Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after scouring the internet about the benefits etc. of these two...I know for a fact that the intake system decreases your bottom end while giving you more top end....but what would the stock air box do with a high flow filter in it?......i think i am going to try to run with a K&N in the stock airbox.....everthing i seemed to find (JDM) they didnt sell intakes, rather they would sell either drop in filters or they would have a whole new airbox........what do you guys think?

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
all a matter of preferance.
Some tend to go for the most power they can have at the highest RPM... thus, most companies tend to cater to those needs... Cold air intakes, Aftermarket intake manifolds with shorter runners, headers with long runners, high end cams and cam gears, colder sparkplugs, electronic ignitions and shit like that...

but, if you just want to keep it real and add some HP to the car throughout the WHOLE rpm range, a drop-in is the best way to go... alot cheeper too. Granted you won't see 3-7 HP like you would on a tuned aftermarket CAI, but you'll get yourself and easy 3+ and better gas mialage.

:) :)
hope that helped some

·
Registered
153 Posts
ol'skoolrex_PH said:
all a matter of preferance.
Some tend to go for the most power they can have at the highest RPM... thus, most companies tend to cater to those needs... Cold air intakes, Aftermarket intake manifolds with shorter runners, headers with long runners, high end cams and cam gears, colder sparkplugs, electronic ignitions and shit like that...

but, if you just want to keep it real and add some HP to the car throughout the WHOLE rpm range, a drop-in is the best way to go... alot cheeper too. Granted you won't see 3-7 HP like you would on a tuned aftermarket CAI, but you'll get yourself and easy 3+ and better gas mialage.

:) :)
hope that helped some
old school: that looks like it hurt

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok....so anybody have an SI airbox they willing to trade or sell?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
where is a cheaper place to buy a k & n filter? i want to do one to my 4th gen accord. i dont want to put an intake system cause i feel it isnt worth it. yet im a cheap guy who dont want to spend money on a quality air filter. u think i will gain something? haha i love in tune performance though. what about them k & n oil filters, do those do ne good?

·
Registered
166 Posts
It all depends on where the filter is sitting too. The good thing about the stock air box is that it says waaaaay over there in the corner and doesn't get a lot of engine heat. Short ram air intakes get a lot of engine heat. I'm going to get a custom intake bent soon here, that is if I keep my rex.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
mmm...

drop in: drop in.. simple.. all gain comes from how much better the drop in is than the stock filter

cai: great way to go, pretty easy to install, takes in cold air, so more power, but filter will get dirty fast

ram air intake: wrong way to go... it'll suck in the hot air from under the hood and that's what you don't want... in the best case scenario you'll just gain noise and have no loss in power... but on long drives when all heats up a lot... you'll most likely loose some power

air box: best ever... same advantages as the cai, which is cold air... plus you get the short ram effect, which is very nice for top end power... problem is: you'll have to relocate your battery to the trunk...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
go to kragen or autozone for your K&N drop in...or go to the K&n site

1 - 9 of 9 Posts