of that as well. Iceman has a good intake system. Tho. I feel the tubing is a bit small, they seem to be pretty affective.

Wish I woulda seen this earlier too. coulda saved you some money.

defenitally go with custom exhaust work,
I have, full cat back exhaust with ractive high flow muffler, total cost.....185 and some busted knuckles.
125 for muffler-true race muffler( shouldn't have bought it )
60- for 2.25 piping from rear of cat back, and for the mounting and bending...
busted knuckles- anyone who wasn't spending 50 dollars or so for an actual high flow cat knows what i'm talking about. :evil

Female tuners are kewl!
Actually from the dynos I have seen....short rams tend to give more peak HP while the advantage of the cold air is it's more streetable powerband.

but IMO they always say THIS IS THE BEST INTAKE ON THE MARKET when in reality it gives maybe .25 whp more than the competitor at 7000 RPM.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Don't forget to reset the ecu after installing the intake. You can pull the 7.5amp battery backup fuse in the fuse box under the hood (right beside the battery).
i dont knoe if im not paying attention but i hadnt noticed the back up fuse on mine yet.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone! I will make sure to reset the ECU when I am done. Nothing would make me better than the feeling of installing the intake all by myself... I will let you all know how it goes soon. Too bad I didn't see all the other posts before I bought my expensive ass intake. Oh well, I'm all about the name brands. :p

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
asianpride559 said:
i dont knoe if im not paying attention but i hadnt noticed the back up fuse on mine yet.
On my 93 coupe it's a red 7.5 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box.

Doubt it's much different on yours.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked on the fuse box cover and could not locate a fuse that said anything about it being for the ECU. Is there any other thing it is labeled as? I did see a fuse that said 7.5 amps. Is this the one? Also, what is the reason for resetting the ECU?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
It isn't labeled as "ECU FUSE" or anything.

But if I'm not mistaken it's the only red 7.5 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box.

Pull it out...wait 30 sec...stick it back in....start the car up and let it idle for a good 5 minutes or until the engine reaches normal operating temp. then shut the car off.

That's it your ECU is reset.
The purpose of it is to let the ECU recalibrate the fuel settings for the intake so that you'll have a good air/fuel ratio.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts