Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AEM Short Ram just arrived! :D I had just checked the status of my shipment, and it said it was supposed to come in Wednesday, so that was a little disheartening....I got off the computer, and i heard a knock on the door! You can porbably guess what happened from there.

Anyways, while I was reading the installation manual, there was a special note about my car:

Note: On 98-02 Honda Accord 4 cylinder models the adjustment of the pipe is especially critical. There is an air conditioning line that is in close proximity to the inlet air pipe. Upon installation of the inlet pipe, check the clearance between the inlet pipe and the air conditioning line. If there is not at least 3/4" clearance between the two components, then the following procedure must be followed.

It goes on to list what you should do. What could possibly happen if there isn't that much clearance? Could my air conditioning effectively stop working?

THanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
the intake pipe could rub against the a/c pipe making a hole into it, then all the freon will be lost and you'll have no a/c.

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
pattywak said:
My AEM Short Ram just arrived! :D I had just checked the status of my shipment, and it said it was supposed to come in Wednesday, so that was a little disheartening....I got off the computer, and i heard a knock on the door! You can porbably guess what happened from there.

Anyways, while I was reading the installation manual, there was a special note about my car:

Note: On 98-02 Honda Accord 4 cylinder models the adjustment of the pipe is especially critical. There is an air conditioning line that is in close proximity to the inlet air pipe. Upon installation of the inlet pipe, check the clearance between the inlet pipe and the air conditioning line. If there is not at least 3/4" clearance between the two components, then the following procedure must be followed.

It goes on to list what you should do. What could possibly happen if there isn't that much clearance? Could my air conditioning effectively stop working?

THanks in advance.
uhh ive never heard of that being a problem, its not like the intake piping gets hot so i dont see how it could cause a problem, is the solutions they give you an easy fix or does it look difficult?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the solution looks a little difficult for my first-timer self, it entails following the ac lin to behind the radiator and removing the bolt that connects the line to a bracket and beding the line under the bracket, so that's why I was wondering if it was a real problem.

Also, which line is the a/c line? This is my first time installing anything onto my car so I'm not too acquainted with the engine bay yet.

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
pattywak said:
Well, the solution looks a little difficult for my first-timer self, it entails following the ac lin to behind the radiator and removing the bolt that connects the line to a bracket and beding the line under the bracket, so that's why I was wondering if it was a real problem.

Also, which line is the a/c line? This is my first time installing anything onto my car so I'm not too acquainted with the engine bay yet.
yo fuck that, i wouldnt even do that

theres so many lines in there its hard to tell you which one it is without a picture, according to the installation, its the one closest to the intake lol

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
pattywak said:
haha yeah I'll probably just look for the closest line. Thanks anyways.

How's your intake doing for you? Did you need any specialized tools? so far all I see being needed is a screwdriver.
yea intakes are the easiest thing that you can do, it took me maybe 15 min at the most to do.

you might need to use wrech to take off the bolts for the stock airbox.. at least you do on the civics and RSX's lol, never really worked on an accord but i imagine its the same basic design

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
if you don't install it correctly the intake will rub against the a/c line. the a/c line is really hard, so what will break is your intake. it will eventually vibrate so much against the hard metal and create a hole in the intake piping. this isn't an issue w/ cold air intakes since there is a bracket to bolt down.

if anything, hardlines can be easily bent in a few spots to move it out of the way. or you can adjust the intake in such a way so it sits higher. you just have to turn the pipe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
btw the short ram intakes do get very hot if your hardcore driving for more than an hour. But nothing hot enough to melt lines. Just hot enough to be very uncomforatable to hold your hand against.

Just incase you feel it later and its really hot and ur like WTF?!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.